Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Deciding between Meribel and Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
As the title says really .... have a couple of good deals on offer, one for Val D and one for Meribel.

I've stayed in Tignes and couple of times and know the Espace Killy area reasonably well - but have never visited the 3 Valleys so would be interested how the skiing compares.

One thing I didn't do when I've been to Tignes is to check out the actual town of Val D - so any comparisons on this side of things would be useful.

If it makes a difference we're travelling with a baby - so any thoughts on child-friendliness would be great too!

Thanx in advance for the help.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Val D'Isere - there's loads, loads, loads more to it. But the low altitude of Meribel might be kinder for a baby.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meribel town is built on the side of a valley. Much of the accommodation, bars and shops are between hairpin roads that climb up the mountain. By contrast, Val d'Isere town is mostly flat and so is probably easier to move around with a pram or pushchair.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Meribel too many stones and British
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Val was a really nice place, based along the floor of a valley so easy to get around on foot.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I like Meribel, but I love val. if the bargains are comparable, it's val every dy of the week.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Val Despair is slightly better than Merihell.

Go to Val.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
took a toddler to Val, it was realy easy to meet for lunch up the mountain, and at the bottom of Val. It is flat in Val which makes buggy pushing easier. Lifties were very good with little ones. Good bus system in Val too to make journeys easier. I remember Meribel as being quite on a slope...
but we did not have a little one with us then.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
abj wrote:
If it makes a difference we're travelling with a baby - so any thoughts on child-friendliness would be great too!

Thanx in advance for the help.

I don't have kids so can't comment, but personally I would have thought 'ease of popping back to chalet/apartment' as being quite high on the list, in which case I'm not convinced Meribel is the greatest option. Surely somewhere like La Tania where you can ski to pretty much right outside the apartment down a relatively easy blue, or nearby (with some chalets) might be a better option. OK so probably less good for 'off slope activities'..

If you're doing you're own childcare between you/partner then ease of getting in/out surely is a key requirement. Parts of meribel (lower villages) can be a 10-15 minute bus ride to 'la chaudanne' and then it's still a couple of minute yomp before you get to a lift. Even if staying relatively centrally the pfaff factor can be quite high.

Merible Mottaret (a bit further up the hill) has some good options (appts) that are ski in/out however.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Another vote for VDI, but if you do want to go the the 3V, another vote for La Tania, which is more family friendly, IMO.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
We had a 16 month old toddler last Jan in Meribel. It was all fine, he had a lovely time playing in the snow at the main Chaudannes bit, and there's a really good visit-your-chalet nanny company there that I can recommend.

Yeah, it's a bit of a schlep sometimes. We were staying up by the Morel lift, which is a fair trek from Chaudannes. But you just get on with these things don't you. The free buses are good, and really it's not that bad a walk.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Val every time, been to both many times and Espace Killy by far is my favourite, more varied ski area and better lift system. I would have thought Val would also be a better choice for a child/ mum combo re other things to do than wintersports.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the replies. The general consensus seems to be for Val (which is the way I was leaning too).

I'm also a fan of the skiing round the Val / Tignes area, so I reckon a decision has been reached!

Thanks again. Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
abj, if you like EK, and only stayed in Tignes before, ValD will knock your socks off. Soooo much better than Tignes in almost every respect.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The swimming pool in Val alone is good enough to swing the decision in its favour if you are traveling with a baby.
ski holidays
Having said that Val D'I is a better town than Meribel, I'd also agree with bertie bassett, that if you are thinking of ease of getting between your accommodation and the slopes, maybe for doing baby minding swaps, there are much better places than either.

I'm not a fan of either place, really - prefer smaller, quieter, more family-friendly places and a more French environment. My son has done seasons in Val D'Isere and Meribel/Courchevel and as far as he's concerned Val D'Isere knocks spots off the 3 Valleys though there's no question that the skiing is terrific in both. But the aspects which appeal to a young man on his own are not necessarily very relevant to a couple with a baby, who are hardly going to be out exploring the night spots. With a baby I'd want somewhere where I could park very near the accommodation, very near lifts, very near shops and very near somewhere to take them toboganning (if they're old enough to enjoy that - our 9 month old grand-daughter loved it to bits but she could only cope with short spells and very gentle slopes). Even better if all those things are so close together you can walk in a few minutes!

How old is your baby and what sort of things do you like to do? Need child care?
latest report
Quote:

if you like EK, and only stayed in Tignes before, ValD will knock your socks off. Soooo much better than Tignes in almost every respect.
Except (if you are staying in Val D central) in regard to the not insignificant points of:

- Access to the snow. From virtually everwhere in Tignes the skiing is on your doorstep.
- Egress from the snow. Select from the narrow Santons gully - which at 'home time' generally resembles an out take from Zulu, OR the Face downhill, which in about 10 visits to Espace Killy, we have yet to ski in decent snow. Ditto the crowds comment as well.
snow conditions
mountainaddict, Eh? Have you ever been to ValD or just read the Tignes-orientated hype? You're seriously suggesting that access to the slopes is difficult from ValD? One lift one way you're at the top of the Bellevarde bowl, one lift the other you're at top of Solaise.

Yes, there are many routes up to the mountains from (the many different centres of) Tignes, but that's exactly what you'd expect from a purpose build resort. Much the same as you'd expect a tower block built on the hanger lane gyratory system to have easy access to roads. With about the same level of charm.

End of the day can be a challenge but you just grab a beer and wait for the crowds to clear then ski down in peace or get the lift down. Or just cruise round to La Daile, via Folle, and bus into Val. Any way round it's no biggie, and you have a charming and lively town waiting for you, instead of a council estate.
latest report
mountainaddict, Dr John, I like both but prefer to stay in Val, its got a great bus service accessible from just about all over the town and access to the slopes at La Daille, Le Fornet and Rond Point via bus is no problem. Ski down accesses back into town are brilliant, just liable to get a bit giddy at peak times but you stay away and drop in another way wink . A couple of beers at Apres time does me great, just a shame that Bananas is no more. Personally I think theres a lot of young Dick-heADS in Val (Folle Douce etc) but c'est la vie, they hoon about all over the Alps so whats the problem, just young I guess, no problem with that!

Tignes great also for skiing but somehow lacks the ambience and apres vibe (apart from Le Brev which is awesome), meals are a bit limiting in the evening too in Val Claret and Le Lac. Also more likely to get charged for a pee in Tignes which annoys me greatly.

I also get your commentpam w, re smaller resorts but IMO they lack something (even Ste Foy where skiing is brilliant the resort is very bland IMO). Been to Risoul/ Vars and Le Rosiere, same but Le Mont Dore is back on my radar after recent hype re off-piste routes.

For all the above reasons Val D'Isere, Chamonix in France and Arlberg, and 4 Vallees/ Verbier (via Nendaz) are my chosen resorts.

Toofy Grin
snow report
well I think mountainaddict has a point. Last time I skied in Val D'Isere (and I don't know it well at all, so might just have been unlucky) I found it quite a schlep from the underground car park, where I got changed, up to the lift and up to the snow. Not everywhere in Val D'Isere is close to a convenient lift - it's quite a big place. Depends what you want, and what you are used to, I suppose. and how comfortable your skis boots are for walking. But certainly Val D'Isere has far more to offer as a town, than places like Tignes/Meribel. As I said at the outset.

Places known to be "family friendly" (such as La Tania) offer a completely different list of pros and cons. Just right for some, would bore others out of their skulls. It's hard to give opinions on what resorts would suit people best without knowing more about what they like, and - for a holiday with with a baby - how they want to organise child care. For the sort of thing we've tended to do - swapping and taking turns and meeting up for little plays in the snow etc, Val D,Isere isn't ideal. It's also worth thinking about altitude - I think it's about 1850? Maybe high enough to give some babies problems, esp if they're very little.
snow report
pam w, Fair points, its good that we all like different things eh?!
snow report
pam w wrote:
Not everywhere in Val D'Isere is close to a convenient lift - it's quite a big place

Indeed. Nor it it from Tignes. I've stayed "down the road" in Val Claret where it was a 20 hike to the lifts or get an inevitably rammed and infrequent bus. Getting back was the same and going out in the evening was a pain. It became quite depressing toward the end of the week.

I find it amazing that the main complaint about Tignes for years now is that it's apres and evening scene is rubbish, and they still haven't addressed the issue.
ski holidays
Quote:

I think it's about 1850? Maybe high enough to give some babies problems

The higher you go the greater your likelihood of sleepless nights, and I have done all 3v resorts apart from M'bel with kids, and Val d'I too. Speed of getting back to the little darling is improtant, and I think the 3vs wins out on that perspective as well as being lower altitude. I have avoided M'bel due to the icy (ya darling, really) south facing slopes home , but I doubt that is an issue at the moment. I would say M'bel and Val d'I are equally overloaded with English just back from their Gap Yah
latest report
Thanks for the feedback.

Flet©h, we'll certainly check-out the pool - our nipper loves a good splash about!

pam w, we'd be doing a package deal - so car parking etc. isn't an issue. Both places we're looking at have in-house childcare (which is a big plus/selling-point) so again we're covered on this respect.

Baby will be 4-months come the holiday (late booking for end of Jan) - so, alas, too young to appreciate the joys of toboganning and other snow-based fun!

With regards to altitude - this had crossed my mind. However, I mentioned it to our family doc and she was of the opinion that at altitudes of below 2500m it shouldn't be a concern - which has given us a bit of reassurance.
snow conditions
abj, The pool is very nice, new and very well equipped for babies. Lots of family changing rooms with baby tables, nice shallow fun pool that is kept warmer than the separate exercise pool, places to sit if your arms get tired holding the baby the whole time. You get a free visit with your lift pass, its just behind the Olympic gondola, you can't miss it.

So good you almost won't begrudge missing an afternoon of skiing.

Almost!
ski holidays
abj wrote:
Baby will be 4-months come the holiday (late booking for end of Jan) - so, alas, too young to appreciate the joys of toboganning and other snow-based fun!

Can't you leave baby with some rellies and then booger off an have a really good holiday..after all it just needs feeding and nappy changing it doesn't do much at that age..
latest report
The year before we went to Meribel, we went to Vaujany with him, at 5 months old. He seemed to like just being dragged around in a sledge, carried about, going to cafes, and loved riding the cable car up and down every day. Lots of sensory input to be had, even for a little 'un. Also the social aspect of just bumming around in the apartment with the group, he seemed to enjoy. Lots of attention.
snow report
4 months is a great age to travel with a baby, I reckon. They do enjoy it.
Quote:

it just needs feeding and nappy changing it doesn't do much at that age..

bertie bassett, you did say you didn't have kids, didn't you? Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Old enough to respond with smiles, not old enough to run about, and not yet figured out how to have a proper tantrum. Perfect.

Does anyone happen to know if women ever reach this behavioural sweet spot as well?
snow conditions
paulio, Not sure about sweet spot, but the high point was the week before you proposed!
snow report
abj, I wonder how much 1st hand experience your family doc has of babies at altitude...
Your risk, but I saw lots of 5ams in Val
rolling eyes
latest report
Do you have evidence that it was the altitude that caused it?
snow conditions
Mountain Haddock wrote:
abj, I wonder how much 1st hand experience your family doc has of babies at altitude...
Your risk, but I saw lots of 5ams in Val
rolling eyes

5am, eh? With our little one, I'd call that a sleep-in!
As for our doc - well she skis and has a baby, so on balance I'm happy to take her advice.

To be honest, this is our first holiday with a baby and it's all a bit of an experiment. I take your point about the altitude - however, as with all things, we're trying to strike a balance:
We've found a couple of places with childcare which seems convenient and high-quality, but they happen to be in higher resorts - I daresay we could find a lower resort, but maybe the childcare wouldn't be as good - so it's swings and round-abouts.

There are lots of things I'm concerned about in relation to the little one: the long travel days/early starts, the flight, the cold, the different surroundings, different routine, etc., etc - any of which could cause problems. BUT, if we looked at worst case scenarios we probably wouldn't let him out of the house!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy