Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dropping car off VERY early at Geneva (Swiss side)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi

Our flight home leaves Geneva at 7am on a Sunday so we need to return the hire car before they open - probably around 5.30am.

I know there is a 60CHF charge for doing this, I just wondered if anyone has done it - what are the practicalities.

How can you ensure they don't try to get you for petrol or damage to the car?

Christine
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
skimom - I've been charged for an out of hours pickup of a car, but never for a return.

All you have to do is return the car to the appropriate space; leave the rental documents on the driver's seat and then drop the keys in the appropriate key drop box - do be sure that you turn the drop box "drum" through 360 degrees to make sure the keys have dropped.

I've never had any problems with false damage claims.

I've been "done" for fuel a couple of times. But equally I've "got away with it" a couple of times.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks FlyingStantoni

I'm thinking that probably filling up might also be a problem that early. Will have to just take our chances I guess of finding a 24hr petrol station.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ok - reassure me.

I tried to book the car last night via Holiday Autos - when I started I was looking at a quote that included Winter Pack. Then I went off to read the t's and c's, refreshed my screen and had to re-enter the booking - this time everything was different. It said 'snow tyres or chains' and the cost of an extra driver (not that I wanted one) had changed to 50CHF from 70CHF. I carried on thinking I was losing it, and then it asked if I wanted snow chains which was going to be extra again. So I gave up.

This morning I went online again and was once again offered a car with a winter pack - so I phoned Holiday Autos to check what that meant and was told the 2nd quote the night before would have been with Budget, this one would be with Alamo so it would be tyres and chains - brilliant - but the extra driver was back up to 70CHF, not a problem. The chap on the phone mentioned there was an out of hours charge of 60CHF which I said I knew about, but couldn't see on my screen whereas I was sure it had been there last night. I double checked all the info and I had the time of drop-off at 7am (must have scrolled by mistake). I said to the bloke I would go back and start again, but he said just to carry on because Alamo had a key drop-off facility and we could use that. I wasn't sure but he went away and checked and came back and said yes, definitely - but if I was worried to call them back after booking it to have a comment put on the booking that we would be using it.

So I followed his advice, called back, the woman said no problem I'll put a comment on the voucher. Well guess what? no comment.

So do I just leave it and hope for the best? or try and amend it? I can't afford to wait till 7am for the desk to open as the flight leaves at 7:05! I'm hoping worse case scenario is that I can 'book' an early drop off when we collect the car?? not sure what happens if I try to amend it as I have a feeling I will have to pay a cancellation charge and hope for the best that the price is still the same?

Wish I hadn't listened to the bloke now and had just started the whole quote again.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I also have not had a problem with early drop-offs.
On filling up, there is a 24-hour petrol station just off the road to the car park at the airport, but if you are economical use the last French service station on the motorway - the needle will hardly move.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
skimom - never fear.

Just leave the car. I must have done it 30 or 40 times without any problem. There's no need to let them know in advance and they (almost certainly) won't charge you.

IIRC, the 24 hour petrol just by the car park only takes credit cards.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Would agree 100% with last 2 statements, exactly my own experience.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks FlyingStantoni

It is reassuring to hear that someone has done it without letting them know.

For information of other people looking for Car Hire at Geneva... you should know that the Alamo booking voucher now specifically mentions the 9 Euro charge for the shuttle it says:

"clients will be met by an alamo rep and taken to the local office by shuttlebus. there is a surcharge of 9 chf for this service"

I have emailed them to clarify if it is a per person or per booking charge... TBH, if it is for me, DH, the 2 kids and all the bags then even if it saves us just a 10 minute walk its probably worth it, but if its per person I'll be getting the shuttle and DH can wait with the kids till I work out how to get back to pick him up LOL!

However, out of interest, if we get a trolley at the airport can it be pushed to the car hire if you walk, or do you have to carry your bags there?

Christine
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy