Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Making the most of it!

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hey all,

I just booked a ski trip to Tignes for the end of feb and V. V. excited, haven't been skiing for a good 4 years so really want to make the most of it!

Costing me about £500 all in with passes, ski hirer, travel and accomodation at Val Claret which I think is a bargain.

So out of interest, I have a few questions, what level skiier would I be?

I have skied in france, austria and vermont america, for about a week each time, done black and double black diamonds (stateside) and been comfortable on these slopes.

I used to do a lot of inline skating, half pipes, street etc, but not done any of it for a good few years so a bit weary on my abilities - I would say rusty intermediate? does that sound about right?

Then for the trip, and tips to make it the best? I love fast skiing, I love getting air, but never been "professional" about doing it, let's just say my motto of the trip in stateside was "just tuck and go"

Oh and hello to all, I am new here Smile
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome. You're probably a low intermediate. People always over estimate their ability.

You say you've done blacks & double-blacks? So what? Did you ski them well or did you hack your way down? I skied La Face de Bellevarde in Val d'Isere last year, so does that make me as good a skier as Bode?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
xxtokerxx, welcome. Does it matter what level you are as you will find out soon enough?! Why don't you book a refresher lesson for day 2 (ski legs first day) to get the max from your trip?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
xxtokerxx, welcome to snowHeads. snowHead

You were fast, happy and stoked - but were you in control? It is easy to go straight down hill - rolling rocks do it all the time.

Recently I have started noticing that where it used to be young boarders who jumped without a view or a spotter, or straight-lined it, it now seems to be less than brilliant skiers usually on twin-tips.

What the others say - take some lessons - have fun - find out how good others think you are. But have a great time. snowHead
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
xxtokerxx, welcome to sHs ! . . . sorry, no idea what level skier you are . . . but, where did you find your bargain holiday ?
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

take some lessons

I think that's what he's asking? What level he should claim to be for the school?

Quote:

I have skied in france, austria and vermont america, for about a week each time, done black and double black diamonds (stateside) and been comfortable on these slopes.

There're quite different ways of how a run is "done" so that's not got too much to do with the level you ski.

And the "number of weeks" also is not a precise measure of your skill level.

Perhaps you should consider a private on day 2, as others suggested?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
xxtokerxx, Welcome.. I think you'll do fine and be at home in Tignes. The pistes are big and wide mostly so fast skiing is usual. You might want to reign it in when there are people about as piste safety is a bit of an issue in europe atm, IMV.

My personal view is that Tignes attracts way too many people but it does have a very efficient lift system to cope... just avoid the crowds, would be my mantra.

RE lessons..??? maybe a few refreshers at the start, but apart from taking due care, Tignes isn't that wild a place. It is an intermediates paradise mostly, altho' if you look around it can cater for all ..AND some...!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for the warm welcoming!

I don't think I am a pro skier by all accounts, just had a few weeks on the slopes and was comfortable just wanted to know how that would class as never classed my self before - I would have said years ago when I was big into skating pipes i was a high intermediate, but when I went back to it last year I was almost a beginer again! I couldn't believe I had nerves about dropping in!

Just was wondering how it goes - to be fair I probably am low intermediate, always been able to stop my self when i need to (Apart from one or two occasions, but i am sure that is the case for us all!)

I just want to make the most of it, not sure if I will take up any lessons, think i'll take a day out and see how I cope (will head down to milton keynes for an indoor session too) sure i'll be fine.

Can't wait!

IncogSkiSno

We built the trip up ourselves, looked at tignes.co.uk for accomodation and deciding traveling by car (although it is 13 hour drive!) would be the best, worth noting there is 7 of us going so the costs are split up a little.

At last count it came in at £511, that includes ski hirer, getting there, getting back, lift passes, everything essentially bar food and drink

I chose Rossignol B3 ski's as were pretty cheap but looked good - but when it comes to equipment you can probably tel I am a complete novice, if they don't suit me I'll change them, rental place seems pretty ool about that!

Any tips about tignes?

I skied val d'isere about 5 years ago so some runs will be familiar.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Have a look at skinewgen.com as they have videos and descriptions to help you work out what level you are. On another note they are really good instructors if you are looking to do some lessons - have used them in the past for group lessons and private one on ones and they beat the dreaded ESF hands down! (This was in Courchevel but I think they work out of Tignes too).
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
tignes is brilliant for going off-piste straight of the lifts, most places off-piste end up at nuvva lift bottom - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrril

can't remember the name of the piste - but summit like enchanted valley - yer gotta do that, it has little tunnels, yer have to duck down to get through and really tight gorges where you can reach yer arms out and touch cliff both sides yer - luvvvvvvvvved it
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
innerspaceservices wrote:
tignes is brilliant for going off-piste straight of the lifts, most places off-piste end up at nuvva lift bottom - brrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrril

can't remember the name of the piste - but summit like enchanted valley - yer gotta do that, it has little tunnels, yer have to duck down to get through and really tight gorges where you can reach yer arms out and touch cliff both sides yer - luvvvvvvvvved it

Vallee Perdu (sp?) - yes it is great fun, there wasn't a tunnel when I did it but others have said so, maybe we entered the run too low, but very interesting run down!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
xxtokerxx, we're are a nice bunch even if not everyone's so welcoming Smile

I did Val and Tignes in December (I'm a boarder though) and I'd only done three weeks before, with odd blacks done okay, reds done well and blue sussed easily. If you can navigate reds with control and without feeling like you're concentrating for your life, then you'll be okay. Don't even bother classifying yourself - just enjoy the slopes I say. Smile
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy