Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Foot position - Not Angle I'm talking width.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi folks I've just bought my first board and trying to get my setup right having spent the last hour in the Chill FactorE I've seen that my feet are a lot closer than most of the boarders there, even though we are of a similar height. I ride a 159 and am 5'10. Now I originally setup my bindings to be roughly hip width apart (I can actually see my outside binding holes on each set) which from a comfort persepctive is good. But am I limiting myself in terms of riding by having such a narrow stance, I'm thinking leverage of the board? thoughts much appreciated cheers
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
i'm prepared to go down under a barrage of criticism, but in my book being comfortable is a fine place to start. As long as you're able to flex and move easily then comfort is pkrimary - you'll be concentrating on your riding not your stance. Don't know where you'll be riding but shifting your stance back a little will help in powder. I'm similar to you 5'10 on a 161 (but i'm a bit of a fat bloke and like the extra float Very Happy )
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
this is how i was taught how to set up board on the mcnab course.

1stly you look at width - stand hip width and put pressure on your '4 edges' - toe left foot, toe right foot, heel right foot, heel left foot. Now edge your feet a couple of inches wider and do the same pressure - does it feel 'stronger/easier', basically keep doing this at different width positions and you will probably find one width where putting that pressure on feels comfortable, easy and in particular 'strong'. That is your personal width setting.
(In every case for the riders in my classes it was wider than they were currently riding)

2ndly - angle - you're not so bothered about this - but for the benefit of other folks - I think this bit was about sinking down and doing the same 4 pressures as before but at different angles and finding the angle that had least strain on your knee. This gives your personal angle. Depending on what kind of riding you do - can then choose to use that angle on a 'duck' setting if your riding switch alot, or if like me - your cruising around most of the time I like to 'have more' of the angle on my front foot

Hope that makes some sort of sense...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I used Masque's guide:

Quote:
Binding Width:
First measurement: Rest your elbow on a flat surface, make sure your forearm is vertical, extend your middle finger and give someone the 'bird' . . . measure from the tip of your index finger to the flat surface and remember it because that, for the vast majority of us, is the natural distance between the centre-foot points when we are best balanced to fight or flee. It's also the same as the measurement between the axes of your knee and ankle joints, but essentially you should use this as your basic distance between the centres of your binding disks. This measurement is where you first set your bindings as a beginner.

No issues with it. Very comfortable. As get more technical I might feel the need for a change but for now it's great..
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
bladeski, I went througha phase of setting my bindings really wide. It allowed me to really rip the board around, especially when doing little jumps and rails, but at the cost of overall comfort. I found if I set them too far apart, because my legs (calves) were angled, I was putting too much pressure on the outside edge of my foot and creating heel lift. Cramps along the outside of my foot were excrutiating in the end. Now I've basically set it so my bindings are just wider than if I were to stand up straight on the ground and I can ride all day wihout even feeling fatigued.

As for angles, I used to ride -20/+20 duck bu I still don't feel alltogeher comfortable riding switch so I've binned that idea off and have my rear at -7 and the front at +15 so it's more a of a downhill charging stance. I can still ride switch but having a setup like this means I have much more control ovber big carves, especially when leaning back in powder. It feels more like surfing now.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
cheers guys quick response as always. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just setup my bindings on my new board following the tips in the GoSnowboard book (McNab again).
Basically they are set up with my feet about hip width apart.
Ridden 2 days with this setup and have felt great after each day - although I don't know if it's the Skate Banana contributing to that.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
There are plenty of instructional videos on youtube Smile
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hip width sounds a bit narrow, shoulder width is more normal.

One suggestion I've heard is the width should be the same as the height of the top of your knee from the sole of your heel, although I have no idea why!

Start at somewhere around shoulder width, then try wider/narrower variations to see what feels best. Good riders are likely to find that a wider stance offers better control (as your feet are nearer the control points) but there is obviously a bio-mechanical limit so it's not the-wider-the-better!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
the Kruisler route is the one - though I sometimes choose it a little wider... Basically you want a fairly equilateral triangle if you imagine your knees nearly together making the triangle with your feet. - I find its slightly wider than hips for me

The reasons behind it are simple - if you ignore the board and stand feet together you've got great backwards forwards stability and rubbish sideways stability, if you put your feet as wide as you can apart you've got great sideways stability and rubbish backwards and forwards stability.... so you want to strike a balance between the two

having said all of that if you ain't comfortable its not worth a fig - so get a feel for it!

Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy