Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Boots lean too far forward.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
A few years ego I went to a supposedly good bootfitter in Park City and purchased new Head Free Ride boots. I complained to him that because of the odd curve of my shins, they forced me too far forward, and I was off balance. He convinced me that it should be that far forward and I should become a more advanced skier. After one run I was back visiting the bootfitter. He modified the boots as much as possible so they are not so far forward. They are still too far forward, and I'm off balance. Ever since, my quads catch fire on the first run, and I can not ski for more than a few runs. I used to ski just fine, expert level with my old boots.

Can anyone recommend a boot for my forward curved shins? If my quads are on fire immediately, is that not a sign that I'm off balance and need a different boot??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Welcome to snowheads. No boot expert i'm afraid but I've suffered from leaning too far forward. When I learnt I was told "lean forward" so that's what I did, to the extreme. Many years down the line i still to some degree lean or rely on the boot too much. One exercise that really showed it up for me was skiing with the boots undone, as in completely undone so there's no forward support. For me this was very hard as I was centered on the feet so the loss of the boot support threw me. Anyway I spent quite a bit of skiing time with the boot undone which has helped me get much more centered. If you're trying this obviously make sure you're on very easy terrain. Sorry if barking up wrong tree, but good luck getting the boots sorted.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
DannyF, It may not be just the boot but how it is aligned to your unique physiology. where are you located? If in the UK go make an appointment with Alpine mccanix, he does alignement and balance and should be able to sort you out. http://www.mccannix.com/
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
This may sound like it could add to the problem, but as always a heel lift will help reduce the net forward lean.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm no boot expert, but could it be that the boots are too stiff rather than too forward, so you're unable to flext them? Not sure I've ever seen someone who's ankles are too flexed throughout the turn, more common is not being able to move enough.

Maybe someone more knowledgeable than me will comment!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
DannyF, it could also be that the sole of your boot is too high at the rear due to the construction of your skis and bindings and perhaps a toe shim would help level you out. THis is known as Delta Angle and can have a big impact on your balance.

again i would seek professional help and the only guy i know of in the UK that can do this is Andi at Alpine Mccannix....
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DannyF,

there are a few things that can be done

1 a heel lift as SMALLZOOKEEPER has said may solve the problem very quickly
2 lifting the toes of either the boot or the binding will bring the shaft of the boot more upright giving you a different start point andi at alpine McCannix does these assessments at my office, i can do this if none of the dates he is available suit
3 what is the circumference of your calf at the top of the boot anything over 14" will pitch you too far forward if this is the case then stretching the cuff of the boot backwards will allow you to stand up and relax the leg...this can make a massive difference [speaking as someone in ahead boot with a big calf!!]
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thank you all very much. I am in the US, however, I'm warm to the idea of a holiday to the UK to see a real bootfitter. The information has been very helpful and I appreciate it.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DannyF, where are you located?
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy