Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Where to stay in Schladming?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

I'm currently trying to round up people for a trip to Schladming in January. We're not sure whether to DIY or get a package yet, so we're open to suggestions. We don't really want to be too far out from the lifts and the town etc, but a short walk in is fine.
From what I can gather of Schaldiming, the Planai lift is the nearest to the town?

Does anyone have any reccomendations at all? It'll hopefully be a party of 6 20-somethings, budget is around £200pp if DIY - or about £500pp if a package deal. I've had a look on the planai.at website, but I'm lost looking through all those listed on there!

Cheers
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Check out flight prices before you do anything, we're doing a DIY trip end of Jan and the flights this year compared to last are substantially higher, almost to the point where a package deal looks tempting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scottland, I'm sure Waynos will be here any second to dispense his Schladders wisdom. He's got a place there. snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
FenlandSkier, exactly! At the moment, the only decent place flying Manchester-Salzburg is Thomson and is (for the dates I've interested in) about £150pp incl taxes etc - but that's if I book now. Which is why I'm considering a package deal this year, whereas in previous years I've gone DIY.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We did a long weekend DIY and stayed here http://www.talbach.at which was good, fairly basic but had everything you need for a B&B and under 10 mins walk to the Planai lift station. Was cheap DIY last year though those Ryanair prices are going up ... The Planai website is good for the property search which I think you can search in English. Another good site is www.Bergfex.com which is a good search engine for Austrian accomodation which gives lots of self catering or B&B options you can't get through the TOs.

Good luck!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Never been to Schladming but we are booked in for next January

We're going to the last week of January as its the Mens World Cup nightrace so cant wait for that!! Bode Miller, Benni Raich etc etc etc.

Should be real good fun as it'll be party week with over 50,000 coming into town on the TUesday night live bands in the town square and a great party atmosphere.

We're staying on a package tour with Crystal staying at the Hotel Kirchenwirt.

http://www.thenightrace.at/index.php?id=37&L=4

http://youtube.com/v/NeR6TGCD5po
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Thanks, we were looking at the deal with Crystal to Kirchenwirt too - what dates are you going, and what week is the nightrace on?

In terms of pricing, and busyness - is it worth avoiding the nightrace?
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Scottland, we have been in Schladming a couple of times for the nightrace and I would say far from being 'worth avoiding', it is worth making an effort to go to!

When we were there, it didn't seem to affect prices at all, but I guess it depends where you stay - I suppose some hotels will put prices up but we didn't see any of that happening. In terms of how busy it is, it didn't seem to make any difference to the slopes at all - most of the 50,000 guests just show up from neighbouring towns etc on the night of the race itself, I don't think the bulk of them are there for the week for a holiday. The night of the race itself is mad busy, but in a nice way, when we were there at least! Stands and stalls etc. are set up a day or two before the event itself and disappear pretty quickly afterwards.

Do it, it's good fun!

The bottom of the black down into town is closed before the race and opens up the next day for regular punters.

D
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cheers for that, I wouldn't mind seeing it actually - just didn't want all the prices to double or rooms to go early!

We're not sure whether to book early or wait for a deal, in your experience is it worth waiting or will the hotels fill up?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Deliaskis wrote:

The bottom of the black down into town is closed before the race and opens up the next day for regular punters.

But it will be icy for the next week after the race, due to the preparation t is given for racing on.

The one time I have been to Schladming, I arrived on the Saturday evenng, when the night slalom had been on the Friday, with a GS (or super-G) run during the day on Saturday.

The bottom part of that run was still pretty hard by the following Friday.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Scottland wrote:
Thanks, we were looking at the deal with Crystal to Kirchenwirt too - what dates are you going, and what week is the nightrace on?

In terms of pricing, and busyness - is it worth avoiding the nightrace?

We are flying out on saturday 25th and the nightrace is on the following Tuesday i think.

Here's a link to a thread that i posted a while ago with questions about the slopes being too busy etc. Hopefully any questions will be answered here for you. It should be a fun week.

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=925713&highlight=schladming#925713
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Try the Appatements Gradwohl email heinz.gradwohl@aon.at, tel, 0043 664 3806472. Decent apartments,spacious and clean and reasonable prices. The apartments are on the edge of the main square abot 100 m from the main planai lift, stayed there last March. Schladming is a good resort,loads of bars and places to eat all fairly cheap (similar to uk prices) local schladminger beer is excellent! The place has an upmarket feel to it without upmarket prices. Decent ski area as well.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks all, no_snow_in_swindon I'm actually hoping to go the same week.

Jan can't come quick enough! Very Happy
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Just make sure to check the flight prices, there might be some changes. Smile
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Scottland wrote:
Thanks all, no_snow_in_swindon I'm actually hoping to go the same week.

Jan can't come quick enough! Very Happy

May well see you in The Kirchenwirt then!!! snowHead
latest report
I've been looking around at self catering apartments, and it works out about £100-£120 cheaper than a package (incl flights and transfers). One of the things that annoyed me last year in ValT was the price in supermarkets compared to the smaller French resorts I've been to before.

What's the cost of food & drink like in supermarkets, and also the cost of meals in restaurants for the days when I cba cooking? Very Happy
snow report
Scottland, the great thing about Schladming is that it is actually a town where 'real' Austrians live and work, as well as a ski resort, so consequently supermarket prices are normal.

In terms of eating out, you can have for example pizza and a salad and wine for less than E20 per person, local dishes for about the same, and more upmarket meat and fish meals for up to about E30 for two to three courses and wine. There is also takeaway pizza and a chicken rotisserie where you can buy whole chickens and bags of chips for about £12 for 4 people.

In town there is a range of restaurants, including normal Austrian type cuisine, italian, tex-mex, chinese, and a fab steak restaurant called the Talbachschenke. So something for everyone.

Compared with normal resort prices, Schladming is pretty good value.

D
snow conditions
Deliaskis wrote:
Scottland, the great thing about Schladming is that it is actually a town where 'real' Austrians live and work, as well as a ski resort, so consequently supermarket prices are normal.

In terms of eating out, you can have for example pizza and a salad and wine for less than E20 per person, local dishes for about the same, and more upmarket meat and fish meals for up to about E30 for two to three courses and wine. There is also takeaway pizza and a chicken rotisserie where you can buy whole chickens and bags of chips for about £12 for 4 people.

In town there is a range of restaurants, including normal Austrian type cuisine, italian, tex-mex, chinese, and a fab steak restaurant called the Talbachschenke. So something for everyone.

Compared with normal resort prices, Schladming is pretty good value.

D

Thats good to know, I've seen a few writeups mention that the prices in the resort are fairly normal which is definately a plus from last year - it's good to get a bit of reassurance!
snow conditions
As far as supermarkets go the cheapest by far is Hofer on the edge of town (near the first exit of the main road as you come in from Salzburg, so heading east). I think Hofer is another name for Aldi. An don't forget to look out for "Hofer's Offers".
snow report
Scottland, glad you're reassured, it's very different from somewhere like Val T which is just a resort, and has a very captive market given the difficulty and cost of getting down the road to a big town, - f Schladming's supermarkets were expensive, all the locals would just shop 5 minutes away in Radstadt!
snow report
Aldi will do us just fine, which makes DIY the preffered option I think, based on cost and flexibility as we can try to book an apartment to fit in with when flights are cheapest.

Thanks again
snow conditions
Has anyone any experience with the schladming-apartments.at website? I've seen a few apartments on there that would suit, but the majority of the website is in German, and I am a little rusty to say the least.

I think I can navigate my way to request a booking, but I'm wonding if I might get some help from them if I email in first?
ski holidays
Scottland, I haven't used the website as a customer, but have spoken to them a few times when we were thinking of buying there and asking them to manage for us, and they seemed to be very friendly/helpful and most can speak English, so I would try emailing them.

D
ski holidays
Thanks (again) Smile

I'll send them a polite email asking for some assistance then, it's now looking like there's going to be 7-8 of us. There seems to be fewer apartments that will sleep 8, so I think we're going to book fairly soon.
snow report
Scottland,

did you ever end up book Schladming?
snow report
No, we ended up changing our minds and going to Saalbach instead for a variety of reasons Smile
ski holidays
When in Schladming I prefer staying at Rohrmoos. At least 10 reliable appartments can be found overthere.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy