Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Twin Tips Not for Freestyle?

Poster: A snowHead
Well high there Embarassed

Bit of a silly question but I'm goingskiing in Italy in 3 weeks and it's just me and one other boy on the trip who have finished the ESF course (including race training). Thing is I was fast tracked through a few private lessons and a little bit of talent NehNeh Its because of this I have no idea about skis, all I know is that twin tips help for going backwards.

I personaly haven't done ANY freestyling Other than when we did a mandatory session doing 180s and fun boxes ages ago and I discovered it wasn't my forte, shall we say. (and now I get to the point).

Can Twin Tips go offpiste well or handle any terrain? As me and the other boy are thinking of hiring twin tips and spending the week with the ski guide and dealt the only reason we want them is to show we can outski our teachers NehNeh

P.S sorry if it was a bit of a ramble/life story.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Spuddfluff, All mountain twin tips cover all of the aforementioned bases. I wouldn't go for a dedicated park ski with a more forward binding mount. Remember... these skis were designed to ride switch, jump, do daft stunts etc in powder and off random cliffs, many of them are great off piste skis... and twin tips make it much easier to maneuver backwards and forwards in tight spaces without the tails digging in.

Last edited by Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person on Tue 27-01-09 0:42; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarpa, Thanks for the info Blush

Also been reading around, but no one gives a definitive answer (and you seem to know what your on about NehNeh )

Will twin tips with a regular binding placement feel to different or possibly even be harder when carving
?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Spuddfluff, I'm no expert, just picked up on a few things from the people who do know. Having the binding set forwards is specifically for the park, it reduces stability a bit and makes carving and powder skiing a little harder. But it's easier to spin in the air and ski and land switch.

If you want the skis to carve, blast though powder etc then stick with standard. They will still be fine for stunts and spinning but more stable at speed. Many people are using twins nowadays as they don't seem to ski any different to a flat tail (well not that I can notice)... a race skier might complain that the tails don't grip as well in high speed tight turns. Twins do ski slightly longer though as a little more of the length is sticking up into the air so add 5cm or so to your usual ski length.

I'll stick with twins as my all quiver ski to take on any conditions. I'm using 98mm underfoot with a tightish turn radius of 19m, a pure powder ski usually has a longer turn radius to stop it being so grabby. I've only been sking 12 weeks and still have loads to learn but am having great fun playing around with gullies and drops. Now if only I could link several turns switch without going a@se over t1t Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Yes, twins are not necessarily made just for the park, I tour on twins and are very handy for getting out of tight spots without the tails burying themselves....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
philw, I've found that a few times in forests where I've had to reverse from a dead end... right into a snowbank where I'd stick like a demented cocktail ornament Laughing Also went up a wall in the park, skied down backwards on semi lifted tail skis, and jammed the tails into the junction between snow and wood, flicking me like a fishing rod cast right onto my coccyx. I could hardly ski at all the next day I was in that much pain.

I suppose my use is 5% park, 40% off piste, 30% groomed and 25% moguls. Just can't see any disadvantage to twins for that type of usage.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm not an expert either, and there are plenty of propeller snowheads out there to correct me, but I thought a more forward(central) binding placement is preferred for carving (as well as park/switch stability), and that it actually makes it more difficult not to carve, ie to parrallel ski, on todays shorter radius skis.
(This can actually make it quite tiring if you're skiing with an intermediate group and have to ski slowly.)

I think rentals, and ski's aimed at all-mountain, tend to move the ball-of-foot position backwards, thereby making it easier to ski parrallel, on or off-piste. Less effort to slide the tails of the skis out in turn if your foot is further back, which kinda defeats the object of shorter radius skis.

but in answer to your question, twins will be fine every where, don't worry about it. Though if you've spent a day dulling the edges on rails, don't expect them to help you hold an edge on ice the next morning.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
scarr, Actually I think you are correct, but I wouldn't advise too far forward. I was coming more from the 'stability at speed' position. Most modern skis seem to have the standard position marked a lot more central then they used to, especially on things like twin tips. Mine even have two lines - one labelled 'RIDE' and one 'AIR'. There is not that much distance between them really.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I'm definitely not an expert but I find with twin tips you can smear turns better in soft snow and on steeps, also you don't have to be Tanner Hall to have fun on a ski with a bit of pop and a softer tail makes landing even small jumps easier.

When mounting bindings I think, if in doubt, mount them on the line.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I only ski twin tips these days and my favourites have to be K2 Public Enemeys (now called Extremes). Other very similar skis are the new Solomon Suspect and the Scott Punisher. These skis will tick all the boxes for on and off piste, powder, jumps and riding switch as well as ease of use.

Another great ski is the X Wing Tornado although it is not a twin it is very wide and more than capable on and off piste.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
troublemaker, Yup... great fun. I suspect that rental skis will be mounted either std or more rarely set up as as dedicated park ski.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Okies Very Happy

I've pretty much got it, "all mountain standard/middle binding twin tips ski".

And im suprised at all they can do Shock I mean how could something so flexible withstand the angles of a mislanded huck?

but yeah yays for the off piste capabilities and thanks again Very Happy

I'm probably gonna see if my local dry slope has something I can get used to on.

EDIT: my spelling mistakes are king.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Spuddfluff, And maybe try a few... the shops will swap models. I've loved some skis and hated others. Waste of time on dry slope though.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If you are renting why not try several skis most shops will be happy to change skis for you each day if you are renting top of the range equipment.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
TT's can let go of the turn unless you ski them longer..IME... which is a bit naughty when binning the piste. I don't think they are any sort of carving tool. They have their place but I wouldn't use one as an all-rounder. If you want to do any high-speed piste work, get soemthing that can handle both. TT's off-piste ? no probs, great... but for hacking down a red....hmmmm..!!!!!!!! Not for me.

Horses for courses...as ever
snow report
I'm surprised no one has mentioned rooster tails either!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
JT wrote:
TT's can let go of the turn unless you ski them longer..IME... which is a bit naughty when binning the piste. I don't think they are any sort of carving tool. They have their place but I wouldn't use one as an all-rounder. If you want to do any high-speed piste work, get soemthing that can handle both. TT's off-piste ? no probs, great... but for hacking down a red....hmmmm..!!!!!!!! Not for me.

Horses for courses...as ever

That's just user error wink
snow report
Many piste skis have a semi upturned tail. Not much difference from the snows point of view.
snow report
Well I just checked out the actual mountains "stats".

It's called "La Polsa" (even though I didn't think they had a "la" in Italian Evil or Very Mad )

The resort is small and aparently is 60% greens, 35% blues and only 5% reds and no blacks so what better a place to try a new type of ski?

Thanks for everyones contribution, and this is the longest thread i've ever created anywhere Crying or Very sad thankyousomuchitalmosthurtsthatimcryingwithsomuchjoy
ski holidays
Spuddfluff, Now go and have fun!!! Toofy Grin
latest report
Get yourself some K2 extremes, I did Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy