Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Off to Andorra (El Tarter) - any comments/suggestions or recommendations?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We are off to El Tarter for half term (from 15th Feb). We are 5th year skiiers/boarders and have never been to Andorra before. Staying at Hotel Nordic. Havent managed to view very detailed piste map of area yet. Have booked area lift pass and hope to use a ski guide for the first couple of days. Any suggestions for ski guides, where to go, where to lunch etc would be welcome. Thanks.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
PS, Grandvalira is a fantastic intermediate ski area (and I've been a few times with family and for courses). Most of the area is pretty good, unfortunately I can't be bothered to double check information on the piste map, so can't really tell you which the best runs are. I would say though that skiing across to Pas de la Casa for lunch, and then back, is quite good fun, and the runs on the Soldeu/El Tarter side of the Grau Roig valley are really nice (one really nice red just there is called, I think, Mirador).

Most the of the mountain restaurants are much of a muchness though, I think they are all run by the resort.

I can't really comment on El Tarter itself though, as it is a little up the road from Soldeu, which is the only place I've stayed. If you get the chance to head up to Soldeu for one of the evenings then head to Fat Albert's and Slim Jim's for excellent food and a good bar (though I can't remember which is which...) One is above the other.

Enjoy.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Agree with that.
El Tarter has a few more Spanish than some parts of Grandvalira. Soft drink prices on the mountain are about triple the local supermarkets - I didn't eat in mountain restaurants, just a couple of Mars bars for lunch. El Tarter snowboard area is the best in Grandvalira. Beyond the El Tarter area, you're better heading to the Soldeu area and beyond - not the other direction.
The whole ski area is under single ownership. Tuition is good if you go for that - dunno about guides. Check the website www.grandvalira.com
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
try this thread

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=1054218&highlight=nordic#1054218

nordic is a good hotel, chairlift is much quicker up the mountain

Contary to what bh, said, if you want a rest from lots of people and find quiet slopes the Canillo sector is quietest, if small, and has a very long blue, and a good but not very steep black, most people go off to soldeu and beyond

some lifts have singles lines which speeds things up.

watch getting back to soldeu el tarter sectors from grau roig as the chair lift back from grau always has big queues esp at the weekend

If the snow is good, sometimes there is cat track skiing in soldeu, which was brilliant, you get towed up by a piste basher.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We stayed at the Nordic for our honeymoon a couple of years ago. It was a really nice hotel and it's great being able to go for a swim after a day on the slopes (you have to buy a swimming cap from the pool reception area).

We're going back to Andorra (Soldeu this year) on 28 Feb - 3rd time in Andorra. When we stayed at the Nordic we skied back to the hotel for lunch and found it loads cheaper than mountain restaurants - also a lot quieter. Another thing we do when we go is to buy bottled water from the local supermarket (only a short walk from the Nordic - follow the road left, big supermarket on your left but does look a little odd from the outside as it sells all manners of weird and wonderful things ... including very strong spirits (and you can have tasters!)) and take it up the mountain with us each day - again loads cheaper than buying it on the mountain. If you need to buy any ski stuff when you are there, then just a little way down from the supermarket on the opposite side of the road is a really good ski shop (3/4 storeys high).

If you go to the Grandvalira website you can download a PDF piste map of the whole Grandvalira area. On the map the Nordic is right next to the El Tarter chairlift - you ski out of the hotel ski locker area and down a bit of a slope to the chairlift.

The booking area for the guides/lessons, etc is at the top of the El Tarter gondola - if you go up the chairlift, turn right and follow the wide slope down to the buildings, the booking offices are just after the gondola on the right.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the suggestions and advice. Just 5 more sleeps....soooo excited!!! Dining room looks like a ski/board shop and think that my 15 year old son has been doing something with my iron, some wax....and his board!! It is such a worry when you book a holiday almost a year in advance due to snow (the worry being lack of it), but have forced myself to check out various snow reports and web sites and it looks fantastic.....PLEASE let it stay that way. Once again, Thanks! Smile
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
PS, If you get the chance try and go to Arcalis, It is about 30 mins away from El Tarter by car and is one of the least visited areas in Andorra by brits. Not on the same scale as Granvillara but has one of the best snow records in the region and some good terrain. Could be just the place to escape from the half-term crowds!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy