Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snowkiting is NOT an extreme sport...

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there,
I was at the London Olympia ski show last WE, leaving the french alps for a couple of days in order to advertise for snowkiting. But after talking to a looot of people, I realised how unknown, or missknown Snowkiting was...

So, that's why I'm posting this : to try and give a clearer idea of what Snowkiting REALLY is.. for the one who don't know yet! Very Happy

1st common reaction: "Hum.. Snowkiting... yes, saw that on TV... too extreme for me! "
Well, NO... Snowkiting is NOT an extreme sport.
As skiing CAN become extreme if you go loose yourself in the middle of some cliffs, or in an area subject to avalanches, you can have fun without putting your life into danger as long as you stay on the pists, from green to red.. even black.
But of course... like in most skiing movies, what you see on TV is hardcore, big jumps, and stuff... which does not mean that skiing is only about going BIG.
Same thing applies to Snowkiting.

2nd reaction : "How high would I fly with a Snowkite ?"
Well... Snowkiting is NOT about "flying". It's NOT like paragliding, or lately SpeedFlying where you spend your time in the air.
Snowkiting is just a way of skiing, or snowboarding, using the power of a kite, in order to cruise, pulled by the wind, along various flat grounds, or up hill. It is a free, eco-friendly and effective ski-lift which will take you anywhere you want in the mountains, smoothly.

Of course you can do some freestyle with a kite, even jump pretty high, but it is only for the experts who are using big kites, or go out in strong winds.

Snowkiting is a close cousin of Kitesurfing on the water. The gears are very similar, and kites are controlled the same way.
But Snowkiting is easier to learn, since you're standing on hard ground, without any wave crushing on your head and filling up your nose with salty water... Beside, since sliding on snow is very easy, Snowkiting only requires light winds to work, which means smaller kites and less power... Smooth and easy!

One sure thing though : Snowkiting IS the best gateway to access Kitesurfing, because within 2 to 3 days, you can learn how to Snowkite. So if you fancy the idea to become a Kitesurfer next summer, it will only take you a few hours extra to learn how to stand on water after you learned on snow.

Well now, don't tell me you don't know what Snowkiting is !! Very Happy

Photo below : Last September, cruising the mountains in Los Andes (Argentina) for kilometers.. and kilometers...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
is that different to speed skiing or a different name?

edit: I never read things properly, so its not speed skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
No you're right, it is different.

"Speed-skiing" (officially called Speed-Riding or Speed-Flying) is a way to go down the mountains at high speed, under a tiny paraglider (8 to 14m²) with skis, so you can alternate skiing and flying.

I do Speed-Flying as well, and THAT, I would call Extreme.... according to the nice crashes I already have in my records ! Wink
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I've got a flexifoil bullet which I've toyed with taking on skiing trips in the past. It's probably not big enough to get much fun out of on skis, (it's only 3 m )
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've been paragliding for a few years (7 actually) and have often wondered about snow kiting.

Can you tell me how on earth you decide what size kite you need?

Obviously smaller for stronger wind, larger for heavier people but where on earth do you start? (I'm about 90 kg).

Puzzled
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
flymountains wrote:

1st common reaction: "Hum.. Snowkiting... yes, saw that on TV... too extreme for me! "
Well, NO... Snowkiting is NOT an extreme sport.
As skiing CAN become extreme if you go loose yourself in the middle of some cliffs, or in an area subject to avalanches, you can have fun without putting your life into danger as long as you stay on the pists, from green to red.. even black.
But of course... like in most skiing movies, what you see on TV is hardcore, big jumps, and stuff... which does not mean that skiing is only about going BIG.
Same thing applies to Snowkiting.

Laughing Laughing good luck fm.

People who use the word 'extreme' in a skisport context latched onto that word in 1995 and have held out against all comers since.

Beats admitting the fear.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
hellfiresliding wrote:
but where on earth do you start? (I'm about 90 kg).

:~/

Google "Trainer kite".
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Previously kite buggied so thought I'd try it in La Ros (Home of x-treme sports). Found it very difficult, however I was totally knackered, hungover and above 2000m.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kite buggying is where it's at. However, this thread has made me want to replace it's wheels for skis Very Happy
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Fergus

A 3m Bullet would probably be more than enough in.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a snowkite school on the Col du Lauteret between Monetier and La Grave, it looks fun.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, interesting, might have a look at that. My brother has a kite set that gets occasionally used with his mountain board. Good fun Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
My sister is investigating the possibility of a holiday including some snowkiting tuition for her son (highly capable skateboarder and good snowboarder). She's been in touch with one or two outfits, including one in the Pyrenees. Ideally she'd like somewhere sociable (he's not a super confident and sociable lad) where he could do some other stuff as well, if he doesn't really take off (Puzzled ) with snowkiting. Any Snowheads tried it? I have seen them in the distance in Les Saisies but I hardly think that's a natural home for extreme sports (and despite the above, snowkiting is certainly more extreme than what I spend my time doing. wink ).
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I'd never heard of this combo; a friend just sent me this link:
http://youtube.com/v/e22DuvLTwsU

Awesome!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have a look at winterhighland. Gordie seems to be doing a lot of snowkiting it the English ski centres. eg this thread:
http://www.winterhighland.info/forum/read.php?2,95507,page=5
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy