Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chambery as a base

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Has anyone any feedback from using Chambery as a base for a very short trip. With a hired car its simple to get to loads of places, however just wondered if anyone has done this and has an opinion? Also eating out in Chambery, has anyone done that?

Thanks
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
lisach,

Can't think that Chambery is too close to anywhere. The drive to to Moutier would be via Albertville so its not close at all.
I doubt you could get anywhere within an hour, I may be mistaken and my guess is that the nearest resorts - no map, only memory - would be Valmorel, La Tania and maybe BSM for arc 1600, oh yes and Bride les Bains, for Meribel butthat would be another 35 mins up into the lift system, I think.

Having another think, maybe the small resorts on the way to Flumet might be the closest..
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
But on a one-off basis, it may be worth doing, just not daily, IMV
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
From Chambery you can reach the Espace Diamant (Les Saisies, Notre Dame de Bellecombe, Flumet, Val D'Arly, linked area) in less than an hour and a half, via Alberville (Chambery - Albertville very quick on motorway) but it would make a rather tedious commute. If you wanted a base near an airport with lots of options Geneva would be a much better bet, and far more flights, more reliable (both because of topography and because Geneva is immune from French ATC strikes)
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
lisach, if you don't want to stay in Bourg St Maurice or Moutiers, both of which are much more convenient for a short trip why not go to Annecy, lovely town, and La Clusaz is only about 40 mins away.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks JT, yes for such a short trip (2 days skiing) I am hoping it will work. (According to viaMichelin) within an hour is Valmorel which is one place we want to go to, if not the resorts south towards Le Corbier all appear to be less than an hours drive. Perhaps a hassle but as yet I can't find a place to stay near Moutiers as cheap as on offer as in Chambery - 30-40% cheaper. It will cost a little fuel/tolls but I am on a strict buget bearing in mind its Eurodisney at the end of the trip! I would consider Albertville but there are few cheap hotels.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
lisach, there's a FASTHOTEL in Albertville with rooms from 29Euros a night, well that's what it says on its sign, have a search on www.albertville.com

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 4-03-06 17:28; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks David@traxvax, I am very tempted by BSM and La Rosiere, however we have to be back in Paris by 21.00hrs on the Friday, I think Chambery has a connecting train service, I will check for BSM though. Annecy was my orginal plan to go to La Clusaz but for some reason I am worried that 3V will have better snow, maybe that is wrong and I should revert to the Annecy plan?
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Any of the 'Bauges' resorts are about 30-40mins from the centre of Chambéry, all very small though.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

for some reason I am worried that 3V will have better snow, maybe that is wrong

it would have been wrong for the season so far, for almost all the time! Annecy would also be within striking distance of several other worthwhile destinations, including Le Grand Bornand
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
lisach, Try St Jean de Maurienne as a base, it has several reasonably priced hotels, is only an hour from Chambery and has easy access to all the Les Sybelles resorts, St Sorlin, Le Corbier, Les Toussuire, etc. If necessary there is a train station also, not sure where you can get to directly though by rail.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
We had moutier as a short term base enroute to tignes this year. Very handy for 3 valleys.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
lisach wrote:
Has anyone any feedback from using Chambery as a base for a very short trip. With a hired car its simple to get to loads of places, however just wondered if anyone has done this and has an opinion? Also eating out in Chambery, has anyone done that?

Thanks

I live fairly close to Chambéry. Although on the face of it it Chamb looks like a reasonble plan, being the former capital of the Duchy of the Savoy, it is in reality a bit of a meagre town... un trou as the French would call it. Eating out can be very limited in the evening with most things shutting down very early as the French dissapear behind chinzt curtains by 8pm.

Nearest resorts are le Revard and la Feclaz, both of which I have enjoyed an afternoon at. Le Revard is long past its prime now. These resorts are about 30 minutes from the town center. Moutiers is probably about 40 minutes drive. You can get to the Collet d'Allevard in the Belledonne massif and to St Pierre de Chartreuse in the... well Chartreuse and the microresorts of Le Granier and Le Col de Marcieu are even closer. All timings assuming dry roads and out of the main rush hours.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
thanks davidof, still can't make up my mind and your comments may be swaying my decision to base ourselves outside Chambery. However for just two days its tough going finding hotels interested, maybe nearer the time? Save sending out 50+ emails, there seems to be little on offer, even Logis are drawing a blank especially with Moutiers. We have young kids so your comments suggesting un trou are a concern. I will take a look at the resorts you and those above mention.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A few years ago we stayed in BSM. Great base to ski from. Les Arc 'funny car' station is by the train station and takes you up to Arc 1600 in just a few minutes. Val and Tignes are 30min drive up the road and La Rosiere, St Foy are even closer. LP is also within striking distance either by car or the transarc express. The town is cheap for accomodation and food, but i am afraid the night life is what you will be giving up.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy