Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trips in the Maurienne valley

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
We're going to be off to Valmeinier/Valloire and I was wondering which other Maurienne areas snowheads might recommend if we decide to have a day trip for reasons of a) overcrowding b) weather or snow quality or c) general malaise/change of scenery.

Have spotten that La Norma, Les Karellis, Orelle (for 3Vs/Val Thorens), Val Cenis and Aussois are all within range, as is the edge of Les Sybelles, just about. Any others I've missed?

Be interested to hear any thoughts.

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Mon 10-11-08 17:24; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
paulio, I've been to St Sorlin D'Arves in the Les Sybelles area a couple of times. Trip report here.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Try La Norma and Les Karrellis- both well worth a vist however the Col de telegraph won`t be a fun drive in bad conditions ,Val Cenis will be better this season as it is now linked to the super little resort of Termigion and just up the road is Bonneval with the best quality snow in the valley.The valley did a 5 day multi resort pass last season which offers excellent value for money and gives a discount to Orelle.Ps the worst day trip we did was to Orelle and Val Thorens unless snow conditions are bad low down don`t waste your money and if itis extremley cold try Aussois as all slopes are south facing so good for mid winter sunshine.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
paulio, we went to Valloire in 07 and 08 and intended to explore the Maurienne Valley both times but didn't because we had good sun and snow where we were! I think we were a bit too lazy to get up earlier/drive/be organised but it was a tempting thought and I'd still like to explore the other resorts. We went at Feb half term and didn't have a problem with crowds once we'd worked out timing/locations. It's a great place to ski and the locals are very friendly.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone so far!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
My favourites are Val Cenis and Val Frejus (the latter above Modane - roughly over the Frejus tunnel). They both have good off piste as well. I don't know why Val Frejus isn't better known.
Smaller but worth a visit is Bonneval sur Arc (at the top of the valley, so a bit further ) which you can ski to from the back of of the Fornet skiing (Val d'Isere).

All of these are classed as Haute Maurienne. I don't know the Lower Maurienne (ie East of Modane) resorts.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Hi,

I've skied at St Sorlin d'Arves and Albiez-Le Vieux. Albiez is probably good for 1/2 a day unless you're a complete beginner. You could try La Toussuire too - I'm up there next week doing some training work.

The link from Orelle into Val Thorens (and the 3 Valleys) is good for a day out. Much lower down the valley you've got St Francoise Longchamps that links with Valmorel (in the Tarentaise) but that's a long way from Valloire. La Norma's very small. Aussois could be good as it's south facing for those freezing early season days. I've only walked in the hills above and not skied there though.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Les Karellis is closest I think and OK, we generally go to Orelle for some 3V motorway action (its where friends always want to go!), its about a 35 min drive and has easy parking right next to the gondola. Will hopefully try Les Sybelles this year as have never been. Just a word of caution, many of the westerly and north westerly storms are pretty much dumped out by the time they reach the Haute Maurienne so La Norma, Aussois, Val Cenis etc often have a little less snow than the resorts at the western edge of the Maurienne if the weather is coming from the west, OTH they benefit from anything coming from the Italien side (E/SE) and all usually have pretty good snow cover.

snowball,

Did you really like Val Frejus, we went for a day in the first week of last April, did not like it at all, lifts seemed old and slow (i hated that bubble that takes you up to the top of the mt) and the snow was in no where near as good shape as Valloire, it just felt a bit "worn out", as did I at the end of the day! Do you think I caught it on a bad day and should give it another go?
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
JimSearle
Well, as usual we were skiing almost entirely off piste and there were many good long slopes - a few quite steep - and tree skiing, and interesting gulleys

It seemed a reasonable size resort with some big sweeping runs:

Much more substantial than La Norma and Aussois despite there being only a small number of (quite long) lifts. I admit, though, it might be better for a day trip than a long stay. See piste map
It had snowed a day or two before - but we saw no other tracks off piste (except right near the pistes) till near the end of the day when half a dozen tracks crossed ours. When we jokingly accused our guide of finding the crowd he said they were ours from the morning. Clearly the snow at the time we went has coloured both our judgements.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I think Valloire is Lower Maurienne, which I don't know.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
This is all good, cheers everyone.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
See also all the Val Cenis threads - including this and a more recent one.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snowball,

By the look of your phots you had much better snow than us! If you liked Val Frejus you should try Valloire, bigger ski area, nicer village, and generally get a little more snow as its a bit further west, but has managed to maintain its "proper" mountain village feel.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
We did a good route at Bonneval from the top going down a steep couloir between cliffs and arriving at the road 2 miles or so back down the valley.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy