Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chamonix do you need a car?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello All

I am just sorting out transport for my week in Cham over Christmas, there is going to be 2 of us going, I was planning on hiring a car, but a friend of mine suggested that a transfer would be better

Obvioulsy its a cost V hassle thing with the transfer 20E each way and the car coming in at £260 using holiday auto's

I am staying about 10 mins walk out of the centre of town but right next to the railway and a bus stop.

My biggest worry is the Q in the morning and at the end of the day for the busses to and from the slope

as I have never been to cham before I am looking for some info, if having a car will save a lot of time and hassle then I will go for it, but if people thing that you don't need one for cham then I might as well spend the money on over priced drinks and apre

What do you think??
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've been twice and used the buses both times - it's ok but next time I'm hiring a car for convenience.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I would spend the money on booze if I were you - I've been a few times in the last couple of years and found the busses to be fine.

If you're planning on going between the different areas in the same day or heading out to Courmayeur for a day then a car would be handy, but if it's just within the main areas and keeping to one per day then you should be fine with the free bus up and down the valley.

However, I have never been at xmas so can't comment on how busy they will be then, could be a 'mare for all I know ! snowHead
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I took a car last year and was glad of it.

It's a fair old distance between the areas, and indeed between thet own and some areas.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
ajbaldwin,

I think the buses around are OK but I personally would not go to Chamonix without a car. A car gives you easy access to all the Chamonix skiing (Les Houches / Brevent / Flegere / Argentiere (GM) / Le Tour ) and if you are there for a week you can also easily drive to St Gervais / Megeve or Les Contamines which make a change and are quite nearby or pop through the tunnel to Courmayeur. A car will also make the transfers more convenient. That extra £200 may be a lot but it will not seem so bad when you are rushing to hit the powder and standing behind 50 people in a bus queue will it? Cool

For me a Chamonix skiing holiday is different to a Three Valleys or or other large ski in/ski out area holiday because of the variety around Chamonix and the car makes all that much more accessible.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
if you book a car from the french side for a week its about £150 try carhire 2000

most private transfers come in at 25 E + an extra E or so for tax so thats just over 100E for the 2 of you.

i would get a car for chamonix because sometimes its like joining an alton towers queue and you can only watch from the discomfort of the bus as it gets longer and longer

and if you have a car you cant stop for a bevvie on the bottom of the slopes saving 10 E a day....result!!!....well if thats what you consider a result!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ajbaldwin, You don't "need" a car as the buses are perfectly fine, if a little crowded sometimes. However if you take a car you won't regret it as it makes life a whole lot easier in Chamonix. Plus you can avoid the 100 meter sprint to the lift queue!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Chamonix buses are a battlezone in peak season at peak times, but so can the car parks. Depends on your definition of "morning" and "afternoon" . If you get to the slopes at 10.30 - no problems, similarly if you stay out V late or home early. 9am and 5pm are tough though. Personally I would use the bus, but more for green and financial reasons
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
As usual thanks all for the quick and varied responses. I am not the most patient person in the world so I am thinking a car it is. also as I have a spare day (I fly out at 10:40pm I might use the car to check out another resort on the way back to Geneva
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
If you go for the car option, hire on the French side of Geneva airport as Dizzymink suggests. It should save you at least £50++. The only hassle is squeezing yerself over to the French side (you'll know what i mean if you try it) and then having to drive through Geneva on the French side to avoid having to pay for a Swiss Vignette (30 Euros...i think?). Also, request chains....just in case etc Very Happy
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
If you do take the bus the best is Alpybus who take you right to your hotel and run much more regularly than the ordinary buses.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
GreyCat, that was always my advice. But my latest hire (for February 2009) is the same price from either side - and you get snow tyres and chains and a vignette.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
As GreyCat implies - if prices for hire cars are similar then getting off plane with a load of luggage and through from Swiss side to French side of GVA airport can be pretty bad news. I have driven from French side through Geneva to Chamonix sans vignette and this too is not the best way to start a holiday.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
i got a vignette on ebay for £15 then sold it 2 weeks later for £15.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
whats a vignette?

to add t the questions we are travelling to cham for the first time at the end of jan with the car when you drive to the other areas are there easily avliable spaces to park near the main lifts?

do they cost money to park there? and how much is the bus equivalent?

Cheers Andy
snow report
I'll be there over xmas too... taking buses as I'm only skiing 3 days Crying or Very sad
ski holidays
aw-hicks, unless you are going to drive on the swiss motorway you wont need a vignette. Parking by the lift stations in cham is free you just have to find a space not a problem in jan!
latest report
We used to hire on the Frech side of GVA but the last few years we have always picked up on the Swiss side. Its sometimes a little more expensive (but not always) but so much easier.

And as far as having a car in Chamonix- its a must for us. Gives you the chance to visit lots of other nearby resorts if the lifts are closed for whatever reason in the Cham valley. In the past we have had days at Megeve,Les Contamines,Morzine,Praz sur Arly,La Clusaz,Courmayeur,La Thuile, Verbier etc while based in Chamonix/Argentiere.
latest report
Off Peak Season, I don't think a car is essential. The bus service is very regular and seats can often be found just a case of jumping on and off at the right places. I actually think you miss a bit of the experiance if you don't ride around on the local transport network, bumping into other brit's andtrying your luck at French with the bus driver!

Peak Season, Car is defo essential. Buses start to slow down due to the amount of loading and unloading and a seat can rarely be found thus you end up with some french womans sweaty armpit rubbing your nose and a BIG Austrian mountain man shoving his ski pole up your back bottom for the 20 min journey!

Good luck with what you choose! Very Happy
snow report
If you are close to the town centre, but Argentiere side, I'd say your bus journeys are about:

Flegere 5-10mins

Grand Montets 10-20mins

Le Tour Up To 30mins

Brevent is difficult, the bus has to go through town so could take 5mins or 30mins! If your up for it, it will only take you 15mins to walk through town however there is a steep hill to climb. Not to bad in boarding boots but would'nt like to do it in ski boots!

Buses are every 10mins at peak times!

Hope that helps
latest report
I have hired a car at Geneva airport a couple of years back and by shopping around I got a Yaris for £120 for a week.

My view is that if you want to ski all the areas and maximise your time on the slopes then a car is the way to do it. I would only return to Cham if I was hiring a car. If I was faced with having to get ski-buses everywhere, I would probably choose another resort.
latest report
We did Cham last Feb and had a car. The buses and trains are reliable and efficient, used them a few times but the valley and ski areas are strung out. The car gives you the flexibility and convenience. If I go again, the car will be with me.
snow conditions
aw-hicks wrote:
whats a vignette?

It's Swiss road tax - you need to have the official sticker on your windscreen going through the border, or risk being stopped and 'invited' to buy one or - I have heard tales - being fined. They can be bought online, cost about £20 I think Puzzled and last for the year
snow conditions
Interesting thread. My first time in Cham and I will have the Mundaneo there on 27th Dec. I had assumed it would sit in the car park all week without moving, with me and Mrs Shaker getting the bus.

It seems not

Very Happy
snow report
Anniepen wrote:
aw-hicks wrote:
whats a vignette?

It's Swiss road tax - you need to have the official sticker on your windscreen going through the border, or risk being stopped and 'invited' to buy one or - I have heard tales - being fined. They can be bought online, cost about £20 I think Puzzled and last for the year

27eu at the border
latest report
Quote:

Anniepen wrote:
aw-hicks wrote:
whats a vignette?

It's Swiss road tax - you need to have the official sticker on your windscreen going through the border, or risk being stopped and 'invited' to buy one or - I have heard tales - being fined. They can be bought online, cost about £20 I think and last for the year

27eu at the border

£22 plus £5 admin fee online at www.swisstravelsystem.com . If bought now lasts until end of Jan 2010.
snow conditions
beequin wrote:
Quote:

Anniepen wrote:
aw-hicks wrote:
whats a vignette?

It's Swiss road tax - you need to have the official sticker on your windscreen going through the border, or risk being stopped and 'invited' to buy one or - I have heard tales - being fined. They can be bought online, cost about £20 I think and last for the year

27eu at the border

£22 plus £5 admin fee online at www.swisstravelsystem.com . If bought now lasts until end of Jan 2010.

but 27eu at the border is cheaper and it lasts until end of jan 2010. BUT if the border guard catches you it will need to be stuck to the window of the hire car and won't come off, so it lasts 2 weeks Happy
snow report
Quote:

27eu at the border is cheaper

Not for long.

Careful sticking will allow you to take it with you, or at least has done. Hired car at Grenoble and arranged to leave it on the French side of GVA, but did not have time to avoid the motorway. Not that we had cause to use it again!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This might help, we fly out friday and are renting from the french side going to Cham

http://web.onetel.net.uk/~dougmacarthur/FromGenevaAirport.html
latest report
We spent last Christmas in Chamonix and it was great, we also go in February when it is much busier. We are flying to Geneva on Saturday and driving there for Christmas once again, can't wait. A car makes life so much easier over there and as there are so many places to ski it is much more convenient than buses, have a great time, we will, I hope. Smile
latest report
Quote:

to add t the questions we are travelling to cham for the first time at the end of jan with the car when you drive to the other areas are there easily avliable spaces to park near the main lifts?

Parking at Brevent costs 1 euro for the day. Parking at the other areas is free. The car parks can fill up at peak periods. We always drive around to Vallorcine if we are skiing Le Tour during the holidays as you can park close to the lift and you never have to queue there. Don't use the Flegere lift unless you happen to be staying nearby as it is an ancient wind-up contraption and the queues can be horrid. Instead use the link over from the Brevent side.
ski holidays
Thank you all for the very helpful info

I cannot wait to go
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy