Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Steep On Piste

Poster: A snowHead
I’d be interested to know which Alpine resorts can offer a high proportion of steep on piste runs, coupled with a decently sized ski area. Any suggestions appreciated.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ummm, any large area? Chamonix?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Meiringen, very steep pistes!
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Maybe the Arlberg. A number of the "pistes" are classified as ski routes though many of these ski routes are regularly piste bashed. The Langerzug run above Lech is supposed to be the steepest prepared run in Austria though other places make similar claims.

The Direttissima piste in Kitzbühel has various warning signs up about a 70% slope and it also has the Hahnenkamm downhill course which seems to be the steepest regular downhill course, though it isnt an actual piste but a mixture of a red run and ski routes.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@skidm, I think you need to qualify your question a bit. Anywhere has steep slopes and if you are wanting steep, aren't you wanting offpiste?
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Verbier has by far the best onpiste and nearpiste steeps in the world.

No other resort comes close.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@under a new name, I’m looking for resorts which have plenty of steep pistes, not just a few. On solo trips I tend to board mainly on piste and more so when conditions are not favourable. Looking for challenging resorts when that scenario arises.

Thanks for the feedback so far. Not heard of Meiringen @Rogerdodger, will check it out.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skidm, Verbier certainly a thought. Chamonix certainly. Probs not Italy. No idea re Austria.

www.j2ski.com a useful resource.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Cortina has some amazingly steep pistes:- Faloria, Vertigine Blanca, Canalone, Stratondi. Half way down the Forcella there's a great section where you really don't want to fall. Unfortunately throughout the Dolomites they like to piste-bash their blacks.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
To a certain degree, looking for the steepest runs on piste is a bit like looking for the nicest food in Macdonalds.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Tignes
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@skidm, What is your definition of steep?
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Rogerdodger, I have skied in Meriengen and admittedly it was in the spring but I would not have described it as steep
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jellylegs, no it doesn't.

Mind you, maybe it does Happy . I did tear some scalp off on one of those ones you mention.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Carnt think of a lot of steep piste skiing at Tignes other than Sache and Torviere?
snow report
Sorry Rogerdoger I agree with rambotion. I think Meiringen is pretty gentle for the most part. Not where I’d go to seek out steeps. Neighbouring Engelberg is steeper and has more slopes.
ski holidays
@Peter S, Leisse, on the bumps? Terrific gradient.
snow conditions
@Kenzie, let’s say black, or red going on black, the pistes where you see many mentally composing themselves before dropping in. You know.... steep!
snow conditions
Meirhofen has the steepest piste doesn't it? Harakiri or something like that.
ski holidays
+1 for Chamonix although Argentiere has had major problems so access is maybe going to an issue.
snow conditions
Guys, I think in this case, there’s steep and there’s steep. “Red going on black” is not going to be on the same bit of the spectrum as you freeriders... It’s like for hikers, steep is a scramble, but a climber won’t consider that so until they’re on an overhang.

@skidm, any resort where you look at the map and don’t see a sea of blue and green. St Anton is a good shout.
snow report
under a new name wrote:
@jellylegs, no it doesn't.

Mind you, maybe it does Happy . I did tear some scalp off on one of those ones you mention.

Your beloved Chamonix does have numerous opportunities for steep skiing, but I don't remember it having numerous steep groomed pistes [in close proximity] like Cortina. I believe that's what the OP is looking for?
ski holidays
@skidm,

Another vote for Cortina d ampezzo in the upper slopes of Tofana area. Very steep for long distances. You need guts and great skill and strength to ski at speed here. Runs you have to fully commit to. Too steep, too long, too icy and too scary for the vast majority of skiers.
The implications of it all going wrong you really don't want to entertain.
Staggering, staggering mountain scenery.
Lower runs above the Tofano area, very shallow and not that interesting.
snow report
Maybe you need to go stateside. “Too advanced,” reads a review by Greg from Los Angeles. “I’d heard Snowbird is a tough mountain, but this is ridiculous. It felt like every trail was a steep chute or littered with tree wells. How is anyone supposed to ride in that? Not fun!”

ski holidays
Mürren. It's all steep.
latest report
Chamonix has the best and steepest offpiste in the world.

Verbier has the best and steepest onpiste and nearpiste (itineraries) in the world.

No serious freeriders with cred are hanging out in Cortina, Murren or Tignes. They are for vacationers.
snow report
skidm wrote:
I’d be interested to know which Alpine resorts can offer a high proportion of steep on piste runs, coupled with a decently sized ski area. Any suggestions appreciated.

Whitegold wrote:
Chamonix has the best and steepest offpiste in the world.

Verbier has the best and steepest onpiste and nearpiste (itineraries) in the world.

No serious freeriders with cred are hanging out in Cortina, Murren or Tignes. They are for vacationers.

OP is asking for on piste, not freeride. 99% of people on here are vacationers BTW.
ski holidays
Agree with the comments about St Anton & Cortina. Silver Star in BC as well. Black "groomed runs" aka pistes in the US are rare. Note that the definition of "piste" in Europe means its been mowed. In NA you must look at a grooming report to be sure they did it. Green runs and roads are reliably groomed; black runs are rarely or irregularly groomed by comparison. (BTW I take your "steep" to mean a run where you must control speed with every turn..you can't just point 'em.)
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This is a good one if you like moguls!

snow conditions
@skidm, if your concern is to have interesting places to go when you’re on a solo trip, you could contemplate turning that solo trip into a group trip by joining some sort of off piste course. Then you’ve got loads of options to go as steep as you like.

Agreed that meiringen isn’t memorably steep. There was one black run that felt comically steep and icy on a day where there was incredible fog, but it good light it was fine. It’s also not large enough to be considered a ‘decently sized ski area’; not compared with Arlberg, Tignes, or most of the others mentioned here already.
snow report
skidm wrote:
@Kenzie, let’s say black, or red going on black, the pistes where you see many mentally composing themselves before dropping in. You know.... steep!

One person's 'too steep for me' is another's 'had to flat-line it'.
Also, one resort's red will be another resort's black.
The best advice I can give is to choose a large ski area (eg Espace Killy, Paradiski), which will have a large range of steepness amongst its pistes. Then you should be able to find those pistes that are your personal - you know .... steep! snowHead
snow report
@HotDogger, argentiere is not a major issue.
snow conditions
Glad to hear it. Is it possible to get uplift to Grand Montets without the mid station?
snow report
HotDogger wrote:
Glad to hear it. Is it possible to get uplift to Grand Montets without the mid station?

Nope glacier is out for this season. You’re limited to Bochard or Herse.
snow report
@BobinCH, meaning, 99% (could be wrong on number) of pistes are open, Lavanchey is open ...

So no big issue for most people...
snow conditions
Mürren is not steep. At all.
snow report
Why do you want steep piste on a board? Find a bowl & go off piste.
snow conditions
Corrina has two. The rest is pretty easy.

Resorts with lots of steep on piste?

Zermatt
Tignes
Courchevel has a fair bit
St Anton
Ischgl
Tonale - south side
Val di Fassa - a fair bit
Verbier
Avoriaz
Brenner Pass
Stowe
Whistler
Jackson Hole
ski holidays
Quote:

Whistler

The saddle is pretty steep, Dave Murray in sections. Other than that there's nothing that stands out as steep and is groomed regularly. Lower mcconkeys fits the bill but is rarely groomed. Most of the runs marked as blacks are rarely if ever groomed - which seems the norm for North America.

Kicking horse has some nice steep pisted runs, although the quality of grooming can be a little questionable and the real highlights are off piste steeps.
snow conditions
Kronplatz has 5 black pistes, one of which I remember being quite steep - Piculin - 72% - voted the best black run in Europe in 2016.

If you get your skates on early, you can ski Kronplatz from any of the Sella Ronda resorts via the bus from La Vila and be back in time for a beer at 4:30pm.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy