Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Is St Anton ok for a boarder?

Poster: A snowHead
I'm going to Stuben at end of Feb with my wife and 3 kids (who can all ski) plus my brother in law, wife and their 3. 2 of his kids have converted to boarding, 1 is good and the other just getting to grips with it. Not being a boarder I am aware of a couple of flattish sections around Stuben, but just wondered if this was too much of a problem, ie should I be telling them to pack their skis instead?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boabski, sorry never been to St Anton, Rayscoops has been to a few places in Austria, maybe he can answer for you.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Forgot to ask also - which areas are best in region for boarding. I'm assuming Lech and Rendl and pretty good for them as the slopes are pretty good, no drag lifts and have their own parks?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
boabski, never been to Stuben so no idea,

St Anton - the only bit that sticks in my mind is the Blue in the valley between Galzig and Gampen mountains which is the only (real) run back to st Anton from Glazig - this Blue becomes a bit flat but the biggest problem is that it is like a funnel and a real bun fight at 3 pm onwards. Nothing really jumps to mind otherwiswe that says 'no do not board' and I avoid drags and did not really notice many of them either, maybe the only comment is that St Anton generally is considered not ideal for beginners either on skis or on a board. Rendl was quite good on a board if i remember correctly and the runs to St Cristoph and Rauz were nice wide blues, so it is easy to get back from St Anton to Stuben for you either on a board or skis Very Happy
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
boabski, Stuben is perfect for slding gear of all kinds. Where are these flat sections Puzzled The only flatish bit is the connection from Alpe Rauz to Stuben when coming over from St.A. It's steep enough for me to have nearly killed myself by falling into the stream one April day Toofy Grin Stuben is the portal to the best off-piste in the Arlberg, and it's almost always nearly empty even when St. A is absolutely crawling wink

Anyway, just tell them to walk. The're young, they can take it!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Steilhang, The flattish bit was the bit you were talking about, also some of ths skiing around Zurs coming from the Lech side. But you're totally right, let them walk
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Isn't Galzig to the Schindlergrat lift tricky for a boarder? Even for skiers it's a fast schuss downhill and then often a bit of a pole up to the lift. Also the blue (no 12?) that feedss into the top of happy valley is pretty flat.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
DB, Know the ones you mean, but they're a bit of a pain for us skiers too
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
DB wrote:
Isn't Galzig to the Schindlergrat lift tricky for a boarder? Even for skiers it's a fast schuss downhill and then often a bit of a pole up to the lift. Also the blue (no 12?) that feedss into the top of happy valley is pretty flat.
My sympathy neurons somehow don't get fired up by this information. They chose to fasten both feet together in a manner that makes it impossible to move around on the flat... Let them live with their decision rolling eyes
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
boabski, I've heard they shoot the slowest ones in the Arlberg, I'm reliably informed this makes them run instead of walking, just take the skis Madeye-Smiley Little Angel snowHead
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Stuben, has nursery slopes for the beginners in your groups, stuben is a great area for boarding both on and off piste, but wrap up warm because stuben always seems to be about 10 degrees colder than everywhere else. you can easily make it over to anton area and zurs/lech is also just a bus ride away. try and take the bus to sonnenkopf too, a fantastically quiet little mountain during the week, fairly gentle but some very easyily accessible between the piste off piste for all abilities to have fun on and a stunning home run to the bottom on a trail down through the trees, the blue not the red. there are also a couple of great places to eat in Stuben, Willi's Pilsstuben is fab + inexpensive and the Berghausstuben is good too.
Like all ski areas there are a couple of flats... the mentioned shlep upto shindler..... and the one between valfagehr and happy valley.... but they are not that bad and it's not like you have to keep using those runs.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
agreed with all the above. For the nervouse ones then go upto lech as it's great confidence builder (apart from the bottom 20m of the main blue!)

happy valley home is a nightmare, the bit where all the boarders run out of va-va voom just as the uphill comes in and then there's an adverse camber causing everyone to stop, is probably a great source of accidents. Can't they just get it re-graded a little over the summer to solve these issues - the larger french resorts would.

Rendl is great on a board in fresh pow - spent a couple of days there in March this year just floating, the

Stuben is cool - but sonnekopf is rubbish don't go there wink
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
sonnenkopf is not rubbish..... i cannot agree, small, brilliant snow, quiet pistes, easy off piste for beginner medium, good off piste for experts too, stunning scenery. its worth the trip, i must have had about 100 days in sonny and i love it, skiing or boarding.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hsdee, Ssshhhhhhh. I don't think bertie bassett, wants the world to know. It's all in your imagination wink
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
hsdee wrote:
sonnenkopf is not rubbish..... i cannot agree, small, brilliant snow, quiet pistes, easy off piste for beginner medium, good off piste for experts too, stunning scenery. its worth the trip, i must have had about 100 days in sonny and i love it, skiing or boarding.

wow never picked up on how good Sonnenkopf is, i must post it in 'Resorts' section to see what every one thinks ? wink
snow conditions
Sonnenkopf is clearly a kiddies resort, real boarders go to Mayrhofen.

Scroll down to
"Ski Resorts with the Best Boarding in Austria"
http://www.j2ski.com/ski_resorts/Austria/TopAustrianSkiResorts.html
ski holidays
rayscoops, what was i thinking.... it's a shocking place, antiquated, rubbish food, dodgy ski suits...... though i would be the first to admit you could n't do a week there, but a day is fine.
ski holidays
In addition to the flat bits already mentioned I reckon the biggest pain is the schuss from Valfagherbahn which is the lift from Stuben into the St Anton area. If you want to make it up the hill you need to ski in the tuck position from the moment you see where you are going. Boarders WILL walk for min 5 mins and most skiers need to pole.

The talk about the happy valley 3pm and later carnage is probably irrelevent for boabski as at that time you'd be on your way back to Stuben.

There are one or two few flat sections in Stuben but not a big problem if you can keep your speed up.

In sonnenkopf there are quite a few flat sections but it is a gem for the aspiring off-pister and a great quiet family area

Be careful in lech as there is a blue which is a flat as pancake for a long way. But the White Circle route is a must and includes an "itinerary" which the kids will just love (the "'s are coz it's used so much its almost a piste) . Loadsa natural play areas at the side on the long route down to Zug. But look out JUST before you get to Zug - it is usually icy

The Park at Rendl is basic (a couple of kickers and a grinding rail is all I think) but the Rendl area is the best boarder-friendly area in St A

In summary although the St Anton area is not ideal for boarders it has great variation and exciting near-piste fun for the kids with mini-jump options which most kids love.

Enjoy!
snow report
B00thy, Er, I will be heading down Happy Valley on my way to the Moos, with or without the kids Toofy Grin
snow report
B00thy wrote:
But the White Circle route is a must and includes an "itinerary" which the kids will just love (the "'s are coz it's used so much its almost a piste) . Loadsa natural play areas at the side on the long route down to Zug. But look out JUST before you get to Zug - it is usually icy

Yes - the white circle is a must, but a couple of points

When you get off the bus in Zurs (assuming you're coming from Stuben/St. A that were most people get off) then DONT be termpted to go up the Trittkpf cable car for a 'warm-up run' - as the red 7 in the morning is like boarding corrugated cardboard - it's horrible!! Agree also with the comments about Zug, spun out there myself on the ice. To kill some time in lech the the red itineraries from the top of the Zuger Hochlicht are fun.

The return to Zurs requires a 'no way out drag lift' - the Schuttboden. By no way out, I mean it's a drag lift that you have to get up and there isn't an alternative option if you fail to complete it other than walking up the blue. For me so far I've not completed the circle being put off by that drag, but usually spend the afternoon 'random boarding' around the 'main bowl' above lech, and then joining the bunfight for the skibus home...
snow report
bertie bassett,

you can sneak past the shuttboden by coming down the blue from rufikopf, then cut off piste to the top of shuttboden before the piste turns sharp right, there is often a fairly well worn track, useful when one is late back towards zurs after a long lunch or you dont fancy the t bar.
snow conditions
B00thy wrote:
In addition to the flat bits already mentioned I reckon the biggest pain is the schuss from Valfagherbahn which is the lift from Stuben into the St Anton area. If you want to make it up the hill you need to ski in the tuck position from the moment you see where you are going. Boarders WILL walk for min 5 mins and most skiers need to pole.

I have to agree with you. This is the only bit snowboarders will suffer and have to walk. Otherwise you'll be fine, it's a great area to be/ski Smile.
snow report
boabski, drop down under the gondola on the intinerary roiute instead wink
snow report
Bloody hope so as Im off out there in March with 2 boarders.
latest report
rayscoops wrote:
boabski, drop down under the gondola on the intinerary roiute instead wink

Not sure where you mean here. No Gondola near this area is there? You can ride off-piste (down variable terrain) to Alnemadherbahn then take that up followed by an itinerary near-piste route across the Schindlerhang and end up dropping onto the finish of the uphill section. Otherwise its the schuss I think
snow report
B00thy, the red dotted line under the new main Galzig lift - you can drop in from the bottom of the blue ride under it from the bottom of a blue run that is by the side of it.

http://ski.intermaps.com/skiarlberg/en_ost.html
ski holidays
Sure, that's known as Black Osthang. Can be great after dumps. But do NOT try and go into what looks like a bowl. Wait till Blue Osthang has run its course, then turn right

But we may have been talking at cross purposes. You mentioned dropping in under the Gondola when I was talking about the big schuss. But I see now you were providing that as a Happy Valley Option. Sorry Embarassed

Actually Unhappy Valley as it's known after 3pm can sometimes be trickier than the steep options!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy