Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Kronplatz Resort Report Feedback Thread

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a feedback thread for nick0861's resort report:

Kronplatz (February 2008)

Feel free to add, comment, or write your own report...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went Xmas 2007/8 with Neilson and stayed at the Hotel Petrus in Riscone - there are quite a few hotels and pensions at the bottom of the mountain. No snow in the village but snow cannons kept the runs going. I found the lack of English speakers an issue - the ski school for example was hopeless - nice enough guys but no English despite being told we would have an English speaking instructor and I prefer an orderly queue in a mountain resturant rather than a casual free for all but maybe that's Italy?! We usually go to Austria and it just didnt feel as welcoming. Only a few bars for apres ski actually on the slopes. We wouldnt go again although the hotel was fabulous and made it for us. The gondola system was fantastic - even on the nursery slope!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The Resort: Kronplatz
Domain: Dolomites/South Tyrol
Author: Blastfromthepast
Dates: 1 January 2012

Basics:
We flew to Verona and hired a car. Journey took 2 hrs 20 there but traffic was awful on the way back (a Sunday) both getting from Brunico to the motorway, and on the motorway south to Verona. No obvious reason just weight of traffic. Managed without winter tyres through the hire company’s incompetence.

Lift system:
One slow chair, the rest fast chairs and gondolas. Despite the resort being busy, very few queues
The terrain:
Enough for a week. Long runs of all grades a speciality. New Reid red run 7km a challenge in low cloud, Mostly tree lined and generously wide.

The snow:
Plenty for piste skiing. Area seemed to have done better than the Dolomites generally and we had 25cm of top up whilst we were there. The snow making facilities are impressive and cover 100% of the pistes.

Off-piste:
Not on my agenda –clearly some options though

The resort:
Stayed in St Vigilio, one of the villages surrounding the Dome shaped Kronplatz mountain. Very pretty Tyrolean style buildings. Most practical things you need available. Due to family, did not really sample the après ski

The food:
Food in the hotel sensational. Food on the mountain typical Austrian mountain hut fair augmented with pasta and pizza. Huts we used were largely self service. Found one waitress service place towards the bottom of the Gassl run which was good,

Accommodation:
Stayed at the Almhof Call. Great quality family suite and facilities. Hotel food second to none and service informally impeccable. 10 minute walk to the slopes (Miara) or 3 stops on the ski bus

Costs:
about average on the mountain - €25 for a meal for two on the slopes. Hotel great value if you avoid the peak weeks. Ski pass and equipment prices average. Private lessons for our youngest €44 per hour

Conclusion:
A great holiday. The 2km Miara run was ideal to develop our 5 year old’s confidence. He was zipping around all over the place by the end of the week. If 110km of piste is too restrictive, the Sella Ronda is accessible fairly easily via a gondola, a steep black (or gondola down) and a bus, from the San Vigilio side. We hired a ski locker at the base of Miara (in the ski shop) which was €15 very well spent. Pistes were very busy –the first week of the year is a national holiday in Italy apparently. Slopes much quieter the Saturday and Sunday we left and more pleasant for it –this is the one thing we would change if we returned (choose a quieter week), which we will, probably next year. Very few English around –not sure why the place hasn’t caught on in the UK.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Blastfromthepast, Thanks. It is rather unknown here but is on my radar for some Italian road trip.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Interesting Blastfromthepast, Have often thought of visiting there. From what I've read, German rather than Italian is the main language spoken there. Was that your experience and do they have Austrian style apres?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
In St Vigilio village they seemed to speak mainly Italian. Elsewhere and all over the mountain mainly German. Most outlets seemed happy in either and in English.In fact the native language is Ladin -nothing like either German or Italian. So road signs tended to be in 3 languages....good place to be a sign writer.

With the family in tow, did not do much (any) Apres. Sense that the hut at the bottom of Miara would the place to go in St V.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
CheersBlastfromthepast,
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Blastfromthepast, We are headed to Kronplatz at the end of Feb so thanks for the report. I'd better brush up on some German! Did you get over into the Sella Ronda? If so, how long did it take to get there? Our hotel runs a shuttle into Alta Badia and apparently we can get into the SR from there.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kitty wrote:
Blastfromthepast, We are headed to Kronplatz at the end of Feb so thanks for the report. I'd better brush up on some German! Did you get over into the Sella Ronda? If so, how long did it take to get there? Our hotel runs a shuttle into Alta Badia and apparently we can get into the SR from there.

We are staying in San Martino in Badia mid February. The link to the Sella Ronda is via Pedraces ( road transport from our Hotel I am told ) to La Villa by ski lifts. When we get back I will let you know how long it took etc.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Kitty, Sorry we did not try the Sella Ronda. The few English people we came across in Kronplatz seemed to be staying in the Mountainsun Chalet in San Martino so hopefully if they are reading the forum they will enlighten you !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
There's a fantastic 3D interactive map of the Dolomites ski area, including Kronplatz and the SR, on the dolomiti website which will give you a good idea of connections between the two areas. Id cut and paste the link but it doesn't seem to work on my phone
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Kitty wrote:

You'll need to get the free shuttle from Kronplatz up to Alta Badia, near La Villa, you can then lift up onto the Prolongia to drop onto the Selle Ronda at Covara - its not as complex as it sounds Smile

The Selle should be on every skier's 'bucket-list', and the Gran Rissa dropping back into La Villa is a great route.

Skied at Kronplatz and was a little under-whelmed, maybe its because the wider Dolomiti is such a huge and wonderful area to ski. snowHead
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Just back from a few days at Kronplatz.

We stayed in Bruneck, a lovely town with a castle and medieval centre. Our hotel The Corso was exellent. Bruneck is very much a working town rather than a ski resort. It is almost entirely German speaking and feels more Austria than Italy.

Our hotel supplied a shuttle service to the slopes at Reischach, 3km away from where there are 2 efficient gondolas going up to the Kronplatz summit. A public bus also goes there every 30 mins or so.

The skiing on Kronplatz was pleasant. Nice wide runs and the newish red Reid down to Percha was a highlight. Because many of the runs radiate from the summit you don't though get the sense of travelling around that you do in say the Selva area and gor a change we spent one of our days over in the Badia, a 20 min ride on the free skibus that goes from one side of the resort. Apart from in Corvara we didn't come across any other Brits all the time we were there. Kronplatz should be better known here.

Good Austrian style après ski at Reischach in the Giggeralm and the openair K1. Mojito bar in Bruneck was good for a drink later on. Hardimitzin was a great place for an evening meal.

Some nice huts lower down the mountain and eating out was very good value.

I'd go back but probably for a few days rather than a week.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy