Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Change to Banff ski bus service next year

Poster: A snowHead
As reported on the SCGB forum, the ski resorts of Sunshine, Lake Louise & Norquay have announced that next year they will cease picking up from hotels and will just pick up from one central point in Banff Shocked Evil or Very Mad . It is thought that this could be an effort to make the hotels contribute towards the cost of the bus service. Further details in the Crag and Canyon .

If you're planning to go out there next year keep an eye on this as it could make the skiing there pretty inconvenient in that there could be a hefty walk to get to the bus stop, or you'd need to hire a car. It looks like they're trying to sort something out and I can't believe they would actually stop the current bus service which is so efficient, but worth being aware of this possibility.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
cathy,

This would be disastrous Shocked

I love Banff but no way am I trekking to a central point - which would be absolutely heaving - with skis. Maybe they would install lockers or something, but even so up to a mile walking in ski boots- no thanks.

I can't even think of anywhere suitable in the centre. It would only work if they had regular stops along Banff Avenue - but hey, thats kinda what they do now, except they pull in at the hotels rolling eyes

Car hire on top of an already pricy holiday? Don't think so, driving from Calgary you'd have to pay entrance fees to the national park as well. Not to mention having to park about half a mile or more away from the gondola at Sunshine unless you get there before 9.00

If this is an attempt to get the hotels to contribute then its pretty heavy handed. I always thought the funding came from the lift passes so why not just add a few bucks onto that?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It would ruin a fantastic service and be absolute chaos in the mornings. It would certain stop me going without have a hire car.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I knew this was coming, I stayed at Lake Louise Inn this year and they did Lake Louise pickup everyday but only did Sunshine pickup every Thursday & Sunday, it used to be everyday. The others locations had to be arranged.

NOTE: there's no reason why you can't get the greyhound / brewster buss to Banff for approx $16 CAD on a morning.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We were planning to go back there next year for our Canada fix but certainly won't if there isn't the same efficient bus service - which is the only thing that makes being such a way from the slopes bearable.

I shall be firing off my email to SkiBig3 to tell them so! Toofy Grin http://www.skibig3.com/
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
cathy,

thanks for the link - I've just emailed info@skibig3.com and media@skibig3.com
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
With so many lovely ski in, ski out resorts in Canada, without the good bus service at Banff, I can think of plenty of better options of places to go to Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Seems like a bit of a fuss so obviously the resorts need to focus on it. It could actually work out quicker -guests are shuttled in to a central spot where ski buses leave from every few minutes.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
fatbob,

Interesting idea, but who would pay for the shuttles? I do like the idea of buses leaving every few minutes as it can be a pain if you get up just a bit too late for the bus you wanted, but I can imagine the queues would be enormous at the centre.

Have you been to Banff? I've always found the service really quick from Inns of Banff - the bus often starts there and fills up so straight off, otherwise only makes one or two stops before and/or after - maybe takes 5 mins.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
info@skibig3.com has just opened my email
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Car Hire was included in our package, so we didn't use the bus. I sold my park pass afterwards to another snowhead I think. It's actually valid for over 12 months , so you could keep it for next year.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I stayed at the Inns of Banff last year which is right on the edge of town. Although they ran a (very small) shuttle hourly into town it would be totally impractical to stay there and get to a pick up point.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Well if we have to get more than one bus to get to a ski area or hire a car we won't be going Sad

I guess we'll have to see what developments will happen over the summer. If I get a response from them I'll post it here
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This would be a terrible mistake. The wonderful, efficient, always jovial bus service more than makes up for the fact that you have to get a bus to the ski areas in the first place. I know one or two people who've balked at the idea of getting on a bus and without the bus service as it is, I think there will be Brits who think twice about booking Banff and look to other Canadian resorts instead.

I'm sure there are few in the Snowheads community who think this is a good idea, perhaps if we're all of the same opinion we could use our combined might to help the Big3 to consider otherwise? If I knew how to set up an online petition, I would.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think they will have to come up with a solution soon. Although we didn't use the bus, as it was easier with kids to pile into the car as soon as we were ready, one of the plus points about Banff, was it's efficient ski bus service for those without transport. I wouldn't want to walk to the bus station each day, or get on and off shuttle buses. A disastrous move I think.
latest report
mountainmammoth wrote:
I'm sure there are few in the Snowheads community who think this is a good idea, perhaps if we're all of the same opinion we could use our combined might to help the Big3 to consider otherwise? If I knew how to set up an online petition, I would.

Well for what it's worth, I linked to this thread in my email to SkiBig3. So if anyone has any comments to make on the change in service, you could make it here and hope that our comments are read and noted.
snow conditions
fatbob, running buses to resorts from a central location would be disastrous - hundreds of people arriving at a resort within a few minutes of each other would knock on through the lift system for hours.
snow conditions
Banff is hardly the height of convenience now with a 45 minute trip to Lake Louise and 20 minutes (plus 20 minutes gondola) to Sunshine. I did the Club Ski last year and had to leave really early in the morning to get to each of those resorts. This would add at least another 30 minutes. If that were the case, much as I enjoyed my trip there, I don't think I'd bother again.
snow report
What an odd thing to do.

There's no problem with hiring a car, though; it's often little or nothing extra on top of a package, and driving around the area is easy and enjoyable.
latest report
Richmond

Quote:
There's no problem with hiring a car

not everyone can drive, it's nice to have a beer after the last run down, parking at Sunshine is a nightmare - lucky if you can park half a mile away unless you get there really early, you have to pay £60 fees to enter Banff National Park.....
latest report
If you can't drive, that would be a problem. If you all want to drink (much) before leaving the hill, again a problem; I preferred a quick beer and then into town, via the hotel. Parking at Sunshine isn't bad in my experience, and I'm far from an early starter. There's a drop off by the gondola, and if you can't face the less than 2/3 min walk to the far end of the car park, there's a tractor thing to take you.

Using a car has it's drawbacks, but overall it worked very well for us in Banff and elsewhere in N.America
ski holidays
But at the end of a day's skiing, I really wouldn't fancy driving for 40 mins (from LL) to get back to Banff. Especially when I can go to Big White and ski right to the door. It would be extra expense to have a car. And there'll be even more cars being parked at Sunshine if others also go down the route of car hiring. We just wouldn't go.
latest report
...and the last thing I want to do after a 9 hour flight (probably with no sleep if my past record is to go by) is sort out a car and drive the 60 miles (or whatever it is) from Calgary Airport. No thanks!
latest report
richmond,

I guess we have been at particularly busy times so saw the carpark at its worst. I won't drive at all after a beer so for me the question is what is more important, and for me the answer is a nice convenient bus. But we're all different (thankfully Smile )
snow conditions
Colin B,

Yes - I meant to make that comment but got carried away thinking about the beer Very Happy
ski holidays
holidayloverxx, I was there at New Year last year and it was very busy. In fact Sunshine had it's highest ever attendance on one of the days. Although I didn't take too much notice at the time the car park was very full, I believe cars were lining the approach road for some way back. Probably a lot better at quieter times.
snow report
Colin B,

Yes that's exactly how it was every time we've been there. One day we tried to measure it and we reckoned cars were on the approach road certainly over half a mile from the gondola, if not further away. This was in March
snow conditions
holidayloverxx, but you don't have to walk, cos you get on the tractor.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Helen Beaumont,

doh - I get it now.
snow report
cathy wrote:
But at the end of a day's skiing, I really wouldn't fancy driving for 40 mins (from LL) to get back to Banff. Especially when I can go to Big White and ski right to the door. It would be extra expense to have a car. And there'll be even more cars being parked at Sunshine if others also go down the route of car hiring. We just wouldn't go.

The drive from LL to Banff is lovely if you go on Hightway 1A, the old transcontinenetal. It's very quiet, so you can go as fast as you like, within reason. I quite like having a drive at the end of the day; I drive little normally, so I don't regard it as a chore, and I'm happy just to have one bottle of beer (if any) before getting changed. On the cost front, there are several TOs who either throw in car hire instead of a transfer or charge only a little more (well worth it to avoid the transfer, nevr mind the bus).

I entirley agree, though, that anything which encourages more people to join the ranks of the selfish sods like me who drive is daft.
ski holidays
I can't blame the ski area operators for insisting that the hotels pay their share for this service. After all, the whole town benefits from the efficient bus service that's currently provided.
They need to come to some agreement that will see this service continue otherwise they will ALL lose out. One pick up point would be rubbish.
I'd rather see them just charge for the bus ride instead!

I was looking at going back to Banff next year but I'll wait and see now.
snow report
I'm off to Banff in 12 days. If they stop the hotel pickup I won't be going back next year. I'll ask around when I'm there and let you all know.
ski holidays
We had planned to go to banff next year but i was always struggling with the thought of getting buses to the ski areas, but were prepared to do it, but if this change comes into force we won't even consider going there we will go elsewhere in canada. It seems like a lot of people will stop going and that's a shame.
snow report
Really, chaps, I wouldn't let it put you off too much, disappointing as it is (with a bit of luck it'll be a ploy to get the lift co to cough up more or to get hotels to chip in). I know that driving is un green, but if you can swallow that (and you can drive) car hire is not expensive and driving is easy, positively enjoyable in fact.
ski holidays
richmond, but with everyone else driving who would normally take the bus? Well, say half of them will drive. Or even a quarter. That's a lot of extra traffic and cars. If the bus service isn't the normal service we'll just go elsewhere. Like you though, I am sure it is an effort to put pressure on others to contribute towards the costs. I can't believe they'd actually go through with it.

harryok525, that'd be good if you can find out any local goss. I'm keeping half an eye on the Crag and Canyon.....
ski holidays
cathy, I agree that it'll be bad news for everyone.
snow conditions
From this earlier article in the Crag and Canyon, it seems like the ski areas are trying to get the hotels or Banff commercial sector to share the costs:

Ski Banff-Lake Louise-Sunshine General Manager says:
Quote:
“We’d like to work towards making the global transportation process work better in the long run,” he said. “At this time, the ski areas run this service, so with a broader partnership, anything is possible.”
ski holidays
cathy wrote:
Quote:
“We’d like to work towards making the global transportation process work better in the long run”

That's quite an undertaking. No wonder they're having to cut down on their own bus services.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 27-02-07 23:31; edited 1 time in total
snow report
richmond, Laughing Laughing got to start somewhere Very Happy
snow conditions
A GROUP OF ABOUT 20 GO TO BANFF EVERY YEAR, AND ALL HAVE SAID IT'LL BECOME NO GO ZONE FOR THEM. WHAT A SHAME SOME OF THE BEST SNOW I'VE EVER SKIED ON Crying or Very sad
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy