Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

French Alps forecast: Big snow on the way later this week

Poster: A snowHead
Big snow is forecast - apparently weather models look very solid for a significant fall of snow at all altitudes across the French Alps. A commentator has suggested that it might be comparable to the bumper falls of November 2005...
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Big snow predicted here for the weekend, well down into the valley.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yippee!!! Very Happy
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh Shite. Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
under a new name, did you used to have a different name?
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Except in the Southern French alps, which might not join the party, this is looking alpine-wide. Western Austria and the Northern flank of the Swiss alps are right in the firing line for a hefty old bit of dumpage. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snorkel has been cleaned.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
And not just the Alps, either. from metoffice.gov.uk

Risk of disruption Warning Valid
UK regions: Orkney & Shetland
Grampian
Highlands & Eilean Siar
Severe Gales, Blizzards & Heavy Snow Fri 21 Nov
There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of northern and northeastern Scotland. Northerly winds will bring heavy snow showers to parts of north and northeastern Scotland. Snow showers and strong winds may cause blizzard conditions. Accumulations of 2 to 5 cms are likely, especially over hills. North to northwesterly winds could reach 70 mph at times particularly over northeastern parts of Scotland and the Northern Isles.

Issued at: 1014 Tue 18 Nov

UK regions: East of England
Yorkshire & Humber
East Midlands
SW Scotland, Lothian & Borders
Orkney & Shetland
Grampian
Highlands & Eilean Siar
North East England
Severe Gales, Blizzards & Heavy Snow Sat 22 Nov
There is a moderate risk of a severe weather event affecting parts of northern and eastern Scotland and many eastern coastal areas of England. Heavy snow showers will bring accumulations of 2 cm locally and perhaps up to 5 cms over hills. Strong winds will give blizzard conditions at times especially over hills. Winds may gust to 70mph in exposed coastal and hilly areas.

Issued at: 1426 Tue 18 Nov
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thats global warming for you. Were all doomed, skiing is a dying sport. snowHead
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
Thats global warming for you. Were all doomed, skiing is a dying sport. snowHead

It's just annoying that it happens in November (no base) and April (when it warms again pretty quickly) and not at all in January when it's cold. Twisted Evil
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I've just had the snow-forecast mail for Samoens - they are predicting over a metre at 1600m over the coming days, theres a base for you snowHead I know the predictions are usually wildly off, but it's a nice dream. Should last until Jan when I go if only the temps stay low! Laughing
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I don't want to be a stick in the mud amongst all this doom mongering but there is already a base down to at least 2000m, and according to the webcams, maybe down to 1500m.

Also, if you don't have dumps how do you geenrate a good base?

The forecast for the weekend looks epic and hasn't really changed all week. Looking fairly certain.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parlor, this will be the base...
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
under a new name, and a good base to boot. All this Al Gore crap! We are going to have good seasons and bad seasons, the clue for people like him is in the statement, IT IS SEASONAL!!!!!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
under a new name, fingers crossed!
ski holidays
Roy Hockley, having an occasional good season (and we don't even know if this is one yet!) doesn't render all of the evidence suggesting global climate change immediately redundant. Like when every now and again somebody will go 'ha! see! my gran lived to be 109 and she smoked a pipe all her life!".

Still, good news about all this snow, eh?
ski holidays
Ah I see you believe the new religion. I knew I would find someone who did, sooner or later.

Can anyone tell me in which period the climate did not change?
ski holidays
bar shaker,

Its all about speed of change not the change itself, which is of course natural although we have not seen a +5c warming for 60 million or so years. Ratchiting up the temp by that much in 100 or so years is prob not wise Twisted Evil
ski holidays
bar shaker,

Its all about speed of change not the change itself, which is of course natural although we have not seen a +5c warming for 60 million or so years. Ratchiting up the temp by that much in 100 or so years is prob not wise Twisted Evil
ski holidays
bar shaker,

latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
JimSearle, It depends whose statistics you believe. I am a sceptic.
snow conditions
stevo_the_saddler wrote:
I am a sceptic.

As a sceptic, whose figures to you believe?
latest report
stevo_the_saddler,

You live down in Crawford Texas with the other sceptic??? Laughing Laughing snowHead
snow conditions
I believe no-one snowHead , I just get on with life and let NATURE take its toll - the world has always had temperature variations, whether I pay £5 extra tax on my flights or x% "green" tax on this or that will not make a jot of difference to the world temps IMHO. "Global Warming" can definately be argued against, "Climate Change" which is much more vague is a better term. I don't doubt that the worlds temps are changing - what I do doubt are the reasons being given by the "popular" media. I suspect this has been done to death elsewhere and is possibly a "thread hijack" in the making.
ski holidays
JimSearle, Er, if you are assuming I think on the lines of that muppet - think again.
latest report
stevo_the_saddler, I see. No command of the statistics but I see you are a master of "inverted commas".
snow report
"sorry"
snow report
stevo_the_saddler, Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
rob@rar, "mainstream" climate scientists have had their statistics ripped to shreds by academic statisticians. There is more than one side to the debate (in fact, it would be better to talk of a wide spread of academic opinion rather than a starkly polarised debate).
latest report
JimSearle,

You are starting to sound repetitive. Laughing

I've never heard 5deg or 100 years mentioned, but perhaps you got that from a tree hugger down the pub. Besides, are we comparing records in the past thousand years, in a plateau between ice ages, or are we comparing them with our exit/entry to a previous ice age. The next one is overdue.

Or perhaps I walk to work, to counter the effects of China's programme to build 2400 new coal fired power stations?

Global warming, Climate Change, call it what you will, is an excuse for western governments to tax its people more. Nothing else. Who is the International Panel on Climate Change financed by?... Western governments. Call me a conspiracy pedaller if you will, but don't take away my patio heaters.

If anyone wanted to change the amount of CO2 being put in the atmosphere, they would stop economic development in China and India. Where was your tv made, your kettle, your skiing boots? The population of the planet is increasing dramatically, that's what's putting the CO2 up there and if the small amount we put out as a nation, compared to what mother nature puts out, is causing this then we are all doomed unless we start nuking the third world. Outside the IPCC, there is far from consensus, not that you get to hear much away from the 'official line'.

Sorry mate, but another big volcano goes off and its an ice age for all of us. Life's too short to worry about whether you book one flight next year of four.

If you want to do your bit though, hey, its a free world. Just don't stop me doing what I do.

That said, bring on the snow snowHead
snow report
bar shaker,

Laughing No the 5c by 2100 is not quite the worst case scenario. Published by the intergovermental panel on climate change, a UN body staffed by the worlds most prominant climate scientists. But hey maybe i should ignore all those PHd's and believe you Shocked Or maybe not Laughing Laughing snowHead

Me I'd be building Nuclear power stations as fast as possible......but we have had that agument on here before, with stats included Twisted Evil
latest report
Also, using Recycled paper means less trees are being planted for virgin fibre - the trees planted to produce paper are very good at taking CO2 out of the atmosphere, but hey, why let that get in the way of a good argument rolling eyes bar shaker, you put it all much better than me with less "inverted commas", thanks Razz
ski holidays
This thread has gone off piste. "Mods" please delete.
ski holidays
Quote:

a conspiracy pedaller

Conspiracy is some new brand of mountain bike, I take it? Laughing
latest report
red 27, Trying to censor us now NehNeh snowHead
ski holidays
What's happened to this thread - personally I liked the notion of BIG SNOW FORECAST FOR LATER ON THIS WEEK IN THE ALPS!!!!

Esp. as its only 3 and a bit weeks until I get taken there Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Megamum, We know we know wink
snow report
To get back on topic valloire had 7cm above 2000m on the westerly facing areas, only about 2cm in the village and most of that has gone but hopefully 50cm on sat and sunday.....
ski holidays
Val Thorens is looking good for the end of the week Toofy Grin
snow report
5 weeks for me, but I'm going have to leave in 4.

I've taken Jim's wisdom on board and have decided to cycle to the Alps.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy