Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Half pipes on skis

Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to Courchevel mid April, I seem to remember there is a really nice fun park there with a small and large half pipe.

Does anyone have tips on how to ski a half pipe? last time I tried I went straight up a wall, tried to pop around, and jumped straight out of the half pipe!

cheers,

greg
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
gregh, No helpful comments as I bottled it before the top of ours! I must be too old!! Sad
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
lol cheers, I must admit to a fair bit of "watching" and skiing off the ends a few times before going for it, and that was in the baby halfpipe Wink
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I find the best thing to do is snowplough down the middle of it, then stop about half way, take your skis off, and stand there for a bit.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
?? Lean as far back as you can?

At least that way you won't pop out...

IIRC, the pipes I'ved played in had vertical (or very nearly) walls at the top so I didn't have that problem. Maybe a bit of anticipation - i.e. extending your arm in the direction that you want to turn in (as you would do on top of a mogul) with a bitty of a pole plant might help?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
gregh,they have a 1/4 pipe(metal)at Tamworth Snowdome.Many is the time I've looked at it,watched a few try it,seen most of them crash out,so I just keep looking Sad But then you see someone who's 'got it' and it looks so easy Confused Now resigned to the fact that I'm the wrong side of 25(about double)so I'll stick to just skiing snowHead Tactically,I agree with WTFH.

One things for sure,if easiski wont do it,its not easy,or just plain risky??

And another thing.How many trips to casualty are required before you can 'rail'?
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Well, incase you do decide to try it, here are a few tips:
- do all your turning in the bottom//flat of the pipe, go as straight up the wall as possible
- don't initiate your 180 spin for re-entry until your upwards movement is starting to slow down
- jump a bit off the pipe when you go up for your trick, this will ensure you land back in the pipe
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Note that I can't really do the pipe on skis or board, these are just tips people have given me before I go out and hurt myself Smile
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Whatever you do DON'T play SSX in order to get a feel for how it's done Shocked
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
1. Approach the walls with flexed, edged skis. If you are learning you may find it helpful to prepare to pole plant, but once you are more experienced, DONT - it damages the pipe.

2. "pop" as you get closer to the top. Do this by extending your ankles knees and hips making sure your skis leave the ground, you can start to turn at this point by throwing your shoulders to the right (if you are hitting LH wall of pipe)

3. Enjoy the air, you've done the easy part...

4. As you realise the landing is becoming increasingly inevitable then start to tuck your legs slightly to make the remainder of your turn easier.

5. most of your rotating should be done now, as you prepare to land extend your legs again to abosrb the impact of landing.

6. The perfect point to regain contact with the snow is just BELOW the top lip of the wall.

7. Stay centred as you land, if your weight is too far farwards, then as you hit the softer snow which can gather towards the middle of the pipe it can pitch you forwards, but don't lean too far backwards either, or you will also lose control.

Hope that helps, it is adapted from a magazine article i read ages ago.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
gregh, You're getting lots of advice nere - but none of us admit to being able to do it. Martin Bell where are you - for sure he wouldn't bottle! rolling eyes
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have done the above in a natural half-pipe, but not in a real one.

TO be honest - just have a go and see what happens! Just like the first time i went to jump my bike, i hadnt a clue what i was doing - but i landed again and it was all dandy!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
gregh, Its great fun as long as you keep total control of yourself, its so easy to speed off out of control, first time I skiid a half pipe I went back to do it all again immediatley as it was sooooo much fun.....
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have a CD, Ski Coach Recovery Room, lots of step by step video clips and instructions.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Word of warning to anyone with a background in gymnastics, trampoline or diving where you’re used to initiating both rotation and turn torque through the legs and hips, be very aware of your instinct to punch ‘up’ (or in a pipe, ‘out’) to start the trick or turn . . . get instruction or you could find yourself out over the centre of the pipe with a 15+ foot drop onto ice . . . Shocked

been there, done that, got a pic of the damage somewhere. Don’t think I’ll ever get the hang of ‘winding up’ my upper body for the turn . . . which is why I don’t play in the park.
snow conditions
If you're airing above the lip, don't pop as you get to the top of the wall.

The boost comes from extending your legs as you come up the wall to vertical. Keep your weight centered, and the vert will mean won't deck out, or land back in the flat in the middle of the pipe. Lead the rotation with the shoulders, pull your legs up, grab if you can and just think, smoooooooth. No jerky movements, as it could put you off axis.

If you're not airing, then you will need to pop, to pick your skis off the snow to turn back into the pipe. The biggest mistake is to pop to early. Wait until you are at the zero g point, where you have stopped moving up the wall and you're about to come back down.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy