Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Dynastar Legend series.....

Poster: A snowHead
All,
Quick question for all you who know far more about skis than I Smile
Last year (at the recommendation of Brian Hogg (recommended on here)) I rented some all mountain Dynastar Legend 8000's last year for both on piste and off piste. Quite frankly they were awesome, I had so much more confidence in my ability both on and off compared to my rather tired atomics.

Anyway, I'm just booking my rentals for this years trip and the place I'm booking doesn't have the 8000's, but does have the 4800's ....
I've done some quick googling and can't really find the difference in the series as they all look to be all mountain class skis, so if someone can help here I'd be most grateful.

The other option is to go for the well rated Rossi B3's, comments ? This year I'll probably do a 60/40 split on piste/off piste.

Thanks in advance for all the help Smile

Si.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
fishslice, If you're looking for a 60% piste ski, then the 4800's are fine. The 4800 were derived from the old Intuitive 74, which was a great all-rounder.

The B3 is more off piste orientated than the 4800.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Interesting you should say that fishslice, I used the 8000s for a trip last season and got similarly carried away! I think the 4800s have similar shape but are not as stiff. I read somewhere that this season's 4800 is stiffer than it used to be so it may not be that far off the 8000 now. Haven't used the B3 - I think this year Rossi have changed the Bandits to "SC80", "DC95" and so on. So a "B3" is probably last season's model. But the shop may be offering last season's Dynastars as well, who knows?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
fishslice, I have the 8000s which I use for touring and find them very good for this purpose, I'm not so keen on them for piste skiing mainly because they're quite straight by todays standards and not ideal for carving shorter radius turns. I havent skiied on the 4800's but think they are basically a narrower version of the 8000 which are probably a bit better on piste but not so good off. Personally, for your suggested use I would go for something with a bit more sidecut like the scott aztec or mission which I have also used and prefer using on piste to the legends.

It is personal preference though-If find a good rental shop in resort they would probably agree to letting you try different skiis til you found the ones you liked
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
As another owner of (in my case, now dead) 8000s, I agree with sledger. The 4800s are narrower, 74mm IIRC, and softer, and very common as touring skis. You don't say what weight you are, but if you're not a lightweight you may need something a bit fatter if you really want to enjoy your 40% off piste. You also don't say what level/style skier you are. If you're reasonably aggressive you may also need something a bit stiffer for your on-piste stuff. Stockli XXLs maybe a good choice (XLs if you're a bit lighter), or maybe something from Nordica - I very much enjoyed the Afterburners (84mm) I had for a couple of days - good float in powder and solid carver on-piste - and the Nitrous (78mm?) could be just the compromise you're after. For a year or two older model the Atomic Sweet Daddy was also a reasonable performer similar to the 8000.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Im collecting a pair of 4800 tomorrow in Tignes. I cant wait to give them a go.
To be honest any skis will do, I just cant wait to get to the mountains.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:

To be honest any skis will do, I just cant wait to get to the mountains

Like the attitude-enjoy it!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've just checked the Dynastar website - as I thought this season's 4800 is identical to the 8000 just softer (79mm waist 19m radius). So if it is the new model fishslice it should be comparable to the 8000. If last season's, probably not what you want.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Awesome responses as ever Smile Thanks all. I'll book the 4800's and go then chat with the shop when I arrive and go from there.

I'm a fairly aggressive on-piste skier who's been skiing since 8 (now 33 and just qualified as a level 1 SSUK instructor Toofy Grin) - but only my second seaons off-pisting so still a bit gung-ho-fall-over atm Happy (oh and I weigh a lot less since my instructor training Smile, now 12.5kg @ 5ft11)

Si
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Honestly, i've been around a few factories that make skis, but Dynastar are awesome. IMO
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Oh-h-hhh, I SO want a pair of Dynastars again. I'm going to try and test some the week after next and then start saving up...
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hurtle, Exclusive Legend Powder. Sweet.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
SMALLZOOKEEPER, it's the Fluid I think I want to try - I don't ski enough powder for the Powder. Waddya think?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
If it's Narrower than your boot it will work on Piste. Little Angel
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
SMALLZOOKEEPER, what, you mean the Powder?
ski holidays
Yeah. It's a sweet ski.
snow report
SMALLZOOKEEPER, oh, OK. Thanks. (Apologies for thread drift.)
ski holidays
Hurtle, dynastar rock (well, except for the 1998-1999 bit when they got caught with trous down). No apology needed.
ski holidays
comprex, yes, I was brand loyal to Dynastar, right from the first pair of skinnies I bought. Don't know why I suddenly took into my head to buy a pair of Heads, latterly. Well, yes, I do - they were a good end-of-season price and I wanted something that I needed to ski a bit more aggressively, since I thought that would bring my (piste) skiing on a bit and this was before I had really ventured off piste at all. I dunno, maybe they have actually helped my skiing along, but they are quite hard work, and I sink like a stone in powder.
ski holidays
Hurtle, iXRC very close to Dynastar feel IMO (Heads slightly damper, slightly heavier). Not problem. You not stray such much.
snow report
comprex, interesting. Feel more than slightly heavier to me, than any Dynastars I've skied. (I've got the 800s.)
ski holidays
Hurtle wrote:
but they are quite hard work,

OK, I do take your word for it here, but find it rather unusual, so much so that I would like to see video.

Quote:

and I sink like a stone in powder.

-shrug- OK, not unexpected.
snow report
comprex,
Quote:

I would like to see video

Too shy! Embarassed
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy