Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Design project: Ski Information system

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

As a frequent snowboarder and skier, i have found that getting updated information about ski conditions while ON THE PISTE can be very hard - especially if you would like to know the most up to date weather forecast, state of the runs, Where the best jumps are, etc. Hence, for a design project, I am re-designing a new system/product for getting information to the skier/snowboarder/mountaineer.

I would be extremley grateful if you could answer a quick online questionnaire - takes 2 minutes to complete!!

link for questionnaire:
http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?sm=_2fdy7fV_2fVMTY_2bAPpbU00p2g_3d_3d

David
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
added my 2p

I thought of this idea a while ago.... tech is now capable and the geek skiiers would go for it.

lots of pitfalls and liability issues around it though.... tricky
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
David

Welcome to snowHead

I had the same idea a couple of years ago, so it's not exactly original.

For me the interesting bit is when a lift is opened that had previously been closed on that day - often the case with 'top lifts', closed for a few hours for additional avalanching..then open later in the day - can't see why you couldn't do with with a big computer, a database and some text messaging, rather than needing a specific gadget. Link it into real time tracking of the users passages through lift gates and could be quite good - i.e. you get on at the bottom of lift x and get a text telling you that lift y is now open - possibly a higher lift than the one you are on. Costs to be paid by an additional subscription paid when you buy your lift-pass. Issue is with text message delays, particularly when sent internationally

Of course this requires the resort to be proactive with their information..typically the austrian resorts are better at than than the french but much much worse at communicating avalanche levels (IMHO)
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
bertie bassett, daehwons, You both seem to think you have the same idea - have you, what is it? and is it the same as mine Twisted Evil Laughing
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
The 'live' piste indicator boards are useful for keeping an eye on what lifts and pistes are open. Too few of these around unfortunately. The top of each lift should have an info board with that day's weather forecast, tomorrow's weather forecast, a list of what pistes were bashed overnight and a description (as well as a rating) of avalanche risk. What other information would people want, and would there be any need for a fancy IT-based system to get the info to skiers in the resort?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Cheers for the input guys!

yeh, with stuff like wireless, 3G, Wap, bluetooth, etc. being more easily accessible than ever, it is something that could be done!

There are a few companies doing similar things to this, and the best one i have seen is from satski:
http://www.satski.com/
Its an applet for a windows phone with GPS/GPRS capabilities, and looks like a good solution... though i plan to take it further and focus on ski conditions and come up with a tangible product. Though Bertie basset, you are right, there needs to be a descent system at the resort in the first place for it to work well.

For my project, the emphasis is on making the product easy to use in a ski environment.....so for a mobile device, i'd be looking to design something that can be used easily with gloves on and is readily accessible, however, i am not only looking into mobile devices. another possibility could be information kiosks placed at the bottom of chair lifts, or even some sort of interactive screen on a chair lift - an ideal time to check information!

I am doing this for a product design project at University, so although the applet and software are great solutions, i need to do some actual product designing in order to fill certain criteria for the project.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
david_stewart wrote:
Hi,

As a frequent snowboarder and skier, i have found that getting updated information about ski conditions while ON THE PISTE can be very hard

I just look down to see what is below my skis Smile

I know you really mean a lot more than that, but I just couldn't resist.

P.S. I have filled in the survey for you Smile
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
alex_heney wrote:
david_stewart wrote:
As a frequent snowboarder and skier, i have found that getting updated information about ski conditions while ON THE PISTE can be very hard

I just look down to see what is below my skis Smile

Do you really need all of this information at European ski resorts? We've all been caught in white outs but how bad is it? It takes 20-60mins to ski down a piste that is normally only takes you 5 minutes? Pistes are well marked and it isn't that far between lift stations. Sunny in the morning? Storm in the afternoon, go down, surely? Weather changes so quickly in the mountains, what happens > weather come in, check the weather using your phone / PDA / seaweed, head for the lifts? Or weather comes in, head to the lift / coffee shop, sit it out for 20 mins then go home?

I arm my guests with the latest weather every morning when they go off skiing, whether they like it or not. Toofy Grin

Off piste is a different beast all together but in Switzerland I find my mobile reception disappears as soon as you step of the piste...
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
david_stewart wrote:
Cheers for the input guys!

yeh, with stuff like wireless, 3G, Wap, bluetooth, etc. being more easily accessible than ever, it is something that could be done!

There are a few companies doing similar things to this, and the best one i have seen is from satski:
http://www.satski.com/
Its an applet for a windows phone with GPS/GPRS capabilities, and looks like a good solution... though i plan to take it further and focus on ski conditions and come up with a tangible product. Though Bertie basset, you are right, there needs to be a descent system at the resort in the first place for it to work well.

For my project, the emphasis is on making the product easy to use in a ski environment.....so for a mobile device, i'd be looking to design something that can be used easily with gloves on and is readily accessible, however, i am not only looking into mobile devices. another possibility could be information kiosks placed at the bottom of chair lifts, or even some sort of interactive screen on a chair lift - an ideal time to check information!

I am doing this for a product design project at University, so although the applet and software are great solutions, i need to do some actual product designing in order to fill certain criteria for the project.

Satski has been convered on here before - do a google with site:snowheads.com. They also have a stand-alone terminal device. It's not a bad idea but I struggle to see the benefit over a piste map myself, the map is viewable in all light conditions (apart from pitch black) and it's not that hard to figure out how to get from a to b with one. People that ski the same resort regularly probably don't bother looking at one after a couple of weeks.

if you mean on the chair itself then that would be great, the problem with the chair lift screen is getting the power down and updating the info. Lech has heated chairs but I don't think that involves getting power onto the chair whilst it's moving uphill. Nor do you want to add to bar swing weight, nor break-down issues, nor inicrease the risk of on/off load accidents. I certainly think this could be an interesting avenue for exploration as there's lots of factors to consider. I also think you need to go and have a chat with the head of piste security at whatever resorts you're going too, as no doubt they can give you useful info on how the information is passed to skiers.

if you want any photos of sign-boards etc ('review of current informational tools') from France then I'd be happy to take some photes in mid-december and email to you at no cost. PM me if you like.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy