Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

K2 Crossfire or XPlorer

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm just renewing my K2 Crossfires having just sold my 2 year old pair - and have been looking at the specs - the Crossfire has changed slightly and is a little wider than the last 2 pairs ive had.

Most of my skiing is Piste based with a little foray in behind the marhers occasionally. I've just noticed the Xplorers which have had good reviews as an all mountain ski and good on piste and am wondering if these arent slightly more future proof than just another pair of crossfires.
Has anyone got any first hand experience to compare these skis ? I ski a 177cm and class myself as a confident fairly fit intermediate ( who needs to lose a few kilos ( Im 6ft tall and 92kg)before realising his true potential lol
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Xplorers are meant to be great, but more on the softer side. The recon might be worth a look a very similar to the crossfire just a bit fatter..also have a look at the Volkl AC seires..whereas the xfires are meant to be a lot better then have have been in the last couple years
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Had thought about recons -I saw a lot of them in the 3Vs this year but they were all shorter lengths - Is it totally naff to have 177s or 181s now despite ypur height weight and ability. In most lift queues my 177cms seem to be much longer than everyone elses!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
might be hire shop jobs...

my xfires are 181 (i think, haven't skied them since getting new skis this season) and made most peoples look diddy, and now they look all thin and weedy compared to my punishers
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I've used both the crossfire and xplorer and now own the xplorer.

they're totally different skis. the crossfire is a fair bit quicker on piste. the xplorer is still pretty fast on piste and a wee bit slower edge to edge. off piste it's much more sure footed and confidence inspiring. it's softer flex also makes it a bit easier to live with at the end of a long day.

If i was spending 95% of my time on piste i'd have the crossfire.

i spend as much time off as on though, so have the xplorer. horses for courses and all that.

If i spent 95% of my time off piste, i'd have something wider and longer... this was highlighted up at cairngorm a couple of weekends ago in 3ft of fresh where the xplorers, although better than a lot of skis, still weren't capable enough.

Very Happy
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Shoogly Yo've probably just answered my question for me Thanks - I do most of my skiing on piste at the mo , so I think Crossfires are the way to go.
I think I may try some xplorers whilst im away if i can
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
oh... and just to add, although i've said it before...

i really don't know why anyone would take the recon over the xplorer - it's like they've kept it in there to appease loyal fans, of which i think there are many.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
shoogly, I was interested in your comments on the recon, a ski I bought about three years ago for a bargain at under 300 euros with markers via sportconrad when the £ was much better. I don't think the xplorer existed then but is it a natural upgrade path ? I'm not overly impressed with the powder 'float' (but we don't have the opportunity to worry about that too often in Scotland Very Happy ) and I lost the sheer bulletproof holding I had with my Rossi 9S's. Overall though, I think they've been a really good ski and with about 50 days on them both on and off the groomed, they are still feeling just as good. They are admitedly still a pretty heavy ski, especially compared to my bro's B2's and my touring 'approach skis' but I kind of rationalise that it's because they're stronger.

What overall benefits then do xplorers bring over recons ?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
moffatross, The Recon is an old ski, not much changed over the years.... the Explorer should be the ski to rectify that ...
It is 85mm which will help it in deep stuff...and newer tech stuff should retain a decent edge hold.

I always thought that the Recon was a pretty decent ski but not outstanding at anything...so is now way over the hill and outclassed by others, IMV. Whether the Explorer is too late to make up that ground, I am not sure, but it sounds like a detuned Outlaw which never really got so much recognition. If K2 have split the difference between the Outlaw and Recon and ended up with the Explorer, that isn't going catch up...

If it is a totally new ski, then maybe.... so if you ski 50-50 then the Explorer will be nmore help off piste...whilst still doing ok on it.

This is everyones dilemma..what do you want to excel where...because it will catch up with you in the opposite use..

The Explorer model of thinking is that it is good..not great ..all round
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the explorer has a lot more flex and I think based more on the recon..being 8mm thinner in the waist then the outlaw.

I wonder if maybe you shoudl have a look at the Head monster range rather then the apaches
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marksovereign,

Recon 78mm. Explorer 84mm and Outlaw 88mm.

The Outlaw should have been really good but was just too dam heavy, IMV. The Recon was an easy throw around ski but dived off-piste unless you were right on the money with the lenghts...IME.

The Explorer should be the ski to put all that right ...but whether it is and the game has moved on....?? I expect this to be true.

88mm waist and a friendly piste carver ala, Stockli, Dynastar, Thunders, MX88 is where the market is or is heading so these ski do work well enough off-piste and not just in your little s's either, they are stable enough to straighten the line.

If you are decided on K2 and what to look futher than beyond the piste markers then get the Explorer, IMV.... if you want to stay 90-10, then maybe the Crossfires.

I'd be looking beyond that maker tho, if it were me...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Outlaw 92mm
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for the info. Although I have no brand loyalty, the K2's have been through some serious rock wars and stood up well.

I was dithering on some Volkl's at the time of purchase but the K2's won out on the basis of being the better bargain of the moment. I'm unlikely to be replacing anytime soon either but on the basis of what's been said, if an absolutely drop dead price for some Explorers cropped up, I might just be tempted.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hi, I'm also having the same dilemma. Crossfire or Explorers. I am a very capable skier who has spent most of the time on piste, occasionally look for powder to sides but not an experienced off poster. About to buy my first skis, I still plan on skiing the groomed slopes but want something I can use the occasional times I venture off. Also want a ski to keep me challenged. My height is 5'11'' and weigh 156 lbs. Think the 177s maybe too big for me as well. Amy help and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
oh... one thing i'll say is that the Xplorers seem to be extremely well made and have coped very well with a couple of serious rock bashings at cairngorm and glencoe...

Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy