Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

ski school or private lessons?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Does anyone have any views on whether it is worthwhile starting with one to one teaching, or whether I would be better off having a few lessons in ski school and then moving to one to one teaching to speed up the process once I have got started?

I am off to Tignes on Friday and, although I have not given up hope that fresh snow will arrive at the end of this week or, more likely, during the time we are there, I am beginning to think about Plan B - which is to turn a negative into a positive and to use rocky pistes as an excuse to learn to ski.

Although I'm a fairly experienced boarder, I have never even put my feet in ski boots before and so I will need to start from absolute stage one.

But, time is of the essence because I don't want to spend all week in a beginners class if the snow arrives - I will just quit and return to my board. If i can pick it up quicker with private lessons, I would be willing to pay the extra. Therefore, is one to one teaching from the outset a good idea or is it a waste of money?

Cheers for your thoughts.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Tony Lane, one to one on skis for 1 2-3 hour lesson will probably teach you as much as 2 or 3 group lessons will if the teacher is good, but if you get a bad teacher.......
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tony Lane, if you can afford it one-to-one is going to be the best and quickest way. You have the instructor's full and undivided attention and you will never be waiting in a line while the rest of the class attempt the manoeuvre, fall over, pick themselves up, etc.
The only caveat might be your fitness as the lesson(s) could be seriously hard work - but I think you're a biker so maybe fitter than the average newbie to skiing. Have a good one whatever you decide to do. And fingers crossed for more snow everywhere in the French Alps.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Tony Lane, given that you're an experienced boarder, it would seem to me you're a very atypical ski beginner, in that you'll have a lot more feel of body balance and understanding of how snow and moving over it feels - so group beginner lessons may spend a lot of time with the others getting over those basic feelings, that won't be relevant to you. I would have thought that a bit of quality 1-2-1 would be best for you. Maybe best is to try one private lesson, see how you get on and then make a decision about how to go on for subsequent days from there.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Tony Lane, definitely 1:1 IMHO. And you could do worse than try Evolution 2 in Tignes. I had a 2:1 lesson with Slowplough just over a year ago, when we were looking to get to grips with carving. They were excellent and our skiing improved hugely as a result. Good luck, whatever.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers guys. That just about settles it then. As I am used to charging around a mountain, I certainly don't think that I could stomach waiting for others to do their stuff.

I was also thinking that being used to sliding on snow, turning into the fallline, using edges rather than skidding, etc, etc would all translate to skiing and help with the progression - but I'll need to ensure that I focus on skiing technique and not end up doing a hybrid of the two!

kuwait_ian, remembering how much i ached when getting used to boarding, I fully expect to find a few new muscles until the technique improves!

My next question was going to be who to contact - i shall look at Evolution 2. It's a shame New Generation are not in Tignes as I have a friend that works for them in Courchevel and he could sort me out.

It now looks as if there will be little new snow until the latter part of that week - so, 4 days on hire skis and then the board might have to make it's re-appearance.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tony - you're the opposite of me - but i had the same conundrum!
Am a skier but going to board - before this thread started was edging to replacing a whole morning/afternoon of school lessons with a 1hr a day private lesson (there'll be 2 of us so should be about the same in money as full ski school) This thread has convinced me that private lessons will be the way to go.
Although will be trying to have some really basic board lessons here before heading out...
Got some confidence on snow and the thought of spending the first 2/3 days of holiday on the nursery slopes was worrying me - hopefully will get an instructor that will teach us lifts and then get us straight onto blue runs
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
mountain mad, i would have thought that a couple of hours on the nursery slope with an instructor will swiftly be followed by a trip onto pistes. As you only have one edge to balance on, boarding is easier when you have a bit of momentum. I know that I found that I progressed much quicker when I left the nursery slopes behind after the first morning. Good luck!
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy