Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Skiing in Chile

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi Snowheads,
i am lucky enough to be going to Santiago de Chile for a business trip in June which is (not entirely coincidentally) the start of the ski season. I am thinking of staying for a week after the work has finished to ski. My questions are:
1 - Is it better to be based in Santiago and commute to the ski areas? (Valle Nevado is the closest i think)
2 - if so what's the best way to commute?
3 - If it's better to go to a resort which one? and does anyone have any recommendations for somewhere to stay?
All suggestions gratefully accepted snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went to Chile a couple of years ago and had a fantastic time.

We used the services of CASA Tours, a U.S company, which I cannot recommend highly enough.

Although we did a 2 week trip they offer an 8 day version, which visits 3 or 4 ski areas and includes all ski guiding (as much off piste as you can handle), ski passes, hotels, breakfasts, dinners and minibus transfers. The only costs not covered were drinks and lunches.

It was exceptional value for money (less than £100 a day, all in), although it will be more expensive now given the state of the £ vs the $.

We went in July/August, which was their peak time, and found deserted slopes and loads of powder. All in all an amazing trip and a great cultural experience as well.

You have the advantage of having your airfare paid so you should be onto a winner!

ski passes
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Santiago to the 3 valleys areas (ie the linked areas of Vallee Nevado, La Parva and El Colorado) is only about 35 miles but takes up to 90 mins as it involves a drive up a mountain road of endless hairpin bends. Definitely do-able but a bit wearing. We stayed at Aparthotel Alto Castello in Santiago - excellent standard, reasonable prices and not a bad location.

We also stayed up the mountain at Hotel Farellones - basic but clean/comfortable and in a great spot for the skiing:
http://www.hotelfarellones.cl/home.html
You can buy a 3 valleys pass so doesn't matter which area you stay at - though (bizarrely) some areas only sell a 2 valleys pass and all 3 are somewhat reluctant to promote the fact that there are other areas connected to their own..... Puzzled

Alternatively, this firm (which we didn't use in the end) looks great - everything from transfers/transport to the skiing to very reasonable hotel/ski package prices:
http://www.skitotal.cl/html_ingles/home_ing.htm

We also did a day trip to Portillo from Santiago. Small area but incredible snow and fantastic scenery - and an even more amazing hairpin road than the road up from Santiago to the 3 Valleys. If you have the time Valparaiso on the coast is also worth a look. An hour and a bit away and a nice mix of old town/port/beach resort & a complete contrast to Santiago.

You will love Chile - it's amazing!!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for these tips, I'll look into the CASA option but suspect that, as you say, it might be a bit too expensive at the moment. I also like the 3 valleys idea, i had seen somewhere that they dont always sell the full pass so we'll have to look out for that.

Someone said that Chile was pretty cheap for skiing but i think that seems to be a myth - although that might have been trus in the past all of the prices are about 50% higher than at this time last year with the price of the GBP v USD!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Number 9 Dream

Even with today's exchange rates I don't think the costs will be prohibitive - particularly if you take out the cost of your flight. (Ours was about £800).

On that basis, CASA should still be a good bet. Whatever it costs will be money well spent. We found it be an incredible ski destination. If you like hiking I'd recommend you have a look at some of the volcano ascents that CASA offer. We climbed Villaricca (in Pucon) and had the most amazing descent at sunset from its smouldering summit. It definitely made every step of the the four and a half hour climb worth it!

Also, Mountain Addict forgot to mention above that he also used CASA. We went on his recommendation when we used them.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
@john crawford
thanks for that, you're probably right about the costs - i have contacted CASA and am waiting for their reply. The experienced skiers in the party woud probably be prepared to spend more for what will probably be a once-in-a-lifetime ski trip while those who have not skied beofore may feel that it would be cheaper to fly back to Europe!

Personally I'd be happy to pay whatever it takes especially as you (and Mountain Addict) make it sound so worthwhile - not to mention impending fatherhood which will no doubt curtail any ski trip not accompanied by mother-in-law for a few years...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
number9dream

The whole Chile experience was just amazing - though I deliberately didn't mention Casa as John C had already plugged them! For what it's worth, we did "the classic shortie" - which gets you to Santiago and the 3 Valleys resorts plus Termas de Chillan, which includes an optional (live) volcano ascent (just incredible!!). It also features a slap up meal at a fantastic vineyard (with wine tasting of course) as a stopover on the way to Chillan - plus cultural stops at markets etc. Also got to bathe in the volcano-heated springs at Chillan before having a vocanic mud wrap ( Puzzled er, Mrs MA's idea that bit....of course I'd rather have just drunk beer....)

The guide and driver (one Canadian, one Chilean) couldn't do enough for us and, like JC, I really can't recommend Casa highly enough. Don't forget the prices include all your ski passes, off piste guiding and hikes up volcanos, as well as most food. We priced other companies - including UK based but found that nobody came near on price (though that was in 2005).

We then stayed on after the Casa trip (which really pi$$ed off the other 3 people (all from the US) who were in our group as we'd all had such a brilliant time!!) for a few days in Santiago. We organised our own day trips back up to La Parva then on to Valparaiso and to Portillo. Ended up hiring the excellent Casa driver to take us to La Parva and to Portillo wink - skied all day with him in Portillo as well. Top bloke!

Very very happy days Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy