Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Question to all you bootfitters

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
My wife got a pair of custom footbeds made last week at ellis brigham in Braehead, as she has got a really high instep and I've been going on at her for ages now. In fairness to them they done a really good job.

Problem that she found today after a wee ski at Xscape, was that her right foot especially was really sore at the top. I'm guessing that the higher arch has forced her foot up a bit and even though the boots were as loose as they could be. EB had said beforehand that they could shave off some of the sole of the footbed off if she did encounter any problems but I'm wondering if that would make such a difference - her right foot was almost bruised. I'm wondering if she should get the shell heat expanded a bit and if this would be better than messing about with the footbeds.

The other option is to buy new boots as she's always seemed to have niggles with the current boots. If so are there any makes/models of boots that have quite a big volume inside - my wife is 5ft 4, size 12 but reasonably big boned (and I mean that in the nicest possible sense, even though it sounds like I'm dissing her Embarassed )

Any help appreciated
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski,

I'm not an expert but I had a little shaved off my footbeds and it did make a big difference. Suggest you try that before buying new boots unless the other niggles are significant.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
welshflyer, cheers. I would not have thought it would make any significant impact. Will give it a go
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
why not take them back to EB and have their bootfitter look at them?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boabski, Dropping the foot down in the boot by removing material from the footbed or baseplate can be very effective at reducing this pressure but I can't really give specific advice without seeing the foot and boot together. There are a number of boots that suit a foot with a high instep but again it would be necessary to see the foot to give specific recommendations.

You need to get your wife to a decent bootfitter who can help you further.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
"High-volume" boots in my experience are Head and Dalbello although I have had a good experience with Atomic.

Salomon made me cry & my toenails fall off. Sad
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Alexandra, Each manufacturer has a range of different shapes ('lasts') that are both high and low volume. No manufacturer just makes one 'volume' of boot. It is important this common misconception is corrected.

Boots that make you cry and your toenails fall off are simply the wrong boot, not the wrong manufacturer. An experienced bootfitter will be able to select a boot that best matches the shape of your foot so that pressure is distributed equally, thus avoiding pain/discomfort and increasing precision and control over your skis.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks NAKEDZOOKEEPER, They are Dalbello boots Alexandra, and she had looked at Atomic at the time as these were the boots for those requiring more volume
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
boabski, I had exactly this problem after EB's at Castleford firmed up the support under my arch on my custom insoles.

I'd take them back to EB's and see what they suggest as everyones feet (and boots) are different.

In my case EB's did grind a little off the underside of the insole which helped a little but the real difference was made as follows:
A piece of hard foam was stuck to the top of my foot (under my ski sock), the boot liner was then heated and 're-fitted' with the buckles done up very tight. This was really quite painful Shocked Shocked for the 20 mins I had to bear the boot being on with pressure on the top of my foot. Net result was that more room was created by the padding in the tongue of the boot liner being compressed.

This sorted my problem but maybe something different is required with your wife - take them back to EB's and I'm sure they will sort this out.

Oh, and I found wearing really thin (smartwool) socks with my new boots really helped with the comfort - is she wearing really thin socks ?
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
NAKEDZOOKEEPER wrote:
Alexandra,Boots that make you cry and your toenails fall off are simply the wrong boot, not the wrong manufacturer. An experienced bootfitter will be able to select a boot that best matches the shape of your foot so that pressure is distributed equally, thus avoiding pain/discomfort and increasing precision and control over your skis.

I do agree with your post, sadly these WERE fitted professionally... by a much respected fitter who I'm not going to name but I bought them in Banff... Toofy Grin

I feel (in retrospect) that I'd been a little bullied in to buying them even though I knew they were "tight" - I kept getting told that these were the boots for me, there were no problems etc., etc. Puzzled

So whilst I agree with what you've said - I'm trusting my own judgement with boots these days - I know what hurts and what doesn't - not your biometric, nuclear-powered, coffee-making foot machine. Blush
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Alexandra, are they located beside the video rental shop and an art gallery? Laughing Toofy Grin
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hairy Boy, Thanks. Her liners are not mouldable unfortunately, otherwise what you're suggesting makes perfect sense - plus it would allow me to see my wife go through the agony I went through getting my Strolz boots done last year Twisted Evil Her socks are pretty thin but may suggest getting silk ones for her - I used to ski with a pair of liner socks years ago and were absolutely fine
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy