Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

hi all need advice on what skis to buy

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
im 27 and ive been skiing for the last 14 years now, 1 or 2 weeks each year... i can handle all slopes at great speeds apart from moguls(these still seem to throw me around abit and i still suffer the breaking at the waist), my main strength is carving which im very bored of.im ok on easy off piste. im looking to start cracking the whip at the black moguls which i can do but they just make me look amuterish....i have a 7 year old little girl who will be on her 3rd week this year and is already on the black runs,,so i would like to think im quite good at skiing and teaching.....

after reading this info i would love u to recommend me some all round skis to suit me ....im not looking to spend more than £500

ps i go with 20 lads in january so its pretty fast skiing.....i currently own street racers,,,,which i think arent up 2 scratch,,,,maybe im wrong

pls help
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Lets start discussion with Salomon X Wing series. Who has different opinion?
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I am looking at the x wings as well as k2 xplorers which look to be of a similar ilk
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
i've not been on many different skis, but i have been on streetracers (streetracer 10) and they were gash. Maybe i was just to big for them.

jim9t, you're probably a better skier than me by the sounds of it, but i'll recommend the Head monster im82 and k2 apache xplorer of the skis i've been on.

Going by what others have said, also check out the volkl ac50. there's a good thread about them over on epicski.com http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=73978

mind you, you'll probably want something softer for moguls... personally, i don't get he fascination with moguls.

Others will be along to recommend other skis to you, you just need to try them out first.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
jim9t, the Xplorers didn't do anything for me - I preferred the Recons even though they're thinner at the waist.

Salomon Lords. I can't recommend them highly enough - they are EPIC planks.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
shoogly wrote:
but i'll recommend the Head monster im82

Great ski for hard or soft groomed and powder, but not a good choice if moguls turn you on (which for the OP it sounds like they do)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
shoogly wrote:
i've not been on many different skis, but i have been on streetracers (streetracer 10) and they were gash. Maybe i was just to big for them.
i agree with u...i tried a pair of Rossignol Zenith Z1 which quite a few of my mates brought and found them alot more forgiving....i must say that the street racers do carve well but arent forgiving i find they flap to much but i brought these some 5 years ago....

jim9t, you're probably a better skier than me by the sounds of it, but i'll recommend the Head monster im82 and k2 apache xplorer of the skis i've been on.
i doubt im a better skier than you.maybe crazier...im the best out of my friends but i have pushed myself ,,,,crashes galore to get where i am now..... i believe if u dont have crashes then your not pushing hard enough,,,,,,

Going by what others have said, also check out the volkl ac50. there's a good thread about them over on epicski.com http://forums.epicski.com/showthread.php?t=73978
mind you, you'll probably want something softer for moguls... personally, i don't get he fascination with moguls.
Others will be along to recommend other skis to you, you just need to try them out first.
its tough buying skis id have to try them out when i ski but the trouble is i dont want to waste money on rentals..maybe id b better of having a lesson for a day c what the instructor thinks the best ski for me is,,,,

im 5ft 9, and weigh 10st 7lb

ive also been reading about the best alround skis and these have popped up atomic metron b5, ac4s, and the m11 b5s any thoughts

volkl ac50s read well

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Thu 4-12-08 16:35; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Jim, I skied on K2 Axis X for 5 years or so and they served me well from starting intermediate through to high intermediate.

I grew out of them and wanted something to push me a bit further to encompass both on piste - still enjoying fast GS turns, but then give me the chance to make initial steps off piste... so I got some Scott Missions.

I was pretty hesitant at first coz of the added 89mm width under my foot which I wasn't used to but took them to Lech last year and literally was laughing out loud every single minute. They are superb and one hell of a difference from my old K2.

The thursday in Lech saw a foot of fresh powder, the first time I'd experienced it in 10 years and the skis were in their element.

I imagine they're not a specific mogul ski but for everything else I'd recommend them everytime for an all mountain, take me anywhere piece of kit.

FWIW, I had a day on the Head Monsters and Apache Recon 2 years ago in Courchevel and I'd personally have the Missions everytime.

'Spose you can't have a top end ski that suits absolutely every discipline of skiing to the max. It took me ages to find what suited me best, plenty of reading, plenty of bending peoples ears, but ultimately I ended up going to my nearest Brighams two or three times and questioning the folks there, then went to my local ski shop in Otley and quizzed the guy there before making my decision.

At the end of the day, its a flippin' lot of money your forking out and usually you won't be able to test em before you've bought em (and I don't count sliding down a 200m indoor slope as testing them!!!)

Good luck.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jim9t wrote:
..maybe id b better of having a lesson for a day c what the instructor thinks the best ski for me is,,,,

That is a very good idea, or just try a few 'hire' days from shops in resort, usually they're pretty good at letting you have half days testing at a hire rate.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
do skis come with warrenty...if so then i need to buy them in the uk.......this site should do a voting pole on best all round and frestyle and free ride
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
jim9t wrote:

ive also been reading about the best alround skis and these have popped up atomic metron b5, ac4s, and the m11 b5s any thoughts

volkl ac50s read well

Skied metron b5's in Les Arcs last year - loved them as great all round ski, but if I were you I'd try a selection in the conditions and piste/ off piste/ moguls you want to ski and see which works best for you.

Skis - it's a personal thing.... Shocked

Laughing
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy