Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Nobody carves in Val D'Isere

Poster: A snowHead
I spent a week in Val D'Isere before Christmas. Last year, from the chair lift, you would see a lot of people carving turns with various degrees of success. This year, nobody was carving. It was like a step back in time: parallel, parallel, parallel. All the ski school teachers skied parallel also. In a week of observing hundreds I probably only saw two attempting carving.
Has there been a style shift that I don't know about? Have I accidentally stepped into a time machine? Will they have gone back to wooden skis the next time I go?
Mick
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Clearly it is time for a thread on "if two skis are carving can they be parallel?" - any volunteers ? Laughing
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
penster, There was lots of soft snow, and poor visibility that week.. not great conditions for carving.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Ooops! Anyone care to explain the difference for people like me who think a turn is a turn and have no idea which type they do...? Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
queen bodecia, there are three ways to steer your skis: you can twist or rotate them (by twisting your feet/legs); you can use the edges of the skis to carve a turn (by putting them on edge); or you can put pressure on the skis to force them into an arc. Most turns are a blend of two or three of these steering methods.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Carving = stand like a stunned gorilla and pretend you're racing
Parallel = stand like John Inman and pretend that you've got an itchy bum.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
rob@rar, deftly done sir wink Laughing

Just picking an image at random, take a peek at the final pic in this sequence http://www.ronlemaster.com/images/2006-2007/slides/schld-aspen-2006-sl-2.html

Don't know about you, but that's parallel enough for me, and dare I suggest that a modicum of carving might be taking place Puzzled

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 30-12-08 18:48; edited 2 times in total
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was in the valley a week or so before xmas and there was so much good snow to be found you didn't go on the pistes....

The Sache was great..even though it was not officially open...but why ruin that run like that anyway... lots of high line traverses into nice big faces off the Peclet, or Arriere Capanules, Merles, ,... or the val Perdue, etc etc...you don't have to look hard...

Who'd want to be carving..??
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
depends what you mean by carving Madeye-Smiley
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
JT, Me too. Still soft snow to be found in the middle of last week wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
rob@rar, thanks, that kinda makes sense although I still have no idea which I do. Let's just say I'm not a technical skier... Very Happy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
queen bodecia wrote:
rob@rar, thanks, that kinda makes sense although I still have no idea which I do. Let's just say I'm not a technical skier... Very Happy

It's almost certain that you will blend all three methods when you turn, with more twisting of the skis than edging or pressure. A good instructor would help you to more carefully manage the way you steer your skis so you can choose how to turn depending on the snow conditions, terrain and what you want to do. How the instructor does this should very with your learning style - I prefer to have a good technical understanding of what I'm trying to do, but other people will like drills, or prefer to copy what the instructor does, etc. A good instructor is the key to moving forward with your skiing...
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cunners, Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
penster wrote:
I spent a week in Val D'Isere before Christmas. Last year, from the chair lift, you would see a lot of people carving turns with various degrees of success. This year, nobody was carving. It was like a step back in time: parallel, parallel, parallel.

How can you carve without being parallel? Do you mean skid?
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
eng_ch wrote:
penster wrote:
I spent a week in Val D'Isere before Christmas. Last year, from the chair lift, you would see a lot of people carving turns with various degrees of success. This year, nobody was carving. It was like a step back in time: parallel, parallel, parallel.

How can you carve without being parallel? Do you mean skid?
don't think you can! But don't take my word for it! The more I read these technique threads the less adequate I feel!
ski holidays
Must admit we were spoilt with the snow and the numbers in Espace Killy...don't think I could go there again and luck out so much.

Must admit the fast reds and blues were a blast too 1st thing in the morning so there was a bit of time to work on the cross-over..which defines a carve, IMV... wink Laughing
snow report
Does it actually matter? Just playing devils advocate but isn't there a time to carve and a time to skid?, you adapt to the conditions, sometimes I can't be bothered to carve I don't think it makes me any worse a skier, I think some peeps can get a bit hung up on the carve thing..... Smile
snow report
JT wrote:
I was in the valley a week or so before xmas ...
JT wrote:
Must admit we were spoilt with the snow and the numbers in Espace Killy...don't think I could go there again and luck out so much.
I have skied the week before Christmas in Val d'Isere for the last several years. It is always quiet on the slopes. My latest (Dec 2008) trip was different because so much of the area was open and had good snow, so perhaps the few people were spread more thinly. Generally I think it is a good week to ski as the prices are low-season and the crowds are absent. But the snow cover is variable.
ski holidays
Quote:

How can you carve without being parallel?

easy enough in a snowplough, but only one ski will be carving at a time. In fact since I clearly do not understand what the word parallel means I have decided to only use one ski from now on, so that there will be no confusion in my mind. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
queen bodecia, rob@rar, Well when I was in VT before Christmas I am assured by BMF_Skier that the instructor was teaching me to carve. Was I aware that I was carving (i.e. getting the skis onto their edges at the same time and letting the shape of the ski carry me round the curve)? No, I have to say I wasn't - it just felt like being taught to make an S shaped turn, now whether the skis were 'carving' as a result of this I don't know. We were doing a routine of sinking down as we traversed the slope standing quickly so the skis faced downhill, and then sinking again with the weight on the new downhill ski to power out of the turn. I haven't a clue if this results in the skis carving or not. What I do know is I suddenly started to rocket down Plein Sud rather faster than I think I had ever done before!! Shocked
snow report
Megamum, what I see around the mountain is that the majority of skiers blend different steering styles and very few do a pure carve from start to finish. It's quite a high order skill, and the speed dramtically increases, even on the most gentle of slopes. If you were purely carving down Plein Sud I'd guess you wouldn't be entirely comfortable with the speed you reached (I know I'm not).
ski holidays
rob@rar, I suspect (LOL) that I fell into the stable of not getting the pure carve from start to finish!!. Though there may have been the odd occasions when I got there. I have experimented on less steep slopes in VT since being told that on at least one occasion I popped in a purely carved turn by accident (I didn't know I'd done it until I was told so by Masque, but the turn had felt brilliant) and if I am comfortable I do experiment with rocking the skis over at the same time and occasionally I know I've got there, but the same realisation didn't happen during the lesson even though I may still have succeeded every now and then. However, the increase in speed was def. there (though perhaps not as much as pure carving) so maybe I had been carving to some degree Very Happy

Mind you some of the speed could have been coming from the skis I was on - I had a set of Rossignol World cup RX Oversize race skis (160cm) brand spanking new - I was the first to take them on the slope Toofy Grin

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Tue 30-12-08 19:21; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Megamum, starting a turn in a carve is the most tricky bit, most people will skid the start of their turns then lock onto their edges towards then end of the turn (this is probably a good thing to do on most slopes as it keeps the speed to a sensible level). Although you wouldn't want to do pure carved turns for much of your skiing, the edge control and timing control that you must develop to be able to carve are great skills to have available to you in all sorts of situations, on and off piste. You are clearly working your way to developing those skills, so good for you!
snow report
rob@rar, thank you! I have several things to work on this year - the upper/lower body separation, facing more consistently down the slope, working on those S turns of various diameters and controlling the rotation of my uphill shoulder which I have a nasty tendancy to try and use to swing myself round the turn with - esp. if I'm think of controlling something else at the same time LOL. However, compared with my goals at the start of last year it actually feels like I'm starting to ski if I'm now worrying about those sorts of niceties Very Happy
latest report
rob@rar,
Quote:

very few do a pure carve from start to finish. It's quite a high order skill, and the speed dramtically increases, even on the most gentle of slopes.

Thank you for that extremely useful piece of information. I shall now abandon my quest for the pure carved turn - the last thing I want to do, most of the time, is ski any more quickly! Shocked
snow conditions
Megamum, that's a brilliant list of things to work on, especially varying turn diameters and your shoulder rotation from what I can remember of the videos you posted. Once (not 'if') you get those cracked the mountain will be yours for the taking Smile
ski holidays
Hurtle, I can carve a decent turn from start to finish on blues and gentle reds, although I don't often do it. What I did find is that the timing and sensitivity needed to initiate a good carved turn was invaluable in helping me initiate turns in powder snow. I was failing to carve a decent turn for exactly the same reason as I was struggling in powder: I was rushing the turn initiation. Fixing the carved turns fixed the powder problems Smile
latest report
rob@rar, bother. So I need this skill in powder? Back to the drawing board, then. Sigh.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hurtle wrote:
rob@rar, bother. So I need this skill in powder? Back to the drawing board, then. Sigh.

I see the same problem (rushing the turn) that I had (well, still have but not quite so bad) in other people all the time. Sorting that problem out is a big step in skiing all the mountain, IMO. You can fix the problem on piste or off piste, it doesn't really matter. But I think once you have cracked it you will be able to use that skill in a range of different situations, from skiing gates to bottomless powder. It's the reason why I say learning to carve is good for off-piste skiing Smile
snow report
Hurtle, semantic point here: you don't need the skill, you need the timing and sensitivity (and patience) that the skill demands.
snow conditions
comprex, ah, in skiing as in life. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Yoda wrote:
rob@rar, deftly done sir wink Laughing

Just picking an image at random, take a peek at the final pic in this sequence http://www.ronlemaster.com/images/2006-2007/slides/schld-aspen-2006-sl-2.html

Yoda, silly Jedi, that is NOT Val d'Isere. Madeye-Smiley

BTW, nice summary rob@rar.
snow conditions
I'm pretty sure I don't 'carve' as such. It was all different when I learned to ski in 1977. Snigger... Very Happy
snow report
Yoda wrote:
Quote:

How can you carve without being parallel?

easy enough in a snowplough, but only one ski will be carving at a time. In fact since I clearly do not understand what the word parallel means I have decided to only use one ski from now on, so that there will be no confusion in my mind. Toofy Grin

Yoda, is your monoski as old as you are? Wink Laughing
snow conditions
rob@rar wrote:
Hurtle, I can carve a decent turn from start to finish on blues and gentle reds, although I don't often do it.

It's often too busy anyway

Quote:
What I did find is that the timing and sensitivity needed to initiate a good carved turn was invaluable in helping me initiate turns in powder snow. I was failing to carve a decent turn for exactly the same reason as I was struggling in powder: I was rushing the turn initiation. Fixing the carved turns fixed the powder problems Smile

Or indeed the other way round. Having got the hang of not rushing turns in powder last season, I find myself seeking it out now to remind myself not to rush them on piste. When nerves or unfamiliarity set in, the first thing I do is rush the turn initiation which is a recipe for disaster of course
latest report
eng_ch wrote:
Or indeed the other way round.

Yes, it works in both ways although I think for the majority of people learning new things is easier on piste because they don't have the psychological problem of seeing their feet disappear into the snow. For the majority of people this is a trigger to get in the back seat, making everything more difficult. Once you get a feeling for the pace and rhythm of the turn it's time to head for deep snow.
ski holidays
rob@rar wrote:
eng_ch wrote:
Or indeed the other way round.

Yes, it works in both ways although I think for the majority of people learning new things is easier on piste because they don't have the psychological problem of seeing their feet disappear into the snow. ..

Ahh, chronic looking too close.

Tape over the bottom of their goggles.

(Worked for me in bumps, taped the other way, to get my head up. At ssh's instigation Laughing ).
snow report
comprex, Laughing a novel approach!
snow conditions
comprex, aha - so it's in Val d'Isere that they employ a deliberate divergence in order to ensure that when carving their skis cannot be parallel Puzzled
latest report
Quote:

I can carve a decent turn from start to finish on blues and gentle reds, although I don't often do it. What I did find is that the timing and sensitivity needed to initiate a good carved turn was invaluable in helping me initiate turns in powder snow. I was failing to carve a decent turn for exactly the same reason as I was struggling in powder: I was rushing the turn initiation. Fixing the carved turns fixed the powder problems

It was the exact same for me
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy