Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach v Schladming

Poster: A snowHead
So I thought we were deciding to go to Saalbach next Jan for family trip and when I called the local (and excellent) Ski Travel Centre, the lady also suggested Schladming as the rate was c. £1500 cheaper for similar 4 star hotel. Therefore on a cost basis Schladming becomes very appealing however it's not really a resort that has caught my eye, ie not on my must ski list.

Question is - is it really worth paying around say £1k extra to go to Saalbach?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, No - Schladming is in another higher category with all its variety of terrain. Ask Waynos and Flangesax, they are the local "experts".

I find Saalbach striving too hard to imitate (badly) the French purpose built "ski in- ski out" concept. When I ski there I prefer to access the area via Leogang. I know there are many Saalbach fans here but I find it cannot make up its mind what type of place it is - Ibiza on ice, cool and compact to a big terrain? As a result I find it one of those rarities, an Austrian resort with little real character. Lots of "Lads"/"Lass'" weeks enjoying the Ibiza type party life though.

In contrast Schladming is a wee bit more "grown-up" in every sense to my mind. I just regret not getting over there as often as I would like, but work tends to get in the way of fun these days Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
boabski, Not been to Schladming, but have done a lads week at Saalbach and while we had a great week I probably won't be going back. Some of what Samerberg Sue, says is IMHO not entirely wide of the mark. For £1,500 less I would definitely be willing to give Schladming a try.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski, for that massive saving Schladming is a no-brainer!

Schaldming is a much more Austrian version of S/H.. there is good apres, a nice high-street and some great bards...

Don't get me wrong though... I take afternoon trips to S/H when some of my mates come out. We rock up in the afternoon (sometimes after a quick ski round here) and then get out for the rest of the day... go back to the village for some apres - party - type of affair and then go night 'skiing'....

I certainly wouldn't pay that much of an excess for s/h when Schaldming is on offer!
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks folks. You're swaying me from Saalbach. Deal is for Hotel Stadttor - mixed reviews on tripadvisor but in the main pretty decent and the lady from travel agency rates it pretty highly.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
boabski, We spent half-term in the Stadttor. Tucked behiend the village centre. Rooms clean and roomy, owners very helpfull and friendly. Food well cooked and lots of it, though a few combinations seemed strange but normal for Schladming rolling eyes . Good beer, very small bar, though other bars are very accessible. Ten min level walk to main gondola, get up there when you arrive and blog a locker for a euro saves you dragging your gear backwards and forwards.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
boabski, hotel sport royer in schladming, best family hotel i have stayed in in europe , if your can get a deal to stay here its well worth the effort
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
boabski, I'd echo what others have said. Great variety and lots of good tree skiing and if you fancy a change of scene there's the Dachstein glacier for a fun day (well maybe half day) out. Great on mountain huts and restaurants with character, good beer and food! Also thought it was the most reasonably priced of the resorts I've been to. Definitely planning on heading back again.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Should say I do fancy trying Saalbach myself as well but for the price difference Schladming sounds like the better bet.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
boabski, Where is this Ski Travel Centre of which you speak?
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Och-aye Boabski,
Great to read your review of your most recent trip to St. A and heres my tuppence worth on Schladming- was there in Jan at night-race week. Big area spread over 4 mountains- crowded but not near the same extent as St A -piste grooming a bit patchy and plenty of blue run speed merchants but again not as many as St A- bus between lift bases is not as frequent at peak times (hourly) as one might like- had a drink in the Stadtor and really liked it as well as the Kirchenwirt- prices much cheaper than St A- lads week with 1/2 board and only spent about 350e beers about 3e lunches with beer less than 10e- overall well worth a trip and you will save enough to pay for the lads trip to St A by going there but stash it away from Mrs B. - final decent of night slalom would rival final bit of Fang downhill any day.Spoke to a bloke whos been 8 years to Schladming and stayed in most places and he rates the Stadtor the best. Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
For a saving definitely Schladming, and even without the saving, I would say it's at least equally as good for a family holiday, and from a skiing point of view, there is much more variety in the Schladming area, plus the option of visiting the other Amade resorts if you want to. The main reason I would ever rate Saalbach over Schladming is that it has much more in the way of nightlife, but presumably for a family trip that is not your main concern.

I like Saalbach too, I've had two holidays there, and these days ski there a lot from Zell, but Schladming is one I keep going back to, and I'm not the kind of person to keep going back to the same place just because it's familiar, it just ticks a lot of boxes every time.

D
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Boaski. Schladming definately has the edge.
Saalbach over the past couple of years has 'over developed', and become something of a high priced resort without the class associated with lech etc.
Schladming in contrtact has a more varied & Interesting terrain, is less expensive, friendlier as a family resort. Infact the whole salzburg are is pretty good, with easy/quick transfers from the airport. Try also Obertauern (great consistant snow conditions, can be a little chilly), Zauchensee (small area, but great to learn to ski in), Flachau.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks folks - all very re-assuring. Think I'll go ahead with Schladming then. Think I was slightly put off as one of the lads that came to St Anton a couple of times went to Schaldming a few years back and said not a patch on St Anton - but that was for a lads trip.
robboj, based in Shawlands and the woman Anne really knows her onions. www.skitravelcentre.com I've only used them a few times as I've gone independent for years, but as I can book as a family of 4 instead of 5 it makes life easier (I hope Puzzled ) booking a package
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

I find Saalbach striving too hard to imitate (badly) the French purpose built "ski in- ski out" concept. When I ski there I prefer to access the area via Leogang. I know there are many Saalbach fans here but I find it cannot make up its mind what type of place it is - Ibiza on ice, cool and compact to a big terrain? As a result I find it one of those rarities, an Austrian resort with little real character. Lots of "Lads"/"Lass'" weeks enjoying the Ibiza type party life though

I have to say I've never really got that from Saalbach - much less so than Ischgl or Anton anyway. I love the atmosphere in Saalbach, it just feels so friendly and jolly, in quite an Austrian way. Rare for a resort of that size.
snow conditions
boabski, Schladming is really hard to beat, the skiing is fantastic, and you will not get bored there!!! Head over to the Hohenhaus Tenne if you want some night life, its gets pretty crazy there after about 10pm Very Happy
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy