Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

OLD Chestnut - GVA Airport Security

Poster: A snowHead
I'm flying back to UK a couple of times this month on Thursday evenings.
Does anyone have any recent experience of how long it takes to clear security with just cabin bags?

Thanks in Advance
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
I'm flying back to UK a couple of times this month on Thursday evenings.
Does anyone have any recent experience of how long it takes to clear security with just cabin bags?

Thanks in Advance

No queues this morning at 8:30. Baggage check 5 mins and passport control 2 mins (non EU queue was a bit longer). Was surprisingly quiet on the train though - maybe will get busier in next few days?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@OuatteDePhoque, I don't think I'd be worrying about it Puzzled
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@BobinCH, Thanks.
From my office the train is 26 minutes, so for a flight at 18h45, train at 17h11 should be ok if I can whizz thru like you.
I have CdS so can go thru the EU or non EU passport line, depending on which is shorter.
Is that cutting it fine, or is 1 hour ample?
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
@BobinCH, Thanks.
From my office the train is 26 minutes, so for a flight at 18h45, train at 17h11 should be ok if I can whizz thru like you.
I have CdS so can go thru the EU or non EU passport line, depending on which is shorter.
Is that cutting it fine, or is 1 hour ample?

I’d say you should be ok but you’ve got little margin for error if for whatever reason the security check has a big queue (although you can always ask for mercy from the attendant and go to the front).
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Personally, I'd leave more margin. If you are e.g. flying EJ, so leaving from the new pier, you just need one heavily booked jumbo to clog things up ...
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
22nd Dec took about 2 hours to get thru security, probably worth paying the 10 CHF for Priority Lane if your timescales are tight?
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@under a new name, EJ PMSL Smile
Never Ever Again.
EJ way too unreliable, and no help when it goes wrong.
At least with BA theres a flight every 60-90 mins if there's an issue.
Also BA is cheaper when you factor costs like changing your flight, taking a bag or travelling into London.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@kitenski, Can you just rock up and pay that? Or do I need to go online and pre-book the priortiy lane ?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We came through three days ago.
5 minute queue at the most for security.
Zero for passports.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@OuatteDePhoque, you need to prebook the day before. Or book BA club/have a gold card.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went through last week. No queue at all on a on a Monday evening for security. Went through a lane with one of the new CT bag scanners so no need to take anything out of the bag. Passports took a couple of minutes.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@OuatteDePhoque, prebook online at least 24 hours before travel.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@pbelf, @rungsp,

sounds great - thank you for the feedback
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@snowdave, @kitenski, Thanks will look at the GVA.ch site
snow report
OuatteDePhoque wrote:
@under a new name, EJ PMSL Smile
Never Ever Again.
EJ way too unreliable, and no help when it goes wrong.
At least with BA theres a flight every 60-90 mins if there's an issue.
Also BA is cheaper when you factor costs like changing your flight, taking a bag or travelling into London.

Bit of an odd post. Not least at it assumes BA is an option for everyone and from everywhere. Which is clearly is not.

I travel a huge amount on business. I have had many more problems on BA than any other airline. EasyJet on the whole works well, and my children have always preferred it to BA. Yes things g wrong, but I have long learnt to expect little help from there airline when they do. Example being BA closing all desks, and leaving me stranded without hotel at Heathrow at 1AM in the morning despite me having a £6k business class ticket.
latest report
@zikomo, agreed, my last proper corporate gig I would typically be on 3-4 flights a week around Europe, out of GVA and 80% of the time on EJ. Only major issue was getting stuck in Edinburgh for the beast from the east. Not really EJ’s fault.

And it’s not Dec 22 everyday! And, and, if they’re running the CT scanner, it’s often quicker than the priority lane.
ski holidays
@zikomo, your experience very different from mine.
Only one issue with BA when a flight was cancelled and they put me on the next one 90 mins later.
Easy Jet - cancelled Mrs Flight to GVA, left her stranded at BRS. ( No hotel ) Put her on next days LGW (she had to travel BRS to LGW at her own expense) flight to Lyon that arrived at midnight in Lyon, when her car was at GVA (3 hours away) - no provision was made for her to get to GVA.
EJ Cancelled another BRS flight, option fly back from LGW or rebook for 2 days later.
One of the kids EJ flight delayed 4 hours so he missed transfer and again I had to go and fetch one of my family from the airport in the middle of the night because of EJ.
I commuted from PdS go London for 6 months every Monday going back to City and every Friday night coming back here. I normally went with Swiss or BA as they shared the route, and never had an issue. The 2 times I could not get booked on BA / Swiss I booked EJ - LGW. The first time it was re-routed to Luton, and I got to work 3.5 hours late, the second time it was just late, and again I arrived at work late.
I have only ever had bad experiences - and never any sense of contrition from the ground crew.
I understand that they do not serve provincial airports, but like I said even when we go to Bristol or Birmingham we would rather go to LHR and make our own onward travel arrangements, than rely on EJ to get us there in a timely fashion.
BTW I never flew BA Business, so no experience but Virgin "Premium Economy" and Upper Class were always excellent.
If you prefer EJ, then that's great for you, but based on my experiences, will not use them again.
snow report
@OuatteDePhoque, I see, looks like you have had some bad luck. Only real issue I have had with EJ was coming back from Geneva to Edinburgh with my daughter, they cancelled the late evening flight just as we got through security. It was a bit of a hassle collecting our checked bags and obviously the ticket desk was mobbed. I booked a hotel for us, jumped in a taxi, rebooked flights via Brussels as EJ app only gave options for flights 2 days later. Made a claim to EJ for all the expenses and after a bit not back and forth all refunded. It is not just what happens to you but also how you react.
latest report
Sounds like your family just has bad luck with flights Laughing

Personally I've found EJ and BA to be as bad as one another, just that one is still pretending it's not a budget airline and has a significantly more painful online check in.
snow report
@zikomo, @JailBaitMcFlude, I agree, very probably just unlucky, things go wrong all the time, and thats not restricted to one carrier. The thing which disappoints me is the way we have been dealt with when things go wrong.
In my experience, BA were uber-helpful & courteous (and had lots of alternative flights)
My wife said that that EJ were unhelpful and didn't want to know, just telling her to "sort it out on the website."
Consumers can make a difference by not using providers from whom they have received shoddy service - hence my EJ boycott.

Our friends fly EJ all the time and from Stanstead and are happy with the service, and my nephew just arrived on EJ and it was fine for him too - but I'm still not gonna use them again.
snow report
@OuatteDePhoque, fair enough!
ski holidays
If either your departure or destination point we're eu, easyJet would be required to sort you out with a replacement flight and accommodation.

Maybe this should be in the Brexit thread?

Even so, for cancelled easyJet flights they have reasonable customer service via their website, but next to nothing on the spot.
snow conditions
@snoozeboy, You'd think right. But Mrs had no accommodation provided and had to go back to her folks 45 mins from Bristol. The only replacement flights offered were Gatwick to Lyon the following day or Bristol to Paris. Both of which would lead to arriving back in GVA 36 hours later than scheduled - which us a bit crap for a weekend mini break when you have to be at work on the Monday.
Neither especially helpful when your ticket is to Geneva and that is where your car is, and they didn't offer transport from Paris or Lyon. Customer service team on the ground were dreadful. Basically just told all the stranded passengers to go away and sort it out themselves.
By contrast, when my BA flight was cancelled, the ground staff brought me coffee and danish while they sorted out a seat on the flight 90 minutes later. They asked me if wanted more coffee etc ... this again is a sharp contrast for delays on EJ where my son git a 5 quid voucher which was just enough for a sandwich and a coke which he had to go and buy from WHSmith.
It comes down to how you treat your passengers, one seemed to be with care and the other with contempt.
snow report
Maybe I’ve always been lucky, but I’ve never queued for security at GVA (including four weeks ago).

EasyJet, however, the queues can stretch for miles and I had vowed never to fly with them again out of GVA - unless I’m going to have 3 hours spare at the airport.
ski holidays
Came home yesterday. Security was fine, pretty much straight through. Biggest problem is people not preparing in advance and taking everything out when they get to the scanner. Passport queue was ok, we just had a really slow boarder force agent who took an age to check every passport.
EJ bag drop. We got there at the right time, queue was huge when we left. Simply not enough staff on but those that were there were super efficient.
latest report
@OuatteDePhoque, Airlines are required to pay to reroute you within reasonable time to your original destination. Exactly as you have said you should sort this out yourself and claim back from the airline if they do not offer you something suitable. You could easily have done this on both occasions, and that is what you should expect when flying EJ.

RE check-in at GVA - I would never do EJ without speedy boarding from there. It gives you access to the EasyJet Plus checkin which has never taken me more than 10 mins or so. I know it can be expensive but it really is the only way to go in high season. To save a bit consider getting it once for the return leg from GVA. Priority security is also not that expensive and worth it for peace of mind. If you have both you will likely have a very smooth passage even in the business of times.
snow conditions
zikomo wrote:
, Airlines are required to pay to reroute you within reasonable time to your original destination. Exactly as you have said you should sort this out yourself and claim back from the airline if they do not offer you something suitable. You could easily have done this on both occasions, and that is what you should expect when flying EJ.

Claiming back money for trains & hotels doesn't really solve the issue of you not being where you need to be when you need to be there.
And in Mrs case 36 hours later in a different city at half past midnight, facing a 3 hour journey on public transport the following day (effectively arriving 2 days later).
You may consider that to be a fair solution, but it's totally not in my book.
If it's all about the money, then sure get a cheap flight sort out your own issues and claim it back if theres a problem.
And like you say its what you expect when you fly EJ.

I'd rather just avoid all that ballache in the first place by booking with an airline who can normally put me on another plane shortly before or after and will sort these things out for me in case of issues.

I saw that the priority security is 10 Chuffs so will get that. Thanks again for heads up.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy