Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Goggle inserts for prescription lenses?

Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone used these these as an alternative to contacts or wearing goggles over glasses?

They appear to be an insert that clips inside the frame of the goggles. See :-
http://www.spex4less.com/acatalog/bolle_scream_skiing_goggles.html
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
My girlfriend uses something similar and it works well with no steaming up. I think you can get clip-in lenses for a few different makes of goggles, including Adidas and Rudy Project.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
BMF_Skier, I've got some from Spex4less which I've had for a couple of years. I've been very pleased with them. They will supply them without the goggles if you contact them, only about £25 or so including prescription lenses. I think they only do them for for Bolle. I've got Screams for bright light conditions and a cheaper pair with yellow lenses for flatter light. I just swap the insert between them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes I have Bolle goggles with the matching insert, works reasonably well as I can't use contacts any more. I bought goggles & insert from S&R and got a local optician to glaze them, so can't tell you anything about spex4less. I don't know whether S&R still sell the inserts, I suspect not.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
yes, I've got those exact goggles with the insert and it works fine for me - occasional misting of the insert which clears as soon as you start moving, or spray some anti-fog on it in the morning before you head out, works a treat.
Just be careful not to let the insert fall out of your goggles when carrying them as it's a b*gger to find in the snow !! Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
What about these:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&item=150322783622

Has anyone tried them?
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Chamcham, they look very similar to a model from the Rudy Project range, but significantly cheaper. If you buy a pair I'd be interested in what you think of them.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamcham, They look tiny -are they designed to be worn as the goggle or are they the prescription over which you wear a larger goggle
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Megamum, those are the goggles - the optical clip goes inside the goggles, attaching to the inside of the frame near the bridge of the nose.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
rob@rar, Oh, I see - just very small goggles then. They are still not cheap by any stretch of the imagination, but not as expensive as some I've seen - like the ones BMF_Skier, linked to. I wonder if for that price that would stuff a toric correction into each lens - I can manage without, but the difference when I tried contacts with and without the astigmatism correction makes me think that I'd want them in prescription lenses too.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, I don't think that price would be for prescription lenses in the clips.

Those goggles are worn pretty close to your eyes, so there is no need for them to be as big as regular goggles, which need to be bigger as they are a little further from your eyes therefore need to be larger to give you a wide field of view.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
It said:

The RX-1 is a Ski Multi-Function goggle with an RX insert and interchangeable lens feature. The Aero-5 can be glazed by your local optician using standard CR-39 lenses to the powers of:
SPH
CRL

+2.00

+8.00
+2.00

Taking a standard CR-39 lens means you can have them glazed by any high street optician, we will glaze them for £39.00 plus the goggle cost.
_________________________________________________________________________________

Is glazing just adding a plain glass lense and is this different from adding a prescription lens? I've worn specs all my life but have always left them in hands of my usual optician therefore don't really understand the terminology
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
rob@rar, thank you for the reasoning behind the total size of the goggle too - it makes sense snowHead
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Megamum, The ones BMF_Skier, linked to are only £25 for the insert including prescription lenses. My prescription is not straightforward and they made that up no problem. You can then use them in a wide range of Bolle goggles, the range in cost of those is probably £20 - £100. You just need to check that they will fit whatever goggles you choose as Bolle do 2 insert sizes (although the one in that link fits the majority of models).
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Colin B, I see, I hadn't appreciated that the insert could be bought separately. So in theory I could probably sort out a set of goggles with inserts for around £40-£50 - that might be worth thinking about for when I use up all my disposable contacts. The optician doesn't like me wearing them for long periods so she limits me to a weeks skiing and then I'm not allowed them in all day.
snow report
Megamum, Yes although you'll probably have to ring them up as their online ordering system doesn't alllow you to order the inserts alone.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy