Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Replace boot liners, remould existing liners or new boots?

Poster: A snowHead
I bought my ski boots about 7 years ago and they've seen 7 or so weeks' use. The girl in the shop took a lot of time to get them right and I bought the boots she wanted to get me in if I could squeeze my foot into them - they were a bit more advanced than me but I could progress into them as my skills developed (or not!). I ended up with a pair of Tecnica 9X Innotec with a suitable footbed. I can't remember if the liner was heated to fit my foot or not.

They've been absolutely great, providing a good amount of support and control, and comfort as they're just the right size for my quite narrow feet. However on last holiday I noticed I was having to do the buckles up tighter on the boots to try and clamp my feet. The void within the liner where my foot goes seems to have enlarged - I guess the usage has compressed the liner? Is there any way of reversing this by heating up the old liner, or should I look at replacing the liner or get a new pair of boots? Or even just wear slightly thicker socks for this season (I wear thin technical socks at the moment)? I'd obviously prefer not to spend money needlessly when the boots themselves are in good nick.

As for me, I fit into that overarching category of intermediate skier, with the majority of skiing up until now taking place on-piste. However last holiday I was having a great deal of fun with gentle off-piste, jumps and the like so have bought a pair of wider twintip skis to enjoy. I do tend to be reasonably aggressive in style I suppose.

Any help would be much appreciated! Smile
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mfj197,

Over time the liners do compact and will deteriorate. Eventually, provided the outer shell is still OK you will have to replace the liners. Initially try using slightly thicker socks and yes you will have to use a tighter clip/buckle setting to compensate for the liners compacting.

In future to make the liners last longer always make sure they are dried out properly after each days use, I always remove the liners from the shells and use gentle heat to dry them out. Always do up the clips to maintain the shape of the plastic outer shells.

Reheating the liners generally doesn't help after the initial heat fitting.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Zip Fit Smile
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mfj197, Some buckles adjust and/or can be moved on the boot to allow them to be set tighter - that might be worth investigating before you have to pay out for a new liner
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for the advice folks. I usually (but not always) remove the liners from the boots to dry out after each day's skiing, which was why I thought there might be replaceable ones at a reasonable cost. Alex A, the Zipfit liners do look good but unfortunately they're nearly the cost of the boots themselves so probably aren't worth it for me at the moment. Do you use them? I think I'll give thicker socks a go this season - I know it's not the proper solution but it'll do at least to start off. Mind you, I'm out for 3 and a half weeks in total so I might have changed that view part way through!
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
mfj197, zipfit may be expensive, but IMO they are well worth it, they will outlast the shel of the boot but can be transfered to a new shell if you replace them.... best to check that the boot you have is the correct size in the first palce, if it is they are a very worth while investment
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
If they don't fall to pieces. NehNeh
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
SMALLZOOKEEPER wrote:
If they don't fall to pieces. NehNeh

you must be dealing with old stock mate Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
CEM, Don't know where my clients get them from. S&R mostly.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Thanks guys. I take it it's impossible to get replacement versions of the original liners?
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
mfj197 wrote:
Thanks guys. I take it it's impossible to get replacement versions of the original liners?

No chance
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Zip Fit Liners only come in half sizes according to the S&R brochure, is that correct?

The liners I need are a 26.0 size to fit into my 26.5 sized boot shell.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
they come in 25.5 26.5 27.5 etc

SMALLZOOKEEPER, then some of them will be using the older style classic liner rather than the newer GP or WC
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer, A 26.0 and a 26.5 Boot Shell is exactly the same size.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I had the same problem.

You can get specially shaped sticky backed neoprene to pad out the liners.

Nordica do a sheet with different shapes for different areas of the foot. You will only get this from a proper ski shop. Most ski shops in general have no idea about boot fitting.

I have been using a shop in Scotland for years, they have all the necessary tools for boot fitting and supplied me with the Nordica material.
www.banksofperth.com

If you really love the boots then you should invest in a set of Conformable foam liners. These are not to everybody's liking and will also need to be fitted by a "proper ski shop" otherwise they can easily mess up the foam injection.

I have since updated my boots. And the fit of new boots keeps getting better!
snow report
Spyderman,

I know that boot makers use one outer shell size for two liner sizes, in my case the 26.5 sized shell is used for the 26.0 and 26.5 sized boot. My boots are size 26.0.

My point is that the Zip Fit Liners will be either half a size too big (26.5) or too small (25.5) because they don't make them in the full size I need (26.0).

I also have a spare pair of size 26.0 liners (not from the original manufacturer) but the amount of padding in the spare liners is less than the original liners and therefore there is some movement of my foot in the boot. I am trying to establish how to find a replacement pair of liners, the answer may be that I have to have a foam injected pair of liners made to provide the correct fit.

I may investigate Downhill Sailor's "sticky backed neoprene" to pad out my spare liners. I had many years ago, a pair of Lange boots, that came supplied with shims which fitted into velcro closed pockets in the liner to pad out the liner.

CEM,

What are "GP" and "WC"?
snow conditions
welshflyer, in a lot of cases the 26.0 and 26.5 are the same liner as well, sometimes they put a little more padding in the saddle area of the liner to make it feel a little snugger but the length/width remain the same, often the only diifferences is the thickness of the insole and being as that gets ripped out if the boots are fitted then it makes no difference, bothSMALLZOOKEEPER and myself generally only carry either the whole or the half size as it makes no difference

if the shell is a 26.0/26.5 then normally the 26.5 zip fit will work just fine

the world cup W/C is the thinnest, and the GP Grand prix has around 10% more material in it, [approx 70grams per pair] the idea is that the W/C is for lower volume shells or higher volume feet in medium volume shells, the GP is better for higher volume shells or slimmer feet in medium volume shells

the W/C will go into a 98mm shell with little problem if there is volume available and there is a new liner in production called the Gara which will be for ultra low volume race shells it will be around next season after the final tests this year

sticky foam padding will help fill up a bit of space but is not relaly a permenant solution as the foam packs down pretty quickly. if i need to pack a liner for someoen i tend to use leather as it does not compress, and attach it to the lienr with contact cement...got to get in the correct place first time Toofy Grin

good luck
snow report
Isn't it supposed to be EXTREMELY painful getting foam injected liners??
snow conditions
anotherproblem, wouldn't say it has to be but Toofy Grin Shocked Shocked Toofy Grin it depends on the boot the foot and the tech, it is not the liner for everyone but neither is zip fit or thermo fit it all depends on the foot
snow report
Thanks all for the advice. Downhill Sailor, I like the sound of the Nordica sticky backed neoprene for padding out the liner - does this affix to the liner itself or to the inside of the boot? The Intuition liners mentioned on the other recent thread sound like they might be a possibility too. I'm out skiing at the beginning of February so will see how things are then and determine what to do next.
snow report
I too have a similar problem, also with Technica boots bought 7 years ago and now with 15 weeks on the clock. Often find that whilst ratchet 1 on the ankle and calf buckle is fine first thing, by about midday/early pm, I've re-clippped them to ratchet 3. The 2 lower buckles I rarely need to adjust.

I can feel some hardness from the shell around the top of the ankle, though it's not overly uncomfortable. I'm kinda loath to change what have to this point been very comfy boots, but with the heels beginning to wear perhaps a change is becomming overdue.
snow conditions
I've ordered the Nordica sticky-backed plastic from Banks of Perth as recommended by Downhill Sailor above. I don't think they ship very many of them as they weren't sure of the postage costs initially, but called me back with a quote. It's apparently a sheet of sticky-backed padding material (known as a Performance Kit if I heard correctly) with many different shaped sections to use if required, and is the grand sum of £9.99 plus P&P. I'll report back on the effectiveness of the solution soon!
ski holidays
mfj197,

Please can you tell me what the contact details for "Banks of Perth" are. I couldn't get the web link to work and I want the same kit to see if that can sort my liners out before resorting to spending more on new liners.
snow report
Banks of Perth
29 St John St,
Perth
Scotland
PH1 5SH

tel: 01738 624928

http://www.banksofperth.co.uk/
snow conditions
rikochet,

Thanks.
ski holidays
rikochet, beat me to it! Apparently it's 'one size fits all' so will be interesting to see how well it works, and how thick and resilient it is.
snow report
i'd go new boots - my latest pair are a revelation in terms of comfort, especially walking (head softwalk, unexpectedly - it does help) and little things like ease of putting on when cold, ease of fiddling with and doing up clips etc - even compared to a pair I think were only 5 years older. aj xx
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy