Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bad Hofgastein Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for homphomp's resort report:

Bad Hofgastein (March 2007)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hoppo, nice report and represents Bad Hofgastein and the skiing in the valley really well. wink Good to see you enjoyed the place.

Just a couple of things to add, don't forget the Graukogel ski area. It's limited with the number of runs but they're pretty steep and often deserted. There's off piste opportunities here too and it's all tree lined so a bad wether option too - well worth the visit.

On the night life, I agree that Bad Hofgastein can be quite quiet. However, it is the Gasteinertal's commercial centre whereas Bad Gastein is the resort. Bad Gastein is much livelier in the winter than Hofgastein. They recently had the
Red Bull Playstreets event - a ski competition, skiing down between the buildings in the town!! It drew quite a crowd to say the least. Toofy Grin

Cheers
Kersh
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I thought Bad Hofgastein was nicer to walk around than Bad Gastein. It is not as steep for a start.

I think the hotels offer remarkable value for money. As well as the spa crowd there is also a big conference trade for the hotels. You do not really need the thermal baths as the hotels nearly all have their own pools and saunas.

You may need to get a bus to the lift, but from Bad Hofgastein you are best positioned for the three big areas.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Kersh, it was homphomp what went to Bad Hofgastein - I just do the indexing wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah yes, noted. Sorry Homphomp.

K
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kersh wrote:
....nice report and represents Bad Hofgastein and the skiing in the valley really well. wink Good to see you enjoyed the place.

Thanks!

Kersh wrote:
......don't forget the Graukogel ski area.

We did....didn't even see it on the piste map until after we got back! Still it'll give us somwhere new to explore when we get back there.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Latchigo wrote:
You do not really need the thermal baths as the hotels nearly all have their own pools and saunas.

Too true....guests at the Osterreichischer Hof get to use the AlpenTherme for free, and I doubt if I'd have paid to get in if it wasn't included in the price already as the hotel has plenty of facilities anyway. But it was very nice all the same....
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
homphomp wrote:
We did....didn't even see it on the piste map until after we got back! Still it'll give us somwhere new to explore when we get back there.

Sad You missed out there but like you say, you can always go back! snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kersh, The odd thing is that we saw buses heading out to Graukogel but never made the connection that we might want to get on one!!! Must be old age?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anybody been to Bad Hofgastein recently. Thinking of going there for Jan 09 taking a group of 16 mature adults, few non skiers so have some advantage of spa. Has anybody stayed at Palace Hotel in Bad Hof?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Bad Hofgastein just back from New Year Week and thought you might like an update.

Snow was good and blue skies all week, apart from the 1st which was cloudy with little snowfall.

Skiing was good - nice blue and red runs - didn't do black so can't comment - in fact didn't do much red either, mainly due to recovering from flu. But my husband got around most of the Schlossalm and Stuberkogel (spelling?) runs and said they were all brilliant. We started off from Angertal each day - a 10 minute bus ride from Bad Hofgastein. The ski schools seem to start from that base also. The ski school was good - although I didn't take to my instructor on the first day - his technique was to shout and if you fell, as I did when faced with a red run after months of no skiing and having had flu for a fortnight - his reaction was to shout 'get up now' even louder. Well I didn't go on holiday to be shouted at - so got myself another instructor - much better at actually teaching and helping me to progress - as you may have guessed I am not exactly the world's best skier!

The runs are all nice and long and the blues go through trees in a very mellow kind of way, occassionally overlapping with the wide downhill red pistes.

The resort was busy as it was new year, but not as crowded as we thought it might have been.

Bad Hofgastein is more of a 'normal' town than a ski resort and you do need to use the ski buses.

We stayed in the Impuls Tirol which I couldn't recommend highly enough - nice rooms, fantastice food (the New Years Eve dinner a 7 course gourmet treat), friendly staff and relaxing spa and pool - i love swimming in the open air surrounded by snow.

We would go back again for skiing and hotel. Didn't meet a lot of other British skiers but there were many, many Russians, who all seemed to smoke like chimneys, although the party at the dinner table next to ours were a great laugh.

I would recommend the area for skiing if you are a mixed ability group who doesn't mind going your separate ways during the day. My husband went for an advanced class and mastered his carving techniques while I finally managed to get to grips with parallel turns.

We hired skis and boots from 47 North - excellent quality gear.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy