Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Testing K2 Skis

Poster: A snowHead
Morning ....

I've been looking into buying skis but want to test first. I've been paying attention to the K2 range becuase my Brother-in Law has a pair and raves about them, and just because it's a range to focus on. Before I go any further, here's some info about my skiing career:

Years: 5
On Piste: Love carving fast GS turns! Fine on reds & easy blacks. I'll ski bumps but don't really enjoy it.
Off Piste: The magic fluffy stuff ... I need some lessons

I'm after a pair of all mountain skis that go well on the piste but that I can take off the piste. I've contacted a hire shop in Bad Gastein I can test K2's but unfortunately not the Apache Recon that I had my eye on. Instead they have suggested I test the Apache Ranger but I think this maybe a bit too piste focused and orientated to the novice a bit too much. However K2 make the Raider too which is kind of between these 2.

So questions:

1. Has anyone skied on the 08/09 Raider? What's it like?
2. Given my level of skiing, am I better off buying the Recon or the Raider?
3. Should I avoid the Ranger (apart from maybe the first few days to get my eye back in Skullie )
4. Any other suggestions, K2 or another brand?

I'm not totally focused on the K2 range, it's just easier to make comparisions this way.

Any advice greatly received. snowHead

Cheers
Kersh
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Not been on the raiders, but i have been on the Recon and i own the Xplorer. IMO, if you're going to have the recon, you might as well have the Xplorer. it does everthing the recon does just as well but gives you that extra bit confidence in the "magic fluffy stuff" due to it's very slightly softer flex, few mm's extra underfoot and slightly different shape. They also carve those fast GS turns very well and are easy to slow it down a bit as well. Here's the review i wrote of it.

Pros: everything about this ski is positive for me. it blasts down groomers with very good grip, it blasts through crud with sure footedness, it handles well when it gets steep, it responds well to aggressive input but can be laid back as well, and turns all but the very tightest turns very well and predictably, it carves in powder, it does excel in medium turns anywhere you want it to, it's stable... The xplorer is just a sorted ski that does everything very well. I've never yet had a feeling that these skis were out of control! It's just a fast, smooth ski that links turns very well. It's not mega stiff, it's not too soft. Only condition i've not tried them on is moguls. i'd imagine they wouldn't be the best there, but they are soft enough to give the forgiveness to get down in one piece.

Cons: I'd want bigger skis in really deep powder, but that's a rare thing in scotland, and for the majority of any trips to the alps and the rockies. Not too keen on the graphics - i'd prefer something more creative.

Other Thoughts: The apache xplorer is my one ski quiver! It does most things i ask of it brilliantly and i have total confidence in them. some people say k2 ski too damp, i'd say that they ski smooth... my xplorers certainly do. They flatter my skiing Shock)

There's many other brands out there, but volkl (AC) and dynastar (legend) seem highly regarded here and elsewhere. If you can get to an Ellis Brigham at a indoor snow thingy, you can demo their skis for free.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
K2 Shuksan might be worth considering it's a true light weight all mountain ski that is highly thought of.

Love mine wink

Regards Mark
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Topsmoke, they not a telemark touring ski? if not, what bindings you got on them?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Kersh, Definitely recommend the Ellis Brigham try before you buy at Xscape. Bought my Apache Crossfire this way and love them for fast carving - maybe not ideal for off piste but that suits me Embarassed
K2 does seem to get a very good rep for edge grip. Also the Crossfires I bought (06/07) model received the best score in the Daily Mail Ski Mag that year. Think the newer model has a slightly wider waste to make it more appealling to going off piste, but I'm sure there are other models that are designed with that more in mind
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for the tips.

shoogly, is the Xplorer a bit more forgiving than the Recon? This is one of the reasons I was considering the Raider (same dimensions as the Recon, just more forgiving ski). Also, i've never skied on wide(ish) skis. I was going for the Recon just because it would be wide enough to head off piste but not too wide. I think i'm paranoid about wide skis thinking they're like riding a pair of flatbed trucks and i'll need a different technique. Mind you, the Xplorer is only 6mm wider than the Recon so am I worrying about nothing.

Talking about alternative options, I looked at a pair of Volkl AC30's but was told by the chap in the shop that they are quite an aggressive ski. How does it stack up against the Recon for example? About similar?

I think I will get myself to Castleford and test some K2's there then before I head out. It may also be worth buying them here before I go too.

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If you can actually get a ski up on edge and understand the differnce between 'angulation' and 'leaning over a bit' then wide shouldn't be a problem.

Rossi now make an 80mm wide 9x with a tip about a yard across, which I must say looks like a hoot, even to an inept lazy free-ski slacker like me.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Not sure if it's more forgiving, but it's certainly a wee bit more stable. It's also a bit softer in the tip so is a bit more relaxed and handles softer conditions better. It is just as smooth to ski as the recon though. I have no problem at all getting it up on edge at all and you couldn't describe my technique as brilliant.

The AC30s are a bit stiffer and not as damp (or smooth) as the K2s. I'd say that they require you to be more on top of your game more of the time.

Best thing to do is to get out and try some... you might find you like something totally different from anything we've talked about here.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
shoogly wrote:
Topsmoke, they not a telemark touring ski? if not, what bindings you got on them?

It's an Alpine Touring Ski,A one quiver all mountain ski.I have Freeride plus bindings on them.Fat enough for the powder,Excellent edge Grip,Lightweight.Good allround really.50% piste 50% off + Light enough to tour wink

Tested them at the Coe Saturday for the first time and very impressed.

Regards Mark
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Saturday at glencoe was brilliant... my body still hurts from it Very Happy
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Spoke to a very helpful chap at Ellis Brigham today and gave me some good advice. He recommended to Salomon XW Tornado. They get pretty good write ups, anyone own a pair?

Cheers
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hello ....
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MX88's... if you can find a pair.. wink
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
lots of reviews here Very Happy
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
shoogly, I never thought of a Google search. rolling eyes
ski holidays