Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

caring for new skis

Poster: A snowHead
At long last! I am now the proud owner of my first pair of skis - Dynastar - purchased in Tignes just before Christmas Very Happy . One thing no-one has said is how to care for them (a little leaflet or something with them wouldn't have gone amiss) rolling eyes

They are currently in their ski bag. My questions are:

Waxing - apparently I must wax them before I ski again (which I plan to this season). Is waxing them yourself easy and can anyone recommend a good wax to me?

Keeping edges sharp Is this something done once a season or how often? Do I need to clean the edges with anything when they are stored away?

Servicing As part of the deal, Ski Set (where I bought them) will give me a free annual service each year - though has to be in Tignes! However, an instructor mentioned to me to get skis serviced as little as possible as he thinks they are never quite the same afterwards. Any advice please.

Thank you!

PS: Didierre in Ski Set in Tignes was very helpful when I was trying them out. Having narrowed it down to 2 different lengths, they kept both lengths set up for me as I went out did some runs, came back swopped, went out again etc., until I was happy. Plus they they charged me no rental for the week.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
there is tons of info on here as to what to do, try searching wax, tuning etc or try

http://letmegooglethatforyou.com/?q=jons+ski+tuning
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
kitenski, Ok, thanks. Sorry, I should have done searches before posting Embarassed
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find that neglecting them between trips, leaving them to fester wrapped in the socks and underwear that they were packed with (probably a bit damp) works well enough. Expect panicked washing of rust cloured socks & pants the night before the next trip.

On a serious point I agree about the full service at most shops - they just chuck them through a machine which grinds off too much edge and base shortening the life of the skis.

I also found out that universal wax is like glue at -30 so not waxing can som etimes be a better option.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Beverley, You can look after your skis well with a modicom of kit. I started with an eight quid travel iron and some wax. Edge sharpening can be done with a guide and diamond stone... a little pricey at approx £30 but you can always do your friends skis and cover your own costs. I often give my edges a quick run over mid trip with the skis balanced on a couple of chairs in the apartment.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Beverley, one of the tips I received from Spyderjon (our resident tuning wiz) was to use Zardoz Notwax on the bases and edges. It's a really simple to apply, silicon (PTFE) based product that comes in a little ice hockey type puck dispenser -

http://www.jonsskituning.co.uk/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,66/category_id,10/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/

It's not a substitute for waxing, but a quick wipe on the bases of your skis will help out a lot. Also, if you run it down the edges of your skis it will stop them from going rusty when stored. A handy piece of kit for only a few quid Very Happy I've always two or three of them laying around and they seem to last quite a while too!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beverley, When storing skis for long periods apply a good coating of wax and leave unscraped until you need them again.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks all. I've lovingly washed and dried them wink and left them out in the spare room. The edges are certainly sharp as I managed to slice my thumb whilst wiping them dry Sad

We planning to go again in March, so will get them waxed before we go. Will probably get someone to do this for me as I may mess it up. After this trip I will do the thick wax coat and leave on, as everyone, including kevinrhead, seems to advise as a good idea.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If they are high end skis (esp. race skis) dry off the edges as soon as possible after skiing, the harder steel used rusts very very quickly.

Do not store them clipped together for long periods, this makes them de-camber

New skis should be waxed at least 5 times before using them (hot scrapes) - what comes from the factory is just for transit not skiing!

Remember that sharpening is done on the SIDE EDGE ONLY, leave the base edge alone

The instructor you mention was probably talking about base grinds which gets rid of an amount of base damage and resets the base edge angle. Repeatedly doing this means you eventually run out of p-tex - not really a problem for occasional skiers though. If the skis don't come back the same, the shop has set probably different side and/or base edge angles to what the ski had before and so it will ski quite differently.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Beverley wrote:
Thanks all. I've lovingly washed and dried them wink and left them out in the spare room. The edges are certainly sharp as I managed to slice my thumb whilst wiping them dry Sad

We planning to go again in March, so will get them waxed before we go. Will probably get someone to do this for me as I may mess it up. After this trip I will do the thick wax coat and leave on, as everyone, including kevinrhead, seems to advise as a good idea.

Glad to hear that you are taking care of your new purchase Beverley - a little bit of TLC goes a long way. No doubt someone will show you the fingernail trick of seeing how sharp your edges are.......far less painful than using your thumb! Shocked

And honestly, the whole waxing malarky isn't that tricky and actually (I find) quiet therapeutic and gratifying. Last year I did a pair of blades for a guy at work who hadn't touched them since the day he bought them from S&R 4 years ago. No waxing, edging, nothing. After a base grind to take out the nasties and a few sessions in the garage, the bases looked like new. He couldn't believe they were his blades.....I felt quiet pleased with myself wink

There's lots of snowHead who know a lot about waxing and edging (far more than me) so keep on asking questions if you are ever unsure of things

And enjoy your trip in March!
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Should the edges be sharp enough to cut your thumb if you run it along the edges? I've just purchased a new pair of skis and the edges aren't that sharp... Should I get them sharpened do you think?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
avalon42, when I had my skis serviced by spyderjon, http://www.skituning.co.uk/ I shaved with them for a week.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Frosty the Snowman,oh really? Better get them sharpened then! Haha... I feel like such a novice learning as I go along! Thanks
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
avalon42, the 'tried and tested' method Madeye-Smiley of seeing how sharp your edges are is to use your finger and see if you can shave a little off the nail when rubbed across the edge. Watch this vid, about 1m 30secs in he shows the technique - http://www.mountainzone.com/videos/playvideo.asp?vid=8323

A lot of people test the edges at the top of the ski, as per the guy on the video, but I would also advocate testing them in the middle (in the area of the binding) as that's an area that does a lot of work and invariably starts to dull first
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Sleipnir, they would probably put a bit of a dent in my thumbnail but they are by no means razor sharp. I'm going to snow and rock next week to get bindings set and mounted so I'll get them to check them over and do what needs to be done. Thanks for your input!
ski holidays
Frosty the Snowman, I have a sudden vision of your as Desperate Dan for some reason.

Be gentle with those edges guys. Light strokes with a fine diamond file does the job, and not too many of them.

snowHead
latest report
Chris Bish wrote:

Be gentle with those edges guys. Light strokes with a fine diamond file does the job, and not too many of them.

snowHead

"A fine diamond file...." would something like a 400 grit fit the bill? And the same principle would apply to a quick (mid week) tune up if the edges are starting to dull?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy