Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski trip to Soll, Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hello there,

I have finally got the first of this years ski trip's booked, and I'm going to Söll, in the Skiwelt area. Never skied in Austria, and was wandering if anyone had any hidden gems they know of in the area or the best bars etc.

Thanks

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Fri 12-12-08 23:08; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Oh dear, does no one go to this area?

Saw a couple of reviews on here, but they date back to the mid 90's.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi - sorry I haven't been to Soll before so can't help!

I'd suggest you change the title of your thread to be more specific about Soll, so that those who know will be tempted in Toofy Grin Otherwise you've got to open the thread up to know what it's about and I've heard there's some people who don't read all threads Shocked
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Actually I've just looked in the trip reports bit and there's a couple there from 2005:

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=111731
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=109126
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cathy wrote:
I'd suggest you change the title of your thread to be more specific about Soll

Good point, thanks.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Söll and the Hohe Salve range is one of my favourite areas - it's only about an hour from where I live. The Hohe Salve itself sticks up just above Söll and there are black runs down both sides. However, there are easier ways too and I sometimes prefer these when conditions are icy.

There's been quite a bit of lift development in the Skiwelt this year. One new cable-car (second section) from Hopfgarten to the top of the Hohe Salve, removing the need to guddle around with chairlifts. And since Westendorf is in the Skiwelt (I think), you should be able to explore its pistes too on a Skiwelt pass, using the new lift from Brixen to the Choralpe in Westendorf. There's also an improved chairlift on the Silleralm, which is easily reached from Söll. Haven't tried any of these yet but I am looking forward to it.

Make sure that you have a piste plan with you (or ask a local) when you're exploring, for the Hohe Salve range is quite long and can be confusing. I once ended up on a foggy day in Scheffau when my car was in Going - and that was after about twenty years skiing the area Embarassed

Can't help you with the aprés-ski; skiing from home I don't use it much.

But you'll have a great time!
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
We are going for New Year - for the third time in 2 years - as it ticks all the boxes for us - vast and varied ski area, friendly and has always seem cheap for food and drink but the Euro exchange rate will have an impact on that now I guess. We have young teenagers so don't do apres ski but the town has several lively bars and there are a great variety of mountain lodges/restaurants. We like the laid back atmosphere there and this year as a real bonus they appear to have real snow!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

We like the laid back atmosphere there and this year as a real bonus they appear to have real snow!

Shocked do they usually not?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Went here last year in January had agreat time. There is a bar on the cross roads as you come into town from the slopes, you wont miss it Salvn Stadl or similar. The band were absolutely fantastic and I believe they were going to come back this year. Nice skiing for our group, good atmosphere all round. There is a place at the bottom of the gondola where you can leave your boots and skis and walk back to town in comfort. Very friendly and as I recall it is the left hand door at the bottom of the gondola. There are loads of sledges stacked up as you go in, about 10 euros for the week. £10 to you and me. Run back into resort is fairly typical carnage, so be careful, Whisky muel bar looked like it got a bit wild but we avoided without problem. Enjoy Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to snowHeads espri, how nice to be able to ski from home! snowHead
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mfamily2 wrote:
Went here last year in January had agreat time. There is a bar on the cross roads as you come into town from the slopes, you wont miss it Salvn Stadl or similar. The band were absolutely fantastic and I believe they were going to come back this year. Nice skiing for our group, good atmosphere all round. There is a place at the bottom of the gondola where you can leave your boots and skis and walk back to town in comfort. Very friendly and as I recall it is the left hand door at the bottom of the gondola. There are loads of sledges stacked up as you go in, about 10 euros for the week. £10 to you and me. Run back into resort is fairly typical carnage, so be careful, Whisky muel bar looked like it got a bit wild but we avoided without problem. Enjoy Very Happy

I went to Soll about 5 years ago & this brought back great memories of a great trip. Agree with all the above. Have good time.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I went to Soll in 2005. Nothing very hard, lots of easy cruising. Agree if misty it is confusing around Scheffau/Ellmau at the top of the Hartkaiser mt - remember getting v confused when trying to get home 1 day. There was 1 fantastic tavern up there, great food & atmos but I can't really remember where exactly, other than it was close to 1 of the few t-bars. Best runs I remember was a really quiet red in trees off a cablecar to the left of Hochsoll & the black down from the top of Brandstadl - Scheffau. The Salvn Stadl was our favoured apres spot also - impossible to miss coming back to the village. You can ski back to the road/village but then you have to walk back or get the bus in the am, 10mins walk, bus overcrowded & not freq enough (if you are impatient). Or you can leave everything at the Gondola - just make the decision on the run back to the village - you need to be going fast past the Gondola base to make it to the road!
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what...snow wrote:
Best runs I remember was a really quiet red in trees off a cablecar to the left of Hochsoll ...

The cablecar what..snow mentions here isn't used any more (anyone want to buy a secondhand cablecar?). To get across to the Silleralm and then the track back to Hochsöll past the (not so) old cablecar, the easiest way is now a track from the top of the Keat lift in Hochsöll.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
charliwest, been to soll a couple of times - really liked it, some very welcoming mountain restaurants - not haut cuisine but good food and good value. Our fav places to eat were Rigi and the Hexenalm. Also theres a great place on the way to lift 7 from Soll - i think its called franks - you could ski past it easy enough - dont expect fast service and make sure you get the haus-schnapps! Top tip tho is to use Edingers ski garage right under the gondola station and not the other one down the hill used by the main TOs. Super well run outfit, good equipment, super service - maybe a few euros more but well worth it. If there is good snow you will love it - both times we were there in March snow was iffy, our fav was down past rigi from hohe salve - from there either go back up the chair - recommended - or take the black/red back to the right half way down.

As for apres theres a bar across the main road from the slopes which seems to be the main hang-out - wasnt in it myself tho. cant believe how the austrians keep their public toilets so clean. whiskey mule is a busy spot too - i dont think you will have any probs finding somewhere fun - where are you staying?
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w

re the real snow comment - the first time we went it was all snow cannon stuff and the village as snowless as our town back in UK - okay mountain may have had the real deal but there were snow cannons up and down the runs on the go all the time. Similarly the second time - no snow in village and slushy low runs supplemented by cannons - but this time it looks 'real'! ie from the heavens!
snow report
charliwest, If you want a cheap but good restaurant ask any local or ski instructor for Harrys. Its opposite the Sports bar - whiskey mule. Its not called that but everybody knows it by that name.
latest report
Talking of eating on the slopes, I'll put in my twopence for the Frankalm, which is a smaller hut you can find on the connecting run between the Silleralm and the Filzbodenlift.

BTW, if the daylight hours aren't enough for you, Söll also provides floodlit skiing (or sledging), though you have to pay extra for the lifts.
snow conditions
Plenty of info for you above charliwest, I'd just add that there used to be a legendary roast chicken place at the top of the Soll gondola - well worth a lunch (get there early to avoid disappointment!).

Actually there also used to be a fantastic restaurant in Westendorf on the far right of the piste map...down a track skiers left when coming down from the chair over the board park. Afraid I can't remember the name, but have a look on the piste map for a place that's well out of the way!

And there's a good place (memory slowly kicking in Smile ) for lunch in Ellmau - again slightly out of the way on mid-way down the home run...think it's skiers left again.

As for night life, Soll is fairly lively - Salvn Stadl is always good, and everyone seems to gravitate to the Whiskey Muhle later on. You won't have any trouble finding the bars Very Happy
snow conditions
ChrisWo wrote:
a fantastic restaurant in Westendorf on the far right of the piste map...

That'll be the Brechhornhaus, I think.

ChrisWo wrote:
And there's a good place (memory slowly kicking in Smile ) for lunch in Ellmau - again slightly out of the way on mid-way down the home run...think it's skiers left again.

And I guess that's the Rübezahlalm.

I would recommend both too.
ski holidays
Thanks - it's been a while Smile
snow report
Thanks everyone for the info, was getting a bit worried when no one replied, but deffintily sounds like everyone enjoyed it. I've been checking the webcams everyday, its looking good there. Counting down the days now!!
snow report
charliwest, Great area for intermediates when it's fully open... On the mountain I like the new self-service place at Riga and also the JeagerHutte above Ellmau. In Soll the DorfStubbe is my favourite place.

Watch some of the runs to resort - they're often quite hard reds or blacks and get icy, and crowded.... No shame in taking the bobble back down, especially if the legs are weary.

When are you off?
snow report
Going on the 3rd Jan with Neilson. Very Happy
snow conditions
We try to get a few days in Soll every year. There is loads of piste to tour around on and an excellent ski school. As mentioned above the Salven Stadl is the main apres ski bar - absolute best place I have ever been for apres ski. Don't miss a few rounds of the 'nail game'!! Good restaurants we like are the Venetian (about two minutes to the left of the Salven Stadl as you face it, on the main road) and I think the other one is called Bella Vita (just around the corner from the Salven Stadl). You might be getting the impression we spend a lot of time in that bar and you'd be right! If you fancy blowing the budget the Schindlhaus is top notch. Not sure if it has a Michelin star but it is that good in my opinion. Enjoy your trip - you will love Soll. The people are really friendly and there is loads of skiing to enjoy. Oh and definitely rent your skis from the shop at the gondola. The hike up the road is pure annoyance if you are carrying skis from the town. They have a garage if you are bringing your own.
ski holidays
charliwest, fantastic - they have great snow at the moment it should be a perfect trip. Also a great area to visit in summer, I climb there sometimes in the mountains opposite the ski slopes. They have some bonkers festival in June when they dress all the cows up in floral outfits and parade them through town! Needless to say everyone gets steaming pissed and ends up with smelly shoes! Laughing
ski holidays
To get you into the mood, here is a picture of the Hohe Salve range which I took yesterday looking west from St. Johann in Tirol. The Hohe Salve range is the snow and tree covered ridge running roughly through the middle of the photo (behind the St. Johann trees); the Hohe Salve itself is the conical mountain, rather dull in the photo (in the distance, looking small and without any trees on the top). Söll lies in the valley to the north of that (right in the photo) and the resorts linked to it along the ridge are Scheffau, Ellmau and Going (Brixen and Hopfgarten are off on the lefthand side and Itter is right past the Hohe Salve on the right).

Hope that makes some sense rolling eyes
latest report
espri, that photo was taken from the McDonalds car park in St J right?

charliwest, That reminds me, the SkiWelt gets V.E.R.Y busy on sunny weekends with 1000's of M-plated 525's and A6's steaming down. The locals seem to think the Bavarians are bad drivers... espri, that's not right surely? Razz
snow report
red 27 wrote:
espri, that photo was taken from the McDonalds car park in St J right?

Not exactly, it's from the lower section of the Harschbichl gondela.

red 27 wrote:
The locals seem to think the Bavarians are bad drivers... espri, that's not right surely? Razz

No, indeed, I'm a Bavarian (of Scottish descent) snowHead But I'm planning to become a Tiroler next year, so maybe I'll change my mind Laughing
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
espri, Do you not think that what...snow, might mean the red home run from the Hochsoll gondola. As there never was a red run from the cable car? Well only the bottom half of Silla.
snow conditions
clive5 wrote:
might mean the red home run from the Hochsoll gondola.

When what...snow spoke of "a really quiet red in trees off a cablecar to the left of Hochsöll", I guessed he meant the Skiweg (track) which leads back from the Silleralm to Hochsöll, parallel to the cablecar which was used for a few years as the connection over to the Silleralm (and towards Scheffau). The run is actually a blue, I think, but has one drop which livens it up snowHead. I would never have thought of the red runs down from the top of the Hohe Salve gondola as being "really quiet". There's usually plenty of folk on them.
latest report
espri,There is only one run to the left of Hochsoll. The Red Home run is only busy when everybody is going home. But don't tell any one as it's the best run in Soll. PS do it with them Atomics that you ski on and you will really like it. we normally send someone down they then phone up to say if it's clear or not.
latest report
charliwest Don't do the home run you won't like it. Full of people falling over.
ski holidays
clive5 wrote:
charliwest Don't do the home run you won't like it. Full of people falling over.

Don't let that put you off - you just have to ski round them Laughing
latest report
Went to Soll last year and loved it. It was only my second time skiing but I enjoyed it far more than the first time.
We had two days of heavy snow while we were there and conditions were great for the whole week. What I liked about the Skiwelt as a whole was the variety of different routes you can take, I don't think we went the same route twice all week. Would go back this only I don't have time unfortunately. The red run from Hochsoll to the village is very crowded in the evening, but is great early in the morning.
As everyone has said, the Salven Stadl is a lively spot apres ski and the Whiskey Muhle is the main spot later on. Food and drink generally cheap and good quality.
Have some pictures I'll stick up later on.
snow conditions
espri, Don't do the home run it's full of people skiing round people falling over.It's no fun going down the inside or the outside with the pushed up powder.
snow report
To the people who went to soll and scheffau over xmas, how was it?? I'm off out there in 2 weeks. Cant wait.
snow report
mckeann wrote:
To the people who went to soll and scheffau over xmas, how was it?? I'm off out there in 2 weeks. Cant wait.

I was last there Tuesday past. Although there hasn't been new snow for a while, the area is completely skiable. But the pistes are hard and tending to icy. We found the best snow in Going but there aren't many pistes there. Hopefully there will be new snow in the next couple of weeks.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy