Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Garmont Radium, Dynafit Zzeus etc.

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
At our local ski shop's annual apéro last week I was chatting to the owner about his new stock (as you do) and these new "hybrid" boots look quite interesting. Does anyone have any opinions on them? How do they compare with alpine boots in terms of flex and precision? Are they the best of both worlds as the marketing blurb would have you believe, or actually the worst of both?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
eng_ch, I am looking for a Dynafit boot that skis hard so I've been looking in to this in some depth.

Of course, it always come down to what you want to do with them, there is always compromise. However, I think the holy grail of ski boots is coming closer now.

The ZZeus & the Black Diamond Factors are (the only) two boots which can be used with both touring soles (Dynafit compatible) and ISO / DIN soles. There are others which can be switched between touring (Vibram) and ISO / DIN soles - Scarpa Tornados / Typhoon, Garmont Adrenalin etc

The Radium is a touring only boot, it should not be used with alpine bindings.

They've been working on the hybrids for a while now and they are getting better. Of course they are not like skiing a race plug boot, but then again they're not like skining in Scarpa F1s.

I am tempted by ZZeus / Factors but as my true alpine boots are OK I might go for a Freeride touring boot like the Radium.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
parlor,

Looking at the Radium too but read it's only slightly stiffer than the G-rides so might go for the stiffer Axon instead. (Currently have Garmont adrenalins, the last on the other boots Scarpa, Black diamond etc would probably have too much volume for me)

http://www.feedthehabit.com/new-gear/garmont-radium-ski-mountaineering-boot-new-for-fall-2008/

PS guys, pretty sure you alread know that there's quite a bit of info on TGR about touring boots. What fits a fat yank most likely won't suit my skinny rump though.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
DB, I haven't had a good chance to go and try them on yet. Maybe I should now...

What's TGR? (It's down at the moment). Wink
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I'm in the same way......

After starting the season skinning 2 days with my alpine boots with the dukes, my feet "recommend" me to think in a new thing. And this year the market starts to offer nice things...
So people, when you try all of this boots, please, write the impressions...

Surely I'll continue with my alpine boots now, and when I can spend some days in the alps (maybe late january, or march) do the buying, because here is quite difficult to found a shop with good sort of this boots, and more difficult that the people who buys know something about feet and boots, and for a man with wide and little flat feet....need a good bootfitter with good sort of boots..... (maybe the zoo.... wink )
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
AlTom, the Zoo is a great place to get some great boots.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parlor wrote:
AlTom, the Zoo is a great place to get some great boots.

And Chamonix (plus verbier) is a good place to try this kind of boots.... Laughing Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
If you are after a good touring boot with good downhill performance I can recommend the Garmont G-Ride's - they have the dynafit inserts.

I currently use them with Fritschi Freeride bindings. As they have a walking sole they shouldn't of course be used with a normal alpine type binding.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
marksavoie wrote:
If you are after a good touring boot with good downhill performance I can recommend the Garmont G-Ride's - they have the dynafit inserts.

I currently use them with Fritschi Freeride bindings. As they have a walking sole they shouldn't of course be used with a normal alpine type binding.

G-rides don't have dynafit inserts. Its the mega rides that do. Same boot otherwise.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
parlor wrote:
Of course, it always come down to what you want to do with them, there is always compromise. However, I think the holy grail of ski boots is coming closer now.

Interesting. I'm actually looking at them from a slightly different angle. I have very tight achilles from ankle injuries some years ago, and the permanent pull of the forward lean with no respite leaves me in agony. Without CEM's exercises I would be hobbling. Walking and standing around in ski boots is problematic, to the extent that it's beginning to impact on the enjoyment of the people I ski with Confused Rutschen got a pair of Endorphins last year and has hardly used anything else since - he's recommended I go and try on some touring boots. I got my current boots early March 07 so they've done about 60 days now - old enough not to be tragic if they're replaced, but still with some life in them if I'm skiing anything with alpine bindings. I'm thinking that the hybrid boots, being designed for walking but still heading towards alpine stiffness, may well be worth a look?
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
OK, everything I wrote in the last post is still valid, but boy I got to get me some of these! Just been out for 2 hours with the dog, up the back lanes of Murschetg and over to Larnags, Rutschen put his Endo's on and took his skis with skins, I was stuck with ordinary (v good) street boots stomping. Evil or Very Mad So a certain person, mentioning no names, has got some powder turns in today despite lifts being closed, and I had an enjoyable stomp while going green with envy
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sold out of BD already.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Has any one got any views on the new Scarpa typhoon thermos, thinking of these for haute route trip.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nigel Brindley, Yep great boot, more freerando than the type of boot used for the Cham-Zermatt. The Spirit 3/4 is the boot for this, same shape, similar liner.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
..... this is another interesting comparison chart (prices are high as they are in dollars and they tend to pay more over the pond for ski stuff)

There are even pics so that one can pick the boots that best matches your bogner ski suit / fart bag. Wink

http://www.telemarkski.com/html/how_at_compare_boot.html
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy