Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Canada plans new ski area with 1945m vertical

Poster: A snowHead
The boom in British Columbia skiing continues with plans to hugely expand the Revelstoke ski area. A lift system with the "fourth largest vertical in the world" is being designed, providing a total vertical of 1945m (approximately 400m more than Whistler). 25 lifts with 100 trails are planned, in line with a government policy to expand the ski industry off the back of the 2010 Winter Olympics, which will be based in Vancouver...

The new ski area will be called 'Mount Mackenzie Resort'.

This report from Canada.com.

Any snowHeads who know this ski terrain are welcome to comment.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

4th largest vertical?

yeah right!

off the top of my head, zermatt, cervinia, cham must have more vertical - if i can think of three then there must be more??? Puzzled Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Without checking the exact differences between top station and resort altitudes, Chamonix is certainly over 2800m vertical (i.e. total descent of the Vallee Blanche and continuing run into town) and Zermatt is over 2200m vertical. So we need to sort out the rest (I'll try and source an authoritative database). The glacier above Laax in Switzerland, down to the resort, is one of the lesser-known but best in the Alps, for example.

A better known vertical, around 2000m, is the Aiguille Rouge above Arc 2000, down to Villaroger.

I have a hunch that the claim above may be fair, but we'll see.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
How about La Grave? Villard Reculas? La Plagne (Champagny en Vanoise)? Les Deux Alpes?

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Wed 8-12-04 15:46; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
PG, feel free to do the calculations!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
hobbiteater, instead of Cervinia, the descent from the Klein Matterhorn (on the Zermatt system) down to Valtournanche (which is below Cervinia) gives a better vertical.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Are we talking about single runs?

Wouldn't have though La Plagne qualified, best you can get is 1850m from top of Bellecote to Montchavin, but that involves off-piste. Champagny en Vanoise qualifies even less so.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Pete Horn, yes I think this is only meaningful if the run is continuous with no intervening lifts or uphill stretches. On that basis I can't remember if Engelberg in Switzerland offers a continuous run from the Titlis to the resort, but if it does it's one for our database.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
It does say "steepest vertical drops"
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The Aiguille Rouge run in Les Arcs has a vertical descent of 2026m, from the peak at 3226m down to Villaroger at 1200m. I'm hoping to be able to ski it in March snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I would suggest that "Most vertical" means the difference in height between the top of the highest lift and the bottom of the lowest run. if you have to go up a lift in between so be it! After all it is the difference in height of a resort not the lenght of a run that the original post refers to.

David, of course. I ment the Cervinia area.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I did a little bit of searcing on the web to find the "most verical" slopes in Europe.
This is what I found so far mostly on www.skiresort.de (a good site to visit anyway):
(name, resort, drop in metres)
    Vallée Blanche, Chamonix , 2 807
    Mont-Fort - Le Châble, Verbier (Les Quatre Vallées) ,2 510
    Valtournenche, Breuil-Cervinia , 2 296
    Sarenne , Alpe d´huez , 2 230
    Klein Matterhorn-Zermatt, Zermatt , 2 200
    Schilthorn-Lauterbrunnen, Jungfrau Region , 2 170
    Dome de la Lauze-La Grave, Les Deux Alpes , 2 118
    Weißfluh-Küblis, Davos-Klosters, 2 034
    Titlis-Tal, Engelberg/Titlis , 1 978
    Gletscher-Sölden, Sölden (Ötztal) , 1 820
    Talabfahrt , Marmolada , 1 820
    Mittelallalin-Tal, Saas-Fee , 1 778
    Hohstock-Blatten, Aletschgebiet/Belalp, 1 778
    Gefrorene Wand-Hintertux, Hintertuxer Gletscher , 1 750

Other sources present you different figures in some cases.
Feel free to add more on the list.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What an excellent list!
On that basis the promoters of Mount Mackenzie would have to revise their claim to '10th largest vertical'.
The Mont Fort - Le Chable run is a particular surprise: has anyone of this parish skied it?
The Soelden figure may not comply with 'continuous vertical'. I'm not sure that the glacier directly connects to the resort via a skiable run, but maybe someone can clarify that?
For sheer 'thrills per mile', the Dome de la Lauze- La Grave has got to be the best, in my experience of skiing a few of those, and there are at least two quite different routes down.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
...and in 9th place: Aiguille Rouge - Villaroger, Les Arcs, 2026m. Mount Mackenzie down into 11th.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
moosepig, thanks. Les Arcs is included. On the basis of previous posts, I decided to compile the TOP 100 list or database by the end of this season.
So far I have had 55 runs with a vertital drop larger than 1000 m.
I wonder if this list is too large to post?
snow conditions
kerekip, it would be fun to verify the list personally!
snow report
Yet more verticals, just added to j2ski wink I'll get them sorted for Europe and The World tomorrow, but I make...

10 verticals over 2000m in France
+
8 verticals over 2000m in Austria
+
A trio over 2000m in Switzerland

Just for comparison here are the max verticals in USA and Canada... now they may have high mountains, but the Alps are super-sized! Cool

Enjoy...
latest report
J2Dave, in the spirit of friendly proofreading...Neustift im Stubaital appears twice in the Austria list
Very Happy

Nice data BTW!
snow report
Ian Hopkinson wrote:
J2Dave, ...Neustift im Stubaital appears twice in the Austria list

...yeah I know, it was late... Embarassed ...but I only counted it once (I think)! But thanks... "friendly proofreading" always welcome!

Cheers,
J2Dave...
snow report
Guys, getting back to the subject of Revelstoke ski area, I think it's neither here or there about who's got the largest..... drop, it's quality of terrain that counts as you can ski the Chamonix Mer de glace and pole along 70% of it, beautiful yes but once is enough. In essence Canada is like Europe except it's 90% undeveloped in terms of lift accessed skiing. Revelstoke at present is home to hard core locals who ski tour the amazing mountains that make up this area. It's famouns for heli and cat skiing and the terrain is outstanding, the snow fall is high and atmopsphere laid back. Canada is making a step to increase it's winter sports possibilites for the world skiing market and it's a place for sure to visit if you enjoy challenging off piste and ski touring adventures.
ski holidays
J2Dave, counting La Plagne, Champagny, and Montchavin as 3 resorts doesn't seem fair!
snow report
Peak, but we're good at going off piste / topic! (Welcome to snowHeads, BTW snowHead )
ski holidays
John Scott, doh dear.... yes, you're right - I'm discriminating against differently-statured resorts! I have some work to do there... and I don't even list Revelstoke (yet)!
ski holidays
Going off of the original post asking what the terrain is like and quality... Mt. Mackenzie will be sick. After visiting Cat Powder for the last 3 years and getting to know the terrain there I'm sure everyone will be impressed. With steep alpine, trees and an abundant amount of snow this is the resort that the BC interior has been waiting for.
latest report
Welcome to snowHeads skipowda snowHead snowHead snowHead
Quote:
Mt. Mackenzie will be sick.
Not quite sure I'm up with your BC vernacular there but stick around and keep posting and we'll soon catch up. Very Happy
snow report
Pete Horn, I believe the problem is your choice of sliding equipment. Were you to snowboard you would understand that he means "Mount MacKenzie resort will be jolly spiffing, old chap - what!". snowHead

Wonder how much a translator who can translate 'boarder' into 'skier' is worth. Toofy Grin
snow report
Fascinating! If you put "4th largest vertical" into Google you get this thread as the first response.
Good one, Admin.
The story has now gone from the Canada.com site so I can't get the details, but clearly you Limeys have no idea of geography.
This is a map of the world.
When we talk about the Baseball World Series, we know what we mean.
Mount Mackenzie may actually have the greatest vertical drop of all resorts.
kerekip mentions a whole load of other places, but these are clearly on another planet. They don't count.
ski holidays
Alagna should be on the above list - I think it is close to 2,500 m, continuous.

And regarding Verbier, I am not certain there is a continuous route from Mont Fort to Le Chable. In any case, there is rarely snow in Le Chable. That is the problem with may of the great verticals in Europe.

But I do love reading about great verticals!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
LDA goes from 1600 up to 3600 if my memory serves me right.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy