Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Schladming during nightrace week.

Poster: A snowHead
Evening all,

I'm starting to organise next years skiing trip for a group of us and after going to Italy in the past (and then Serbia last year due to money issues) we are looking into a trip to Austria next January.

After going through the brochuers etc, we like the look of Schladming, and we would need to go the last week of January.

Now..... whilst getting reviews etc, it appears that the week we are looking at going it coinsides with the annual Nightrace Slalom in the mens world cup.

Whilst i would love to see this and take in the atmosphere, i'm guessing that the resort would be mega busy that week???? WIth massive queues??? With certain runs closed for training???? etc etc etc

Has anyone else been skiing on weeks like these? Are my fears unfounded?

Cheers

Marc
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not been to Schladming so don't know what it is like there, but my experience of Wengen during race week is that it's only really race day that gets busy on the hill....and many of the spectators are on foot. The only piste that is closed is the race piste. The atmosphere is great though.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
no_snow_in_swindon, Schladming in race week is fab. We've never noticed the pistes being that much busier than normal, and as the nightrace is a slalom, it's only the bottom section of the black run back to town that's closed before the race. I'm not sure when/where the training runs are done, but I've never noticed any other areas closed apart from that one section. We skied that week a couple of times and skied back to town every day, just on a different route.

Schladming in my experience doesn't seem to have a massive problem with queues as uplift is good and there are four hills to go at (without even using the other Amade areas).
It does of course get extremely manic on the afternoon/evening of the race, but it's all good fun. Lots of stalls and bars in the square, live music, and then of course the race itself. So hundreds of people do descend for the race, but it doesn't seem to aversely affect skiing on the day up to and after race day. And as the race itself is in the evening, even race day itself is a pretty 'normal' skiing day.

It's fab, and will be extra fun in a group, just book it!

D
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Absolutely right Deliaskis. We were in reiteralm (part of the Schlademing area) at the time of the race this year. It didn't seem busy on the slopes. The only slope that's closed is the race slope, down into town - and you can ski down the side of it. The night before the race (bib presentation) the party kicks off in the town. By the time of the race, the place is really buzzing. But it's amazing how a small Austrian town can cope with 50,000 spectators with no problems.

Yes - go!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I was in schladming during this year's night race, as others have said the slopes are no more busy than normal, the actual night of the race is fantastic. I'd def recommend going that week. Tickets already on sale, must get mine. Start from 15€ to stand up the hill or for 25€ get a seat in the stadium (car park) and various vip tickets with meals, drinks etc.

see my report from Jan this year.
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=833604#833604
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks guys for your thoughts and link to the other thread.

Thats convinced us now...... We're off to Schladming next year!!!!!!! snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Do it. I don't know of a more fun and friendly town. Try to stay the Sport Hotel Royer. A five minute walk from the slopes. Schladminger Beer is OK but not as good as most German Beers. A side trip to Salzburg is well worth it. Try the ski area Zachenzee (sic?)
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
no_snow_in_swindon, been twice VIP hospitality both times ..... it is fantastic, great atmosphere on race night

waynos, 25 for a stadium seat..... not the one we were in then Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks for the info on race night tickets.

CEM, How much would we expect to pay for VIP hospitality then?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
no_snow_in_swindon, not sure how available they are, there are various different options the one we used was very much a corporate thing Atomic had bought 10+ tables of 10 and the rest of the tent seemed to be full of company types [a lot of which didn't even bother to go and watche the race rolling eyes rolling eyes ]

our tickets were €300ish so not cheap [but i wasn't paying Toofy Grin ] but that was 4 courses, as much as you could drink and more, grand stand at finish, winner sitting on our table signing autographs and drinking beer with us etc etc coach to and from obertaurn limited edition hat, pin badge, pens etc

so the honest answer is i don't knowwaynos may have some contacts out that way
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers CEM,

We've definatley decided that were booking up for next year now.

Just a shame that its still nine months away! Sad
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
no_snow_in_swindon, more info on the race is here: http://www.ski-weltcup-schladming.at/
The cheapest ticket in 2009 is 28 Euros, and the VIP ticket (they call it Golden Card) is 240 Euros.
All the VIP tickets are already sold for the 2009 race!!!
Tickets for the 3rd and 4th floor of the Apres ski Bar next to the race track are still available for 150 Euros.
The tickets of 28 Euros can be purchased from June 2008.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The red tickets were 15€ this year, price to be announced according to website for 2009. Simply purhased a few days before the race and saw loads of people buying tickets on the night. The blue tickets were 25€ but now 28€ so I guess the red tickets will go up a little.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
kerekip, Golden card thats the one Toofy Grin normally sold in blocks of 10 [ie a full table]
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Schladming is packed on race night but many come visit from the nearby towns. It is popular but does nto draw the crowds like the Hahnenkamm race weekend. The apres ski in Schladming is also one of the best and on race night it is superb. The Kitz race weekend is just a couple of days before so if you need your fill of FIS and apres ski then maybe combine the 2.
snow report
Cheers for all the hints and tips guys.

Just to let you know, from this morning, Me and the Mrs are now booked in for a week at The Hotel Kirchenwirt for nightrace week!!!!

Cant wait!!!
ski holidays
no_snow_in_swindon, good decision, you'll have a great time!
snow conditions
After months of watching webcams, looking at snow reports etc etc etc...... only 24 hours to go!!!!

snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow report
Schladming is brilliant - the village of Rohrmoos has a great bar called the Tauernalm - well worth a visit or 2.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy