Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Serre Chevalier Questions

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Helen Beaumont, can I ask what the food is like in the Bachas restaurant?

Only ever used it as a hot chocolate break.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Christopher, actually Bachas is not my favourite, that is Peyra Juana further down the mountain. Food at Bachas, particularly the Plat du Jour is good, as is the French onion soup. Other stuff is standard saucisse frites, poulet frites etc.

It is due for a much needed refurbishment next year, and I think they will extend it too.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Right its coming upto decision time. Plan so far is to spend 3 weeks skiing in a row this March. From probably what is going to be the 27/28 Feb March - 22nd March.

Which of week of March would you go to Serre Chevalier? As I'm spending time in other resorts meeting friends. Taking into consideration holidays, queues, reliability of being able to ski back down to the villages later in March. The other clause is that the other two resorts are close to each other, so the two weeks in those other resorts have to be together (i.e. When I go to Serre Che it needs to be either the last week or first week). Alternatively I have thought about just doing 2 weeks in Serre Che, and a week elsewhere.

So to simplify, would you go the weekend 27/27 February (I think this may be in peak holiday period though, although Im not 100% on that) or it'd be 13/14 March.

Cheers snowHead
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Christopher, not until after the French holidays finish on the 6th March, so 13th/14th onwards, Can you not delay your trip by a week to avoid French holidays completely. ? You'll be able to ski down to the village in Serre Che until at least mid-April.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Christopher, if you've got to come in the school holidays the last week is the better of them to pick and you'll really notice how quiet it is when they've all gone home!
i'm a seasonair this year with the ramontee mecanique so i'll be in chantemerle every sat and sun to help you all with your passes
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Grand stuff. Plan is at the moment to be in Les Arcs from 6th March onwards, which isn't school holidays. Week 2 to be in Val d'Isere. I'll be visiting friends doing a season out there, thats why I'm going to the other two resorts. 3rd week from 20th March I'll be coming to Serre Che alone staying in the UCPA centre. I'll be taking the train from Bourg st.Maurice to Chambery and then onwards to Oulx for those who are interested. I don't know how lift passes work with them, whether we are sent over to the ticket office to have pictures taken or what.

I know conditions vary year on year, but in late March how bad are the usual free-thaw conditions? not fancying icy pistes in the morning and then slush in the afternoon. However I may be making an issue out of absolutely nothing. Just not sure whether those general conditions start usually in April or late March?

If anyone is about and wants to meet up for a ski I'll be up for it that week

Can't wait now

snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Christopher, conditions are usually pretty good in late March, probably better than you would experience in a normal Christmas (you were there on an exceptionally good one). Don't tell everyone, but when we went to VT in April to the EOSB for a few days, we left better and less slushy conditions behind us in Serre Che despite the lower altitude.
Might get slushy late in the day on the slopes back to the villages , but you know where to go to find the good stuff . We'll be there that week if you fancy meeting up with a couple of 'old folks'
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helen Beaumont, well that sounds great. A bit of slush at the bottom of the lower pistes wouldn't ruin my holiday.

I'd be more than happy to meet up with you that week.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Question re: snow quality.

I've read somewhere round and abouts that the snow systems that hit Serre Chevalier are different from the Tarantaise? Is it also the orientation of the slopes? And is the snow actually a better quality?

Looking for somewhere from mid December till just after christmas and fancy a change from Tignes.

Also, any thoughts on lift queues appreciated.

Will be driving down.

Great to get the info from all the very helpful people on here Very Happy

The pics on the webcam look great at the moment.

TIA
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
hi gryfon,
Snow quality - Serre Che is quite southern, so if the weather systems come from the south it gets the dumps first, and vice versa if they come from the north. Maybe this is what you are picking up on. Couldn't say as I have noticed that the snow in itself is particularly different/drier/fluffier/whatever yadayada. But it always seems to 'work' ok when we have been snowHead Would add that am not a hairy off pister, but I am sure someone will come along and enlighten!

Queues at that time of year IMO are not too bad - if at all. Some bits get busy eg. Serre Ratier 6 pack up to the top of Serre Che at lunchtime can get a bit of a queue e.g. 2 mins....and there is another linking lift in the Frejus/Villeneuve sector that gets a bit busy e.g. 3 min queue...so as long as you avoid taking the big gondolas up at e.g 9.30 in the morning at peak ski school times it is fine. It is such a large area, and bits have really done wonders upgrading creaky old lifts to 6 or 8 packs that queuing is not really an issue.

It is nothing like Tignes - the tree skiing is wonderful.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gryfon, no comparison to the bleakness of Tignes. Tree lined, scenic, and wonderful wink
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
gryfon,
Snow conditions often different due to different weather systems affecting the northern and southern French alps. No-one can accurately predict which one will be better in December at the moment. Serre Che is miles more attractive but personally I would wait untill Dec and see which resorts are benefitting from the prevailing weather.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Hey folks, I'll be in Serre Che from 13th to 20th March, staying in an apartment in the centre of Villeneuve, next to the town hall. I wouldn't mind hooking up with some decent skiers or boarders as my travelling companions will stay on rather sedate and familiar pistes.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Many thanks for the great info in the replies. It really is much appreciated.

I am scoping out accomodation options and given the recent warm blast, am going to wait a little longer before booking.

I hope to do other trips this year, but Serre Che sounds like it will be great for a joint Christmas break.

Thanks again. (the queues do sound horrendous though Toofy Grin ) Laughing
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

the queues do sound horrendous though Toofy Grin ) Laughing

SHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy