Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Les Deux Alpes Must do's ...

Poster: A snowHead
Saw that another similar thread had got some good responses so thought I would do the same snowHead

Going next week with two of my Zits (15 and 10) ...

What are the must do runs...

What are the mustn't do runs...
(older will ski anything (and with better speed, grace and poise than me Evil or Very Mad ), youngest will happily get down almost all reds and the easier blacks, but is not so keen on the very steep, or the slightly icy/hard). They both particularly love the bumps and jumps. Any easy reached off-piste (conditions permitting)?

What apres activities are there that would be suitable for us - looking at the action-based, or entertainment bsed rather than the drinking here?

What restaurants are good for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike (both Zits are veggies).
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ray Zorro, I'd say DON'T overlook the Pied Moutet side of the ski area (think that's the right name...). A lot of traffic seems to get sucked up towards the glacier because it looks so big and high (which it is) but the other side has some lovely skiing and seems a bit quieter

DO avoid that sucky green run back to town on the glacier side of the mountain. It's rubbish during the day; can't imagine what it's like at the end of the day

edit - Pied Moutet is good for easily accessed and not too committing off-piste too
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Must do runs: the red and the black at La Fee, the Grand Couloir if you like challenging.

Off-piste: Chalence - with a guide or an instructor. The hidden valley - for the first time I would again suggest an instructor or guide. La Grave - if you like challenging and steep - yet again, have an instructor or guide.

Les Deux Alpes is, effectively, Un Alpe et Demi. I agree with Ano, Demi can be delightful when conditions are good.

Restaurants:
Tribeca. Mostly Brit clientel when we went their. Excellent food.
The Blue Salmon. French owned - French food - and mostly French customers when I have been there. Maybe the best restaurant in town - don't know if they do vegetarian - but they may..
the Fondue - next to the Blue Salmon. had a large Charlie-Chaplin-like figure holding wooden skis outside. Despite the name sold a variety of good food.
La Meje. Generous Tartiflette.

Mountain Restaurants:
La Fee. small, but somehow has character. Helpful staff, and by mountain-restaurant standards, good value.
The Diable (at the top of the red eggs).

Apres ski:
Smokey Joes sometimes has live (and very good music) around 5pm.

Have a really great time. Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Activities: ice karting, bowling, swimming, skating all go down well with our school groups.

Veggie-friendly food: Smithy's or Smokeys for veggie Tex-Mex, L'Etable for pizza, most places for fondue, Crepes a GoGo for (surprise!) crepes, salads and big ice creams.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Rama.... Laughing
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
What are the best bars for the booze and atmosphere? rolling eyes Little Angel
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I seem to remember some talk about the difficulty of certain slopes near the resort at the end of the day. Which would that/they be and would that still be a problem with the amount of snow that is forecast for next week?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Ray Zorro, I think that is Valentin, and Easiski should be able to tell you better, and show you an alternate route home. We're thinking of haveing a day or two there ourselves in mid-late March as we're over in SC.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Ray Zorro, I'd love to help but had problems with your request for 'No Bars' and 'Veggie' , that aligned with the fact that I tend to follow my nose on piste makes me pretty useless- I can direct you to a nasty little red though Twisted Evil but no idea what it was called as I had got 'lost' Embarassed

I suspect The Valentin is the slope you mean .. and it was open even when I was there - pre-snowfalls as it were, but rather unappealing with so many folks on it, will stay open for ages now I would have thought. Easiski knows a 'little-known' way down to avoid the gondola queues ... not even a consideration though as you have so many choices..
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ray Zorro, Easiski is vegetarian, so should be able to help you there too, although Crazy Skier Jules seemed to live on chips.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Valentin is skiable, but carnage at the end of the day as everyone tries to get down it regardless of ability rather than doing the sensible thing and riding down in the eggs. The rest of the runs into resort are iffy, and likely to stay that way for the rest of the season in my opinion - not enough base. However, I don't see that it's such an issue as there's plenty of good skiing higher up and it's hardly a huge hardship to ride back down in the lift. Can't see why people whinge about the one bit they can't use when they could just go and ski all the rest of resort instead.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Helen Beaumont, chips, Marguerita pizza or pasta are the few things they seem to eat while away. It is fine for a few days, but it does get limiting. I shall have a look at some of the restaurant ideas offered above.

Thanks to all for the comments so far btw. Much appreciated snowHead
latest report
 brian
brian
Ray Zorro, there's a good pizza place at the Venosc end of L2A called L'Étable.

btw achilles, Deux Alpes is not 2 mountains, but 2 summer pastures, those of the villages of Mont de Lans at one end and Venosc at the other. So the resort is (unusually) split between 2 communes, one of which (Venosc) has no road access to the resort !
snow conditions
 brian
brian
JT,

Shocked Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Ray Zorro, There is a book titled Hitler was a vegetarian, wink Amazon link

Maybe you should buy them a copy
Very Happy

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Wed 14-02-07 12:53; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Lizzard, it isn't a hardship to come down in the gondola, but wisdom doesn't seem to enter into the minds of adventurous 15 year olds when they assess the options. There is no way that I could persuade her that taking the gondola is preferable to a black without her getting into a serious strop and words like "carnage" and "suicidal" will make her more keen than ever to do it Confused

My best option would be stealth and to avoid that area altogether if the slope looks in any way doubtful.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, Ha, in my day you did what your Dad said or else! I did try sulking from time to time, but it didn't have much effect, I have to say.
snow report
brian wrote:
........... achilles, Deux Alpes is not 2 mountains, but 2 summer pastures, those of the villages of Mont de Lans at one end and Venosc at the other. So the resort is (unusually) split between 2 communes, one of which (Venosc) has no road access to the resort !

I knew the name related to the 2 villages. But I remember seeing the Une Alpe et de Demi joke a while back - and when you see the resort, it does seem rather apt.

BTW, Venosc is very well worth visiting (using its gondola) in an afternoon if the weather gets murky, and you've had enough of skiing for the day.
latest report
 brian
brian
achilles, just after I posted that, I thought I bet he knows that already .... Embarassed
snow conditions
Ray Zorro, for a bit of a snackette, I seem to recall that the takeaway place opposite the Lutins did stonking pizzas - only about 3 varieties but superb nonetheless. I blame NickC Wink
latest report
eng_ch, ooh, yes they were lovely.
ski holidays
Nice crepes along the main drag as well.
latest report
I did a comprehensive survey of cheese fondues in L2A back in July. The best I found was a "Fondue Royale" in a restuarant next to the Mezzanine Bar. Unfortunately, I can't remember what this place was called, but I certainly remember the fondue Razz
snow report
Ray Zorro, I'll fill you in when you get here. I didpost a pic of the various routes down the face ... can't remember where though. No time to look. Sorry. L - R they are:
Posettes, Valentin, Belle Etoile, Grande Pente, Sapins, L'Y, Le Diable, Les Vallons/Descente. Valentin pisted daily, Diable 2-3 times a week, L'Y occasionally, the rest never.

I skied GP yesterday and thought that in a week or two with a bit more snow and a lot more skiing it would be quite nice. Very Happy Hellishly steep just above the trees though. Don't think the Grand couloir would be a good idea from what you've told me - much too steep - see Little tiger's photos.
latest report
easiski wrote:
.......... see Little tiger's photos.

Ah. Missed those when they came out. Nice pics.
snow conditions
I am going to LDA on March 1st for the weekend with 9 other intermeadiate skiers and boarders. Can anyone point me in the direction of a mountain guide for the 10 of us for a day so we get the best out of our 3 days skiing.
snow report
garybullen, welcome to sH snowHead I am sure that easiski will be able to help if no-one else does, but she will be skiing till much later this afternoon now.
snow conditions
 brian
brian
garybullen, welcome to snowHead s.

Are you looking for a High Mountain Guide (ie. off piste stuff) or just someone to show you around the pistes ?

If the former then 10 is probably too many and you'd be best to split into 2 separate groups of skiers and boarders. Contact information for the Bureau des Guides is here.

If the latter then you might consider hiring an instructor for the day (engagement journée), you can all get some instruction as well. easiski will be able to advise but I don't think this would be too pricey split 10 ways.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Ray Zorro,

When are you about..?
snow report
JT, do you mean when am I there (as I am always here Laughing ) I go Sun 18th to Thurs 22nd.

Hope you have a great trip yourself snowHead
latest report
Ray Zorro,

We'll miss you then...enjoy and tell us where to head... Laughing
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, Have a great time next week, I will look forward to the report upon your return!! 2 weeks til my weekend there Very Happy
snow conditions
Brian Thanks for your reply. Ideally we would just want to be shown around the slopes and maybe a little off piste, but do want to ski together as a 10, so maybe an instructor would be the way forward.
Cheers.
ski holidays
Ray Zorro, DO NOT and I repeat DO NOT use up all the snow . . . 8 sleeps for me snowHead snowHead snowHead
snow conditions
Leis, have a great one. I left a bit of snow on the glacier for you. If you go up the left hand T-bar, you'll find it near the top Wink

JT, brian, Arno, enjoy your trip tomorrow Very Happy

feefee, if conditions stay as they are, you'll have a great weekend.

I tried to remember these must-do's, and have now created a list of don't do's (see my report in the Piste section). Thanks again to all, some good advice here Very Happy
snow conditions
achilles wrote:
Restaurants:
Tribeca. Mostly Brit clientel when we went their. Excellent food.
The Blue Salmon. French owned - French food - and mostly French customers when I have been there. Maybe the best restaurant in town - don't know if they do vegetarian - but they may..
the Fondue - next to the Blue Salmon. had a large Charlie-Chaplin-like figure holding wooden skis outside. Despite the name sold a variety of good food.
La Meje. Generous Tartiflette.

Mountain Restaurants:
La Fee. small, but somehow has character. Helpful staff, and by mountain-restaurant standards, good value.
The Diable (at the top of the red eggs). ......

OK, some updates.

The Fondue place doesn't have Charly Chaplin outside, now [edit]yes it does, on other side of door from before[/edit]. Good food, though I wouldn't call the Tartiflette generous. Nice place.
Le Cairn - you can't miss it at night, large animated neon windmill highlights it. Inside the food is quite reasonable - but the most memorable thing if you look for it is the live snake in a glass tank, just inside the entrance.
Le Bankok (at the ground floor of the Le Waala appartment building) looks like the sort of resaurant where poor students hang out. Don't be fooled, the food is great, and by Alpine standards, very reasonably priced - IIRC about €15 for a starter, main meal and a Thai beer. Take easiski with you will be treated like royalty - and is maybe why we had a free light dessert on the house.
My guess is that the Blue Salmon will still be great - am saving that for tomorrow. [edit]Cheap menu option - Soup, Pot au feu, Tarte Myrtylles €17.50. Tasty and lots. [/edit]
Don't keep to centered on the Lutins (assuming that's where you're staying) though. Well worth a walk all the way down to the Place de Venosc is Il Caminetto - where the head chef is an amazing, friendly Australian. If you see him (look for the moustache) get his guidance on what to eat. The place is much more than a Pizzeria - though you can certainly have Pizzas. I had veal wrapped in ham - with chips, apple tart and ice cream (both scrummy) and a small glass of red wine for €25 - the hosts threw in an espresso on the house.

On the mountain, the Diable restaurant has moved up market. Very nice food, but pricey. Mind you, I appreciated my free genepy.
The Fee restaurant is still good, but has been discovered by the hordes. Go for an early lunch; 12 mid day is OK, 12:30 is getting crowded.
Le Panoramic. Reasonable - A Lasagne €10.50, a bottle of sparkling mineral water €3.
Best value on the main hill is the Glaciers self-service restaurant, I think. Spaghetti Bolognaise €11, Small beer €3.
On the Pied Moutet side, the Troika restaurant has a nice view from the terrace, and reasonable prices.

Staying un a hotel, I have not been set up to make a picnic lunch or an evening meal. Not been a problem in the past - but with a bit of initiative I could heve made picnic lunches - and maybe should have. Would hace saved me a lot.

Tip: Some restaurants charge for the use of their loos - ut will give a free token, if asked, to customers. Examples: Les Gaciers, and La Patache (where a hot chocolate with rum will set you back €5.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Fri 16-01-09 23:37; edited 2 times in total
latest report
Ray Zorro, don't go to La Fee if you snowboard and there is plenty of fighting in the town where one doesn't have to be drunk to join in - but it may help to get the full enjoyment...

don't miss the 8-man chair from toura to the g-g-g-g-lacier - so much more refreshing than jandri 13
ski holidays
red 27, Ray Zorro posted in 2007. My post was to update the restaurant information, rather than start another thread. I have seen absolutely no sign whatsoever of fighting. Don't know who you hang out with. Shocked
latest report
achilles, He was here at New Year and hung out at the english places! Shocked
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy