Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes/Val v Trois Valleys v Verbier

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, booked flights for the 4th February to Geneva for a weeks skiing. We are after somewhere to stay and ive been left in charge of finding somewhere. Places ive always wanted to visit are listed in the litle, the thing is, i dont know which is best for what im after? Traditionally ive skied the PDS so i want a change. However things i loved about the PDS are the huge variety of runs, skiing totally different areas each day and never doing the same runs over and over again. So here is the dilemma, which resort/areas do i choose? Whats the advantages and disadvantages of the 3 areas ive listed? Still not sure on accomodation type but prerably a catered chalet. Any help and info appreciated.

Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ricklovesthepowder, Done Tignes/Val and Verbier but not 3V. I'm off to Verbier next week and can't wait. I don't think there's much between them in terms of ski mileage. Possibly Verbier has a greater variety of off-piste and itineries (sp) compared to Tignes/Val. Nightlife is better in Verbier than Tignes (just a personal opinion) and the main reason I would choose Verbier is that it is closer to GVA than the other resorts. Possibly Verbier is more expensive but I tend to make sure I factor these things in when I'm planning my ski hols, save a bit harder and hang the expense.

I don't think you could go wrong with either of your options and I want to go back to Val d'Isere (some pistes were closed when I was there due to some piddling competition called the world championships !-) ) and to ski in 3V but my choice would be Verbier for its proximity to Geneva. Have a great time wherever you go. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
having been to all 3 areas several times and worked in resorts in all 3 of them i can say that the only area from those 3 i would now pay to go to would be the EK and Tignes / VDI.

In my view you cant beat the size, height, vertical, snow, runs, variety that this area has. It may not be to everyone's taste - but if u want variety, size and awesome conditions then the EK is for you. Out of the 2 resorts - If you're after nightlife and resort 'charm' then head to Val, but if nightlife is not as important as easy ski in / ski out access then Tignes VC, Le Lac or Lavachet are for you (personally i would go for Le Lac in Tignes over the other areas).

Enjoy - all 3 area's rock - but the EK is tops.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ricklovesthepowder, Nice choice to have, I avoid France in Feb-will the holidays have kicked in by then? I've been to all 3 and will try to summerise my thoughts. Verb is one of my fav resorts anywhere but for me it's all about the off piste. For someone looking for a variety of runs it has those, it's big but also sprawling and has tedious links getting around to the different areas. The slopes immediately above Verb aren't too extensive and you'd have to travel to fufil you're not wanting to ski the same run twice.

The nightlife is cracking if you can afford it at the current exchange rate-these problems are long lasting and well known so I'm sure you know this. However there are some tempting offers out there with UK TO's-you may not be able to take advantage of these i.e. 2 for 1 lift pass. I was tempted by a catered chalet for £700 all in.

3V depends on where you stay apart form 3 main resorts there are several satilite villages La Tania, Les Menuires and St Martin de Belleville etc. There's plenty of off piste in the 3V's but I'd chose EK and Verb over 3V if that's your main reason for going.

EK resorts take everything else away and the skiing is great, plenty of challanges on piste, lift served off piste and some excellent areas to explore with a guide. If that's what you're after Cahmonix is the obvious one omitted from your list and closer to Geneva.

Guess is depends on your level really, for the best of both worlds EK may be the ticket.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Grizwald, The day i fly home will be the 11th feb, that's when the mayhem begins school holiday wise. I don't want to go to chamonix. I hear to many reports about buses to different sections of piste etc. I'm an intermediate skier who loves blue/ red runs. Never really done off piste as such except a few metres off the side of the marked piste and I'm rubbish at it and would like to improve. I didn't think about the CHF exchange rate so thanks for pointing that out to me. Puts Verbier out of the question I think. Really undecided on where to head for. Nightlife really isn't a big problem, a few beers in the chalet at night is enough for me, hate skiing with a hangover!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Ricklovesthepowder,
Quote:

Nightlife really isn't a big problem, a few beers in the chalet at night is enough for me, hate skiing with a hangover!

Go to Tignes then. Nightlife is not as extreme as Verbier or Val d'Isere and there is great access to the whole area.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm about to press the buttons on a catered chalet in Meribel. What's Meribel like??? Here is the chalet.

http://www.custardmountain.co.uk/index.html
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
It sounds to me that you should go to the 3Vallees. When you're an offpiste beast, go to Espace Killy or Verbier. Personally I love the 3 Vallees. Plenty of fun. Enjoy.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've only stayed in Meribel once. I've done about 10 weeks in the 3 Vallees, and heading back again towards the end of February.

I enjoyed Meribel, (we're talking 15 years ago.........maybe longer......thinking harder) but as with any chalet holiday, it's about the other people in the chalet and the chalet host. The resort IMO is secondary. Meribel is in a good position to explore the 3Vallees, being in the middle. Mottaret is better placed. Val Thorens IMO is the worst place to explore the whole area, because of the difficulty of getting back to it at the end of the day. IMO Courchevel has the best variety of skiing in the 3V. From what you've described above, I think you'll love the 3V and the general lack of lift queues (certain lifts excepted).
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
'Fraid I'm biased, but my order of preference is Verbier, Tignes/VDI then 3V, purely because of the variety of off-piste. Like Grizwald says, if off-piste is not your thing then Verbier should be discounted. For variety of blues and reds, you can't go wrong with either EK or 3V. You'll love both. If you want to try off-piste, sample a few trickier run, then EK. Nightlife varies depending where you go in each area.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ricklovesthepowder, Sounds like 3V will suit you fine and for most makes the most logical base being central to the 3V network. There's actually decent apres to be had by French standards it's very popular with Brits-a pro or a con depending on who you speak to be each to their own. Meribel essetially sits in valley with the local slopes on two sides, If the snow isn't great or it's warm the west facing slopes can get allot of sun so if this is the case and you're staying local that day ski the West in the monring.

Meribel is attractive compared to some of the purpose built 70's monsters but the food and drink prices are higher than in some of the other 3V areas. I'm sure you'll love the skiing for what you wantt it's hard to beat. I'd expect Les Arc and Le Plagne to be cheaper though and offer plenty of intermediate mileage so also worth considering.

Let us know how you get on!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy