Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les 2 Alpes - Link to La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

From what I read on snow-forecast, it would appear that La grave is inaccessible.

Two of the four lifts at La Grave (70/250cm) are closed due to damage caused by a falling rock. This closure is likely to last for a while until they get the lift line fixed. The good news is that the two lifts that are open, which are essentially used as one main uphill lift, provide access to plenty of great terrain. You can get on to the glacier with only a short hike. The downside is that it is not possible to link to Les Deux Alpes (80/190cm). Lots of new snow last weekend really helped improve La Grave's conditions as it was very rocky and hard in places before this.

Any locals able to give an update?

when might this be repaired? .....i am heading over 21st feb..... Very Happy
snow report
 brian
brian
moesymoe, you'll still be able to get to La Grave, it's only a short-ish hike from the top of the L2A lifts. The problem is you'll need a taxi (or a long hike) to get back and if you want to do a few descents at LG you'll have to buy a day pass as L2A passes aren't valid if the liaison is shut.

Ask easiski (L2A based instructor) on the L2A snow reports thread, she'll know the latest.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42914
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
brian, spot on. The trip back by road is surprisingly long, compared to how long it takes to hike across the top. Certainly not walkable!!
The good news is that if the liaison is shut, La Grave is even quieter. I believe the broken lift is the long t-bar up the glacier, which has a convoluted method of returning the wire to its start point, involving brackets attached to rock faces and stuff. Not that this has any bearing on the quality of terrain that you go to La Grave to experience.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's always better to stay in la Grave if it's where you want to ski. The link from Les Deux Alpes is closed not so infrequently. If you are staying in la Grave you can also drive to Serre-Che (Monetier) which is not too far for a bit of piste skiing. Le Chazelet and Villar d'Arène are fun for beginners if you have any with you.
For a good guide in la Grave I recommend Snowlegend.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
At the moment ...

- the link is closed
- repairs to the lifts at La Grave will not happen until the summer
- for as long as the link is closed, there are no reductions in lift pass prices for clients of either resort

Much discussion is occurring as to whether the link will open/how to do it - it's obviously in the interests of both resorts to open it. No news as yet.

At the moment your only sensible option is to drive round to La Grave and buy a lift ticket there - sorry. Sad
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
moesymoe, I thought it was very good for January when we went the other week (see LDA snow reports), but yes - you have to pay, and it's a lot easier to drive round and back - it's a very pretty drive. Very Happy Taxis cost about 40-50 euros for the 8 seaters so if you have 6+ people it's quite cheap, but you are stuck with the time you ordered it for, which can cut short your nice drink at the Castillon. Sad
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

can cut short your nice drink at the Castillon

BOO!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'd have a word with the mayor... if I were you. wink
You'll probably find him in the Castillon
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Well this is a bit of a disappointment. I have been to La Grave three years running now with the SCGB and am going back in March.

Luckily the guides the ski club uses are very proactive and on the previous trips we have also spent time in L2A, Serre Chevalier and Alpe d'Huez, which is quite normal if you are staying in La Grave, with the guides taking care of the transport arrangements.

Last year for the first time I did the trip down from the very top of La Grave to the tiny unspoilt village of St. Christoph, setting off in the area between the top of the La Grave lift system (what there is of it!) and the L2A lift sysytem. It is classic descent although you could get to it by driving round to L2A.

They must have one piste machine in La Grave because they do piste the few kilometres on the glacier alongside the broken lift, so I just wonder if they might use that to shuttle people up and down as a short term measure.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
richjp, you can't get enough people in a piste basher. Current discussions are revolving around the chenilettes which do the Croisiere Blanche tours at 2Alpes, so I'm told.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Lizzard wrote:
richjp, you can't get enough people in a piste basher. Current discussions are revolving around the chenilettes which do the Croisiere Blanche tours at 2Alpes, so I'm told.

Yes I realise that but I skied with Snoworks in South America in 2007 and in one place they rigged up a trailer which the piste machine dragged up the hill. Might be an 'elf and safety problem in Europe! It might work even if the guides had to pre-book places.

What are the chenilettes?
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
richjp, little caterpillar-tracked thingies which carry 13 people.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Lizzard wrote:
richjp, little caterpillar-tracked thingies which carry 13 people.

Thank you.

If discussions are under way as you suggest that sounds promising.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy