Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Montafon or Serfaus/Fiss?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can I tap into the collective snowhead wisdom about Serfaus/Fiss and Montafon?

Basically me and +1 are planning a two week trip to Austria, early March, with a week in Lech or Ischgl (been to both and enjoyed immensely) and another week somewhere we haven't been, eg Serfaus/Fiss or Montafon?

We're advanced skiers, ride off/between-piste as much as possible, and go primarily to ski, have a few apres beers, sauna, and explore the local food/wine in the evening. Prefer B&B in a hotel (most we stay in seem to be 3 star!), but will consider half-board. Late-ish nights happen, but are much rarer than being on first chair for fresh tracks.

Both Serfaus/Fiss and Montafon seem to have a lot of terrain to explore, pretty reliable snow records, and sound nice places to stay. So, questions:

-any thoughts on which has better terrain?
-any suggestions on where to stay, especially in Montafon? Gaschrun/Schruns seem likely candidates, and happy to catch buses between areas, but a hotel near lifts and bus stop would obviously be preferable. Location seems less important in Serfaus/Fiss, but suggestions for good hotels appreciated.

And all random thoughts/comments appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gortonator, Not been to either resorts but are on my radar. Was seriously thinking about Serfaus this year for the family trip but once I was kindly advised by my wife that I would not be going on my boys trip to St Anton, I had to opt for Stuben so that I could get my Mooserwirt fix. Serfaus is very family orientated and my brother in law went on a father and sons trip there a couple of years back and enjoyed it thouroughly. Have you thought about Warth/Schroeken visable from Oberlech but road cut off in winter - area has best snow record in alps with over 12m per year. They do run a freeride comp there, so presume that the off piste would be good.
Sorry I can't be of any more help.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boabski, have looked at Warth/Schroeken mostly thru info in Good Ski Guide. It's on the radar, but too many places are! Debating extending trip for a couple of days so this could be a candidate for a short visit. Or maybe short trip to Serfaus, and a week each in Montafon/Lech? Or maybe a couple of extra days at Hochzillertal ... had a great day there last year. Too much choice!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
gortonator, we are actually thinking along the same lines as you but for Feb 2010 - we have been going to the Portes Du Soleil for many years now and have decided on a change - something very different for our family group of about 15, made up of children and adults of all abilities. We all like to drive so prefer easy accessibility from Calais.

We now have to go at half term so are looking for somewhere off the beaten track a bit to keep the costs down and avoid crowds and the Montafon valley has also been suggested to us. Schruns is apparently a good base.

Have you found out any more since your post about that area?

I'm also looking for 'all random thoughts/comments' and suggestions (constructive..! wink )
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
we're leaning Serfaus right now basically because of higher, linked terrain, but may do a couple of days at Montafon on way - to be decided soon. Looking at hotels right now at both places, so anything could happen.

Guess this thread isn't about France so no one on Snowheads can comment Wink
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gortonator, Laughing

I'm off to Montafon middle of Feb, so will report back afterwards!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Elizabeth B, looking forward to report - where ya staying?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Elizabeth B, that's great - look forward to reading it.. Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
gortonator, can't remember, but it's about 1/2 hour away from the skiing.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Just back from Montafon today, sun shone all week, perfect conditions top to bottom. It's my third time there and will be going back again in 2 weeks.
There are 4 main ski areas. Schruns, good skiing but mostly blues, one 12km long if conditions are right. Good off piste reasonably well served by lifts. Lift system old and quite slow. Total extent of piste about 40-50 km.
Golm, about 15 mins by bus away, lovely mixed skiing, mostly reds, again some lovely long runs down to Vandans, conditions permitting. Good quick lift system. Off piste a bit more limited. New this year a "rollercoaster ride" on rails, 2600 meters long with a drop of 350meters, great fun after a day on the slopes.
Gaschurn- St. Gallenkirch area, biggest in the valley, lots of blues/reds, good lifts, quite a few "ski routes", over 100 km of piste, definitely 2 days worth here. Bus from Schruns is about 20mins.
Gargellen, quite a bit up a side valley from Montafon, bus journey time 25-30mins, bus from Schruns not too regular. Small area of piste 25-30 km, but a great feel about the place, remote mountain scenery and runs. Good off piste and lifts. Possibe to do a daytrip with a guide offpiste over the Swiss border to Klosters where your liftpass is valid. Did'nt try it myself, I was with my wife and children but it's def on my list. Its rated easy but does involve a 40 min climb.
I believe other guided trips can be arranged over to Galtur/Ischgl area for more advanced off pisters.
We stay in Schruns. Its by some way the biggest town and is accessible by train (train terinates here so any further up the valley is by bus). It has a huge selection of accomodation, all types and prices. Good choice of restaurants, very few pubs. Really only seemed to be one apres ski bar, at the cablecar station. The other places Mentioned above also have accomodation options but I only ever skiied in them and returned to Schruns after. One thing to be aware of, Schruns has a "sister" type town, Tschagguns across the main road in the valley. It really is a seperate resort but they are both marketed together by the tourist office so beware where you end up.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
loobylou, Thanks - very useful info Smile
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
loobylou, i'll second that thx!
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just got back from Montafon. We stayed in Feldkirch, so were a 30 min journey away from the slopes, but were in a nice hotel. We had our own coach, but the public transport was good and it was possible to do door to door by train/post bus. We had originally planned to ski the whole area, but circumstances (including snow conditions and us being lazy) led to us just skiing the Hochjoch area (above Schruns).

The snow was amazing, so it's hard to pass judgement on a resort and compare it to somewhere you have been in ice! Despite it being half term, queues were minimal or none existent, and it was nice that there weren't too many other English voices around. I had been concerned by reports that English wasn't that common in the area, but never had a problem communicating. One of our ski instructors was English and everyone else seemed to be fluent! The ski area wasn't massive, but there was a bit of variety and it was possible to do some very long runs. Lifts weren't super fast, but got you up the mountain....and the area also had the "world's longest ski tunnel"!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy