Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Girl killed whilst toboganning

Poster: A snowHead
I'm surprised the news of the girl killed whilst toboganning - I believe on a land rover bonnet hasn't made it onto Snowheads anywhere yet (at least I can't find a thread anywhere). You have to feel for the families involved, and I wonder if it will result in by laws banning toboganning from hills to prevent possible litigation in the future. Be a shame if it did.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Ban Land Rovers.

(I posted a link to it on a thread about sledging somewhere, after mentioning that me and my mates once went sledging on a car bonnet).
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
paulio, I bet you didn't head for a barbed wire fence!! Shocked

Megamum, It is a tragic accident, but I hope one terrible accident doesn't spoil it for everyone. Sad
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Avago, Mum read in the paper that they could have been going at nearly 60mph - imagine hitting barbed wire at that speed - it would nearly have decapitated them - apparently there was a river beyond too.

The trouble is it could cause laws to be made. My local town had something like a salt water lido that I learned to swim in as a child and had been swum in for over 100 years. It took one fatal accident a few years ago and the council closed it for swimming and turned it into a duck lake and fountain. Crying or Very sad
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Megamum wrote:
The trouble is it could cause laws to be made. My local town had something like a salt water lido that I learned to swim in as a child and had been swum in for over 100 years. It took one fatal accident a few years ago and the council closed it for swimming and turned it into a duck lake and fountain. Crying or Very sad

Trouble is that given enough time and stupidity someone will injure themselves on just about everything.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Very sad - people all over the country had such fun fooling around in the snow. The speed, and lack of control, of tobogganing on bits and pieces of stuff can take people by surprise. My son - an expert skier who is (fingers crossed) now surviving his third season in the Alps had his only significant injury (a very badly smashed ankle, needing lots of ironmongery inserted by Austrian surgeon) toboganning in Alpbach. We used to take guests toboganning but now I just stick to taking the thrill-seekers down black runs and the boarder cross; far safer.

One problem is that this one tragic death has hit all the headlines. Teenagers - especially boys - are routinely killed in significant numbers on the roads, but nobody notices. It would be far more justifiable to stop under 18s driving after 9pm than to stop them toboganning.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tragic, and all over the local news here, as only down the road at Rother Valley Country Park - run round it many times.
The "hill" it happened on was, I believe, formally used as a slope for grass sking.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Helmets to be made compulsory for all winter sports in the UK. HSE to issue green sticky tape to wrap around hazardous toboggans. rolling eyes

Sorry to make light but how strange when discussions on helmets are flying around on snowHead s and elsewhere . A tragic accident, sympathies to the family Sad
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Very sad indeed.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Megamum, I'm not sure that laws would make much difference. The area, which as Jerry says, used to be a grass ski slope wasn't open access, there was a fence and a gate. The girls were just doing what everyone else was doing on Tuesday, which was being out and enjoying the snow. Unfortunately Fran didn't make it home, and several of her friends are still in hospital. A bit of fun turned into a day that will stay with them forever, for all the wrong reasons.

I just hope that the other girls involved are able to make a full recovery and eventually come to terms with what has happened. A very, very sad event. Sad
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Megamum, laws don't get made as a result of one accident. Tragic as this is, especially so for those left to remember the day, people die every day doing things that all of us do as routine. People also die as a result of ski accidents, though I don't think there's any legislation to prevent that.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Megamum wrote:
Avago, Mum read in the paper that they could have been going at nearly 60mph

Newspapers just make stuff up. A kid broke his leg on our local dryslope and the paper said he crashed at over 50 mph. We reckon it was 20 mph tops. So I'd take whatever they said in the paper with a pinch of salt. Tragic outcome though, whatever speed she was doing
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I wonder how many kids were not killed or seriously injured that day as a result of the massive reduction in car traffic caused by the same snow?

Terrible shame about the girl though, but would also be a terrible shame if the authorities over react
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Terrible shame indeed.

I note 15000 people had allegedly contacted the authorities to report snowball fights.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
How are authorities going to enforce any legislation? With the police forces that are clearly able to get around much more easily on unploughed roads?

Community Sledging Officers?

Tragic but hard to legislate against kids and young adults doing stupid things. we've all done them - guess some of us were luckier than others.
ski holidays
Latchigo, Snowball fights being reported!!! UK gone mad I think - what is snow without a snowball fight?
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy