Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Park City: The Greatest Snow - Sorry, RIP OFF - On Earth?

Poster: A snowHead
Off to Park City in 4 weeks and just clicked excitedly on the following restaurant guide & the mouth watering menus it contains....

http://www.dininginutah.com/parkcity.htm

Having been to the US quite a few times I am completely stunned and have gone into shock over the prices Shocked Shocked - I have just never seen the like over there. I almost wish I was going to an economy resort like Courchevell!!

What the Hell's going on in Park City?? I could understand it if it was Aspen - but this has come as a bit of a blow to say the least.... 10-15 dollars not uncommon for starters, 25-40 dollars routine for main courses and wine a mind boggling 25-30 dollars - for a HALF bottle.

Help! Do any snowHead know any cheap places or soup kitchens? Or is it Taco Bell here we come..... Sad
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
All you can eat tortillas for $9.99 is the way to go Twisted Evil
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
This place right in the middle of downtown SLC is very good and very reasonably-priced but it does not stay open very late :-

http://lambsgrill.com/
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Scarpa Tortillas @ $9.99 - a bit more like it!! Where, where???!!! A wind up no doubt??

Since my original post I am wondering (hoping??) if the restaurants on the guide are just the posh/expensive ones??...

Latchigo - Ta - but we're staying in Park City.... Puzzled
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It's maybe 4 years since we've been in Park City but I don't recall food prices being out of line for resort villages. There are some high end restaurants in PC but there are also many more moderately priced places. One that I recall was the No Name Saloon on main street. We had great buffalo burgers and thought the prices were very reasonable. Liked it enough to return. We like the Wasatch Brew Pub for drinks after skiing; thought the food was good pub grub (not special but solid). I also recall eating at a Mexican Place, I think the name was Natcho Mama's. I recall it being good (not outstanding) American style (e.g., not authentic) Mexican. Don't recall it being especially expensive. I also recall eating at Chimayo (SP?). It was billed as an upscale Southwestern motif. Didn't think it was a good value. You might ask for restaurant recommendations on www.epicski.com. No doubt lots of folks have much better insight than I.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
mountainaddict, sounds like that was a guide to the posh places. But you could certainly pay more than that in Courchevel if you chose to!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
mountainaddict, it's by not paying to advertise in expensive restaurant guides that cheap places manage to keep their prices down. Laughing
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Can't remember PC being that expensive when we were there 5 years ago. It has lots of flash places, but suspect its similar to Aspen where we went last year - it's still possible to get a pizza or chilli for $10 and nice 3 course meal for $30 if you hunt around.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
pam w, Plake, Lizzard, RISkier

Thank you all! I am greatly heartened by these marvellous postings & the fact that my Visa card will not now apparently be taken to the max - buffalo burgers, pizza, nachos..... bring it on!!

PS: It's (finally) starting to dump snow in Utah - there is an Ullr Very Happy !!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
In 4 weeks it's the Sundance Film Festival. Expect Hollywood prices.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mountainaddict, I agree with the previous few posters - we were there 2 years ago and there are places to eat reasonably (well, relatively - it is a ski resort after all) if you want to avoid the pricey restaurants.

I gather that Sundance means empty slopes but busy restaurants, it's on Jan 15-19 this season apparently.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
mountainaddict, I have, in PC, eaten excellent cheap food and excellent uber expensive food. Just requires enough intelligence to check the menu before eating...or entering...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skied PC plenty of times and its a great town. The above are right in saying avoid Sundance - all the locals do!! Doolans sports bar at the bottom of Main St. is very good and reasonably priced for typical American fare. No Name Saloon good but gets very busy. On the mountain - Mid Mountain Lodge is cafeteria style but good portions and quick service. And at the end of a ski day The Pig Pen near the Ice Rink is were the mountain staff hang out. Also the Mexican place ( cant remember its name) near Legacy Lodge is good but again is very popular and gets busy.
Take the free bus to Deer Valley and ski Empire Canyon - it really is "the greatest snow on earth"

Have a great trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hope you have a great time, but if you decide to head back to Utah in the future, skip Park City and go ride in the Cottonwood Canyons or north of SLC in Snowbasin and Powder Mt. (Ogden). PC is overpriced and gives off a vibe of pretention that is quite annoying considering the terrain is tame compared to its neighbors in the Wasatch. As for the film festival rolling through town, that's the best time to be in PC, so on that level, it will be lively and entertaining with live music and parties everywhere.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:

The above are right in saying avoid Sundance

We've managed to partly avoid it!! We're there from the 10th to 17th (ie meals out on 11th-16th). Hotel did us the whole week at normal price instead of upping the price for the festival as per their price list, so at least that was something. As long as we can find food on the festival nights we'll be happy!! We've been nearly stuck before - once arrived starving in Canmore on New Year's Eve - either turned away or offered 11pm dining.....Domino's takeaway pizza to the rescue Laughing .

Quote:

Take the free bus to Deer Valley and ski Empire Canyon - it really is "the greatest snow on earth." Have a great trip.

Plan is 2 days at each of Deer Valley, Park City & the Canyons.....

Quote:

skip Park City and go ride in the Cottonwood Canyons

Also doing 2 nights/3 days ski at Alta/Snowbird Very Happy .
ski holidays
Hi Mountainaddict
just back from Park City.
wrt food - we're suffering from the dollar/pound conversion, but you _can_ find cheap eats if you hunt.
Wasatch brew pub was good value, Mustang was not bad (not 'fine dining'), the seafood buffet at Deer Valley was _excellent_ (not cheap) - for cheap pizza, there are two branches of Damanza (think that's how it's spelt), one on main street, one out at Kimball junction.

wrt to destinations - we found Deer Valley rather nice (especially as my SO isn't keen on snowboarders)... having said that, we also loved Canyons (there's a LOT of terrain there, especially on the 'left' side of the map (dreamcatcher etc) where there ain' many people.... and not many lodges either).

Park City we thought least of... tho' tha may be cos we went there when there wasn't as much snow (i.e. before the 2 or so feet we got last week).

Oh, and if you're flying Northwest, and your luggage gets lost (a not unusual occurrence when the weather is bad), make sure you get your 'lost baggage 10 digit code', don't let the baggage clerk fob you off with an 'i'll log your details later'.... long story short!

most restaurants happy to take reservations, and a few good eateries out at Kimball junction if Main Street is too busy.
pm if you want more/specific info.
h.
p.s. the powder _is_ awesome.... and unless you're a snob or a local, having 3 resorts all on a free bus service is more than enough for a week....
snow report
Cheers hamilton!
Quote:

and a few good eateries out at Kimball junction if Main Street is too busy.

How far is Kimball Junction? Is it a town or just a shopping mall/retail outlet?

Can't wait to get there now after all the snow. Yes we are travelling KLM/Northwest Shocked - who have made a good job of losing our luggage on 3 occasions in the past.....skis in Europe, skis in Canada and they once sent a bag to Switzerland for over a week when we were mountain biking in the USA (Utah as it happens). Mrs MA had to buy replacement everything for the trip as the bag wasn't delivered to us until our last night. I am touching wood even as I type......
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy