Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Tips for riding ice

Poster: A snowHead
First can I just say that I hope we don't get any but... if we do, I need some tips. Its my pet hate as I am terrible at holding an edge on ice.

Apart from making sure the board edges are sharp, anyone got some technique tips to improve edge bite?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
hey bar shaker

my advice - should you hit an icy patch - would be to don't try and turn! its best if you can ride straight over ice while looking for some soft stuff to put your next turn in on. easier said than done i know but its the best way outta those situations as a rule.

also if it is getting icy then try and keep to the very sides of the piste. as that's where the snow gets pushed to over the course of the day it's where you'll find more forgiving conditions!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
bar shaker, RELAX

First and only real rule of riding on ice is to relax down into your boots and bindings and stay relaxed. Do that and you can carve or slide on a glacier . . does take a bit of practice to get your head around not stiffening up and locking your joints . . but it does work.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the tips guys.

I went to MK yesterday afternoon, deliberately to ride the 2 hours before it gets re-pisted, so the ice patches would be there. I came up with exactly what you have both said. and straight lined the ice, in a low relaxed stance and it was fine. I found I could carve on it, if I got the turn entry out of the way before I hit the worst of it and the faster I went, the easier it was. Part of my past problem has been trying to go as slow as possible, to reduce the impact from the inevitable lost edge... caused partly by the lack of speed down the mountain.

The exception to all of this was riding a demo Nidecker with Triads, from EB. That thing rode on train tracks, not matter what it was on. Far, far too fast for a crowded MK and so I couldn't really get a feel for it. I also had a 163 and really think that at 74kg, the 158 would be a better all round board for me. If nothing else, it would allow a more relaxing ride where as the 163 needed to be controlled all the time, or you suddenly added massive speed and risked getting spat out. Very impressive though. Going to a Rossignol Accelerator MK renter after the Nidecker, felt like it had a carpet base, rather than wax.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
My ice-on-a-board technique:

1. Go back down the hill.
2. Fetch skis from car.
3. Start again.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
I make sure I take the angle off before riding through the ice patch so that you don't slide out, then just try and avoiding making turns..

I quite like Lizzard's technique however - I'm sure that'll work well once I've bought her skis off her!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Lizzard, Laughing

But for those that don't ski it should be

1. Go back down the hill.
2. Enter Bar
3. Order beer & relax
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Lizzard,
Thats why I put the effort in last season to learn to ski,

Powder days, Snowboarding
Icy spring mornings, Skis
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have used Debbie's technique, up until now. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
bar shaker, and no reason why you shouldn't continue this simple yet fun technique !
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
DebbiDoesSnow, I usually employ that strategy for howling blizzard and zero visibility. Like last Saturday.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bar shaker, there was a programme on ITV about this a while ago that dealt with the perils of staying upright on ice. Here's a link to it...

http://uk.youtube.com/v/OrGZ0PdM0k4

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fogliettaz and Lizzard, It very nearly came to that. Many years ago, having semi cracked this boarding lark, I said I would be unlikely to put skis on again. I was sorely tempted on the last morning of my week in April, last year. Strong sunshine and 10degC together with a freezing night is what did for me. An end of season rental board, with nicely rounded edges, was not my idea of fun. I found a mountain side cafe and waited until it softened a bit.

If I thought I could have made it back to a rental shop, alive, I would have got me an extra edge.

A bit of practice yesterday, without the need to get anywhere or keep with anyone, was very useful and taught me much more than struggling to keep with my skiing friends in April.

The only thing that worries me is that an extended stretch of ice would have me going so fast that my only way of stopping would be to get heel side and then execute a bum cheek 360.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I am with Lizzard...
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Kruisler, what a gay/tame post for your one a day allowance Laughing
snow conditions
DebbiDoesSnow,
Laughing Laughing

It's tough out here! you should see the size of my window when I open snowHead ...it takes time reading a post when you can only see a couple of words at a time! Toofy Grin
snow conditions
Kruisler, Laughing Bless !!
I havent even got time to do my usual browsing ... too bloody busy with WORK at the moment Evil or Very Mad
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy