Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tignes, 10 Jan ish week - lessons

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Need advice on what to do re lessons this year.

This will be my 2nd week in winter, after 1 week in Summer and 1 ski in a day course (made level 5 at MK...)

Skiing wise, enjoyed Reds and steep wide blues in La Rosiere last year. Loathed a couple of the flatter narrow blues.

Skied 1 black last year. Very short/straight and made it down with no splats (and about 2 turns) rest of time sideslipping in slightly nervous fashion - might have had something to do with colour of piste poles and nearly being taken out by man (on behind/back) and his skis which descended on me from above - skis ran over back of mine, he passed in front of me by not very much. Then got a bit more nervous about crowded pistes, although I can stop very efficiently from my fastest speed.

Group I'm with isn't quite my level - either lots better - happiest with blacks/moguls or first week skiers and just me in between. OH probably wants some freedom to go off and do blacks and moguls and some off piste.

Would I be better with a couple of private lessons (1 or 2 x 2 hrs at most - not enough money for more given exchange rates!) or doing ski school. French or English instruction is fine - my French is fluent and I've only really learned skiing in French. Recommendations very welcome...

Ski school (ESF class 1) was a bit boring last time - I just sort of skied around in the instructor's tracks - could do most of the exercises already and was at the top end of the class, but the instructor I had on the last day was much better, and solved my inability to sideslip with any pace/fluency in about 1 minute (by grabbing my hips and positioning them so I could flatten my skis to the slope!

Sorry for the long post

Thanks

R
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Randomsabreur, I've had lessons (private and shared with one other) recently with Evolution in Tignes - great tuition and focussed on exactly what I wanted to improve upon balanced with what I needed to change. very good at explainign what I needed to do.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thanks!

Really not sure what level I'd be - from what I think I can do, I'm much higher than the number of weeks skiing - or is La Rosiere more generous in its classifications so what would be a red in La Ros would be a Blue in tignes?
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Randomsabreur, don't know the answer to that one, never been to L Ros. Go private if you can, then you will get tailored tuition to your level.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Randomsabreur, try sending Stewart Woodward a pm, highly recommended by many. Good luck and send me a pm if you don`t have luck with Stewart. Cool maybe see you for a drinkie afterwards. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks all!

Have now decided to go for ESF ski school for 5 days (Mon to Fri) mostly to give OH a chance to go and have some fun on "interesting" (his description) or "scary" (my description) stuff with the other experienced skiers in the mornings. We will meet up for lunch and afternoon fun. Hopefully he will find me some nice stuff to play on, with limited moguls and no icy pistes with cliffs next to them.

That way we both get a good holiday, and I get to improve my French and have the social element of ski school.

I could have got 1 or 2 private lessons within our budget, but that would have left my OH shepherding me on blues/reds and maybe easy blacks while his experienced skier friends do "interesting" blacks and off piste fun and the less experienced skiers are in ski school. Given my slight nervousness with chairlifts (don't like heights) I wouldn't be up to skiing much on my own so ski school works as "babysitting" for me while he goes off and plays (and explores to find nice non-scary stuff for the afternoon!
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Randomsabreur, too late, sorry I would have also sugested Evolution They teach a really fast advancing way. I saw all the poor esf groups snowploughing everywhere, very boring.

I'm sure this time you will have fun and if you have time and money do some private lessons with evolution I strongly recommend them. I am skiing in les gets this year unfortunately they do not operate there, otherwise I would stretch my budget for a couple of hours.

I googled evolution they have a good website.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy