Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Ski Instruction for Children in Plen Peisey (Les Arcs)

Poster: A snowHead
Hello

What are the options? my friend and I are wondering what we could do....
We are going skiing with the following in our group...

A - 9 yr old who has her 1st Star with ESF - very good, very confident, perfectly able to ski with the adults when not in ski school (done 2 weeks of skiing in total)
B - 6 yr old who has ESF flocon, and did a week in 1st star but didn't get it - very reluctant skier. (2 weeks)
C/D - 5 yr old twins who have done Ourson - (1 week)
E - 4 yr old beginner, never skied - BUT is v sporty!!

We are going in March (termtime) - staying in Plen Peisey
Children B/C/D/E have all got afternoon childcare booked - childcare will collect from ESF morning class... I am pretty sure that this will not be flexible.

We would LIKE children B/C/D in same class - as on the slope they are pretty similar - snowplough turns down blues, they are good friends - and "B" is a very reluctant skier - so would be better to do an "easier" class with her friends so it is fun and she gains her confidence, than be in a more challenging class on her own... Our experience of ESF is that they will assess and group up accordingly at the beginning of lesson 1 and that is "it" for the week, regardless of what you say...my twins, both beginners last year were put in different groups for really no apparent reason...
ESF 5*5 is in the afternoon - so no good for childcare...

Who else can we look at - probably wanting private morning lessons for the younger children, and possibly all day for the 9 yr old...

Thank You
snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Hi Loveski

Welcome to snowHead

Plan Peisey - great choice of venue!!

I'm quite a fan of the english run independent schools as I personally have received better value for money than from the ESF factories..

I'd have a look at www.skinewgen.com - they operate out of vallandry rather than PP however, but are a great independent school, and my nieces will be booked into a class with them when the come out over xmas. I'd suggest phoning them and discussing your needs in more detail.

There's another independent school in Vallandry which has had some recommendations - Darentasia

Good Luck and hope to see you on the slopes..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi loveski, welcome to Snowheads........

I was in Plan Peisey in April with my 4 year old. First time for him, and he went with ESF. Now i don't know whether it made any difference because of the Tour Operator we were with ( Esprit ) but the ESF were fantastic with my boy and he had a stunning week with some incredible progression - was awarded Flocon, which for a timid, cautious 4 year old can't be bad at all.... His instructor asked me to help him take the kids up on the chairlift on the third day and I stayed for the lesson, just generally helping out - picking up kids, skis, gloves etc, etc but the instructor was marvellous with them all. He had had real passion for imparting his knowledge and the children just lapped it all up. He delivered his lesson with humour, intelligence, and of course impeccable skiing technique. I know the ESF gets a bit of a rough write up from time to time, but i believe that some of it is down to the management of that particular ESF branch, and in Plan Peisey, they seem to have got it right............

ESF would get my vote, in Plan Peisey anyway Very Happy
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Timberwolf, We were with Esprit in Peisey in January, ESF were so shoite would never go back to Peisey again. It was one particular awful lady instructor..follow me...follow me......... Evil or Very Mad

loveski, Welcome. An alternative rather than ski lessons all day for some of the kids is a private nanny? English lady runs this business and we used her last year and are actually using her again this year in Arc2000. With our 3 kids a private nanny to mind them after lessons is good value

http://www.safehandsfrance.com/peisey-vallandry-creche.html
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hi

Finally, no longer a 'lurker'!!

Am travelling in the same group as loveski - have contacted Newgen who so look fab, but don't have many options for childrens' lessons out of school holidays. Does anyone know if Ski Darentasia are still around? Have checked their website which keeps saying it will be up and running in June...! and noone seems to pick up the phone. Mainly looking for an all day ski school option for the 9 year old, partly to save a return to Peisey every day at 1200 for ski school pick up and also as she has far more energy (and possibly ability) than any of the adults can keep up with !! Laughing Laughing

Thanks for the info on the private nanny - did have that company on hold put have decided to put the younger ones with our tour ops PM kids club (they don't cater for 9yr olds).
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
onaplateau, welcome to snowHead
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
onaplateau wrote:
Hi

Finally, no longer a 'lurker'!!

Am travelling in the same group as loveski - have contacted Newgen who so look fab, but don't have many options for childrens' lessons out of school holidays. Does anyone know if Ski Darentasia are still around? Have checked their website which keeps saying it will be up and running in June...! and noone seems to pick up the phone. Mainly looking for an all day ski school option for the 9 year old, partly to save a return to Peisey every day at 1200 for ski school pick up and also as she has far more energy (and possibly ability) than any of the adults can keep up with !! Laughing Laughing

hi and welcome to snowHead

Newgen are great but run a very small school (just 2 instructors I believe) in Vallandry, so I'm not surprised they don't offer kids clubs outside holiday season.

I would imagine Darentasia are still around - but les arcs is very dead out of season (I was there a couple of weeks ago and it felt deader than the proverbial dead parrott!) - and given that it's likely the 1st week (13th Dec onwards) will be quiet I'm sure that things like the office are not yet manned, as you're not travelling til march then I wouldn't stress but then try phoning/emailing people in a couple of weeks time and you might get more response. Gven that the 9 year old is obviously adept at skiing then you can perhaps look at schools that start in 1800 rather than just limiting yourself to peisey-vallandry. IIRC you can get to 1800 from the top of Grizzly (lift out of plan p) but obviously that would need a parent to drop them off. A slightly ''random' suggestion would be Evo2 in montchavin/les coches - http://www.evolution2.com/plagne/ which seems to get good feedback (I don't have 1st hand knowledge) but again needs 'parental drop off' as it's the other side of the vanoise express, and also would need the Paradiski Illimite (unlimited) ski pass

I don't know if much/any schools in france run all day lessons, yes you can get those in some austrian resorts I believe, but given that in france you HAVE to stop skiing for lunch en famile Laughing then I pretty sure most french schools only do am or pm sessions - besides you need some time to work on your technique without Pierre going 'bend ze knees' all the time.

Give it a few more days and then no doubt more Paradiski experts will chime in with other suggestions.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
bertie bassett wrote:
A slightly ''random' suggestion would be Evo2 in montchavin/les coches - http://www.evolution2.com/plagne/ which seems to get good feedback (I don't have 1st hand knowledge) but again needs 'parental drop off' as it's the other side of the vanoise express, and also would need the Paradiski Illimite (unlimited) ski pass

We have snowHead . They are brillant. Great with kids. Used them 2 years with Esprit in Montchavin and several times last year when in La Plagne we travelled to them for private lessons ourselves. Very easy to use from Peisey as they are more than happy to meet at the top of the first bubble out of Montchavin which is straight over the Vanoise and will drop back at Vanoise. A curve ball but a good idea bertie bassett
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
thefatcontroller, incredible isn't it.......... same branch, same management, but such a different outcome ! Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but i have to re-iterate that TimberPup No.1 is a very sensitive, cautious child, and i saw him flourish first hand under some great instruction...
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Timberwolf wrote:
thefatcontroller, incredible isn't it.......... same branch, same management, but such a different outcome ! Sorry to hear about your bad experience, but i have to re-iterate that TimberPup No.1 is a very sensitive, cautious child, and i saw him flourish first hand under some great instruction...

But it all depends on the standard of the individual instructor and the quality at ESF seems to be more variable than at the independents especially at peak periods...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
bertie bassett, Have to agree and will always use independents now. Up in 2000 this year and have booked the kids into Spirit1950 rather than ESF in 2000.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
bertie bassett, agreed - also worth pointing out that i don't have any other experience of instruction for children to compare my ESF encounter with. Perhaps, when i undoubtedly do book the boy in with an Independant i shall see what you mean........

Mrs T has just pointed out that my view could be 'rose tinted ' due to the immense pride that i experienced whilst seeing my son's first faltering steps on skis develop to him skiing top to bottom in a few days Puzzled
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Timberwolf wrote:
bertie bassett, agreed - also worth pointing out that i don't have any other experience of instruction for children to compare my ESF encounter with. Perhaps, when i undoubtedly do book the boy in with an Independant i shall see what you mean........

Mrs T has just pointed out that my view could be 'rose tinted ' due to the immense pride that i experienced whilst seeing my son's first faltering steps on skis develop to him skiing top to bottom in a few days Puzzled

Watch out - one more trip and that immense pride will be tinged with your embarrassment when you're shouting "Oi, slow down!" and he's saying "Daddy I'm bored with doing red runs, can I go down that black again, or are you too unfit to keep up!" Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Laughing Laughing Laughing I will consider that position a job well done.......
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
we have had kids in ESF in Plan Peiseyover 4 weeks with up to 8 children- of various abilities.

ESF has been great-

The littlest ones had David in th esnow garden- great with small kids- instantly got my then 3yr old to trust him this March- knelt down- smiled- made eye contact- all done- smiley/friendly helpful....

Friends children have skied with Muriel - MooMoo- for a couple of years in a row- excellent- they all love her.

My oldest has been in 3 general ESF groups- 1,2, and 3 Star- with different instructors who have all been great- although not a guarenteed English lesson theere are so many English families in Peisey at least a third to a half of the kids will be English (or Scottish/Welsh/Irish).

Th ESF meeting place is right by the nursery and main lifts.....

Peisey ideal for learning to ski with kids- easy slopes- trees...pizza

even a bears WC in the woods....
snow report
Thank you for all your replies Smile

We will look into evo2 - certainly a possibility!

I might add - I actually had no problem with my experience of ESF -(on the 5x5) - as far as the teaching and enjoyment of the children was concerned. For my children, I think they could have been pushed harder, but they are only 5 so not soooo concerned about this as there are hopefully plenty more years for them to progress!!!

Also from my own (nosey!!!!!) perspective - it would be nice if my 2 were in the same class - then I could help for a lesson as Timberwolf had mentioned above !! (that way I think I would know what to tell them when they are with us skiing)!!

My only "problem" is that the 5x5 doesnt fit with the afternoon childcare, aals that (from memory) private lessons are not available during ski school time...and onaplataeu's youngest has possibly been put off a little bit by being pushed too hard - so they will undoubtedly assess her and put her in a higher class ...

I think if we could guaruntee that the 3 would be together in a smallish English group we would go for ESF, but it seems a lot to leave to chance!!
snow report
loveski wrote:
Thank you for all your replies Smile

We will look into evo2 - certainly a possibility!........

My only "problem" is that the 5x5 doesnt fit with the afternoon childcare, aals that (from memory) private lessons are not available during ski school time...

Worth giving Evo2 a ring on that score.
snow report
loveski, are you travelling with a Tour operator ?
ski holidays
bug - the best laid plans..

Newgen only open in vallandry on sunday 21st, and the VE is only open from the 20th (sat) which rules out my Evo2 suggestion above.

I want some lessons w/c 14th or 15th - I guess I'll be skiing round to 1800 then and booking with anyone other then ESF..
snow conditions
bertie bassett, Give Spirit 1950 a ring, they will probably be open, easy enough form 1950 to meet anywhere in Les Arcs?

http://www.spirit1950.com/
ski holidays
bertie bassett, I used Darentasia I few seasons ago for a 2hr private lesson for myself - if they're open they were pretty good ......ie excellent command of English, reasonably priced, flexible ( even offered a 12-2 slot so that I benefitted from the slopes at their quietest ) and used some some fairly innovative techniques to get the point across.....
snow report
Cheers Timberwolf, TFC

Both a good plan - I was going to go for group lessons as skiing wise I'm not that far past 'bend ze knees'..

i guess I'll just slide around on the 1st weekend and see which is open, and which has the prettiest girlie instructors wink
ski holidays
bertie bassett, if you need to speed up, just follow the tight black racing pants Shocked
ski holidays
We are going with Ski Beat...

Spirit Looks fantastic (even if their website is a little hard to read - I could teach them a thing or too there Wink!) - BUT I am guessing getting little kids to 1950 would be completely out of the question.... If I remember correctly it is a quite a zig zag across to 1950 from peisey.... (not feasible with 1m skis doing snowploughs on blue runs for 9.30am...)
ski holidays
loveski, I think ski beat usually use ESF- seen the nannies and parents at the pick up..

why not go with the flow and use an easily accessible ski school?
snow report
Looks like we are stuck with ESF (have to say no problem with instruction to date, just inflexible re: timings, especially for older children who want to ski more).. Evo2 do look good, just not happy about having a child the other side of the valley, relying on the VE to come back! Confused

Timberwolf
- Second what Bertie Bassett said - lots of cries of 'slow down' when they get off the chair lift and can't be bothered to wait for the grown ups to 'faff' with gloves, goggles etc. and then roll their eyes when you opt for the red and not the black!!
snow report
Why I asked loveski, is because Ski Beat will have some influence when it comes to your original questions about grouping of the children - Just ask them, and it may well be possible. BTW I have stayed in one of the Ski Beat chalets in Plan Peisey ( Herrison ) and had a great trip....

onaplateau, Laughing
snow report
Timberwolf,thanks for this!!

We will ask them...
This will be our third year with ski beat to the same resort !!!!

We LOVED our chalet hosts last year, so are going back to be in their chalet again this year...!!! (and the skiing is not bad!)
First year Vanoise was open and we only went over to LP on the last day, last yr no VE, so next yr hopefully we will do a fair bit of LP and as an added advantage have lovely chalet hosts and, we know, great food Smile Smile Smile
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy