Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Infomation of Montafon Area

Poster: A snowHead
Dear all

I met a skier in St Anton last year, and informed me Montafon which is a great ski area. He recommended me to stay in Schruns. However, I search the information on internet this few days, I found that the ski area should be Gargellen and St Gallenkirch but Schruns is a little away from the ski area. So, anyone can give me some info to me about the area.

1) how many ski areas in there and how many ski ranges are covered by the Montafon ski pass.
2) which village is the biggest one and the convenience place for skiing.
3) how many days will spend on skiing over all the pistes or the area.
4) due to chalet rental as weekly basis, any ski area that are next to the Montafon is a good place for skiing in case i difficult to spend a week in Montafon.
5) i am a budget traveller, if possible, please give me some info for chalets which are available for cooking.

Finally, thanks to all
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
ftkl Welcome to snow heads
I have visited the montafon many times but not in the last 10 years. It is a fantastic area for skiing and much cheaper than St Anton, but the nightlift is limited and not like St Anton at all. The cheapest option is to either find a self catering apartment (either thro the tourist office or interhome) or there are many private houses that do bed and breakfast at a reasonable price. It was possible to eat cheaply at the Spar in Schruns. There are 4/5 areas in the valley covered on the pass and should easly keep you amused for a week or more.

I would recommend the area highly for a keen budget skier not looking for nightlife.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Hi jbob

I booked a chalet in kitzbuhel throught interhome and one in st anton by my searching over internet. I found that I have saved 1/3 money if i can directly contact to chalet hosts.

so, do you have any information of place to stay. if yes, please send to me in here or private message me.

regards
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
www.stgallenkirch.at/ViewPage.asp?Site=STGALLENKIRCH&PageID=1&lang=199

The tourist office will send you a very comprehensive book containing ALL the accommodation. This is for St Gallenkirch, Schruns is a better base but the private houses are strung all along the valley, if you have no car then staying in one of the towns is best.

http://www.montafon.at/ViewPage.asp?Site=MONTAFON&PageID=1&lang=199
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thank you for your advice

By the way, do you know St Moritz, Switzerland? I am also interested to the place and may spend a few days there. If you have other recommends, please let me know.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I could be wrong but if one is after a sizeable resort of similar standing as St Anton/Lech/Zurs and not far away from it then Ischgl/Samnaun would be the logical choice. It is in the Silvretta too.

As for St. Moritz I could only comment on it after this trip.

Bergfex is the site I have been using for all skiing non-French resorts. The information on accommodation and piste information have been top notch based on the several seasons I have tried. The top 10 list of each country is a good source of information.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewpost.php?p=909781

Been to Montafon twice now ,and I'm a big fan. It's so much cheaper than St Anton! I think the skiing there is absolutely brilliant, plenty of both on and off piste stuff. As everyone has said, don't be going there for night life. The Apres ski however is still good on the mountain.

We stayed in St Gallenkirch for a week, and skiied pretty hard. There was enough there to keep us busy for a week easily.

Here's where we stayed - but it's no good if you don't have your own transport. Otherwise it's brilliant. It's 2km from Schruns, which to be fair is the place to be.

http://www.daerfli.com/

*Please do not make this area too popular as I want it to remain as it is!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I stayed in Schruns when I visited last year. I found it quite convenient for the other areas in Montafon. It's also much prettier than St Gallenkirch and Gaschurn! Gargellen is out on a limb slightly, off the main valley. I wouldn't recommend it as a base for this reason alone. Nice are though.

A word of warning - I think the tourist office is trying to promote the area as family friendly, by downgrading the runs to make them appear easier than they really are. As a result a lot of the blue runs are very steep and/or tricky. I wouldn't recommend these resorts for timid skiers, despite the high numbers of blue runs showing on the piste map.

If you liked St Anton I don't imagine this will be a problem for you!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
ftkl,
If you are in Hong Kong why not try Japan?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
lrx28 wrote:
I stayed in Schruns when I visited last year. I found it quite convenient for the other areas in Montafon. It's also much prettier than St Gallenkirch and Gaschurn! Gargellen is out on a limb slightly, off the main valley. I wouldn't recommend it as a base for this reason alone. Nice are though.

A word of warning - I think the tourist office is trying to promote the area as family friendly, by downgrading the runs to make them appear easier than they really are. As a result a lot of the blue runs are very steep and/or tricky. I wouldn't recommend these resorts for timid skiers, despite the high numbers of blue runs showing on the piste map.

Yes I would agree with this 100%. Its a lovely area but not ideal as a second trip (and certainly not for beginners). True there are some easy runs high above Schruns but they take some getting to. There is also a very very long green down through the forest that is easy but long and gets well used, not marked on the piste map until you reach the top of the cable car for some reason.

Schruns is a nice town, with a fantastic Italian Restaurant, brilliant Calzone.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
The whole area does look fantastic for skiing. I really want to go. I assume they get similar snowfall amounts to the Arlberg/Ischgl and teh like that are in that part of Austria?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
japan - I have been a few ski areas and the budget is lower than europe a bit if u book half board through japanese rakute website.

st anton - you are right. there is tricky for piste. I just managed the dot red lines but very dangerous. however, I love it and will come back again on one day.

i have booked air tickets to zurich early january. i plan to st moritz and montafon. i know shoulder season started at 10/1/09 in montafon. do you guys have any recommendation for place to stay in both areas. i prefer to rent a chalet or apartment for 2 ppls. moreover, i might rent one more for my friends they are considering to go with me.

p.s. i have not visited the above links yet for searching accomodations. i don't mind staying a little bit far away from villages but make sure i can catch the shuttle bus (free) that run along with cable car stations.

happy happy holiday!!!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
hi fatirishman

http://www.daerfli.com/

thank you for your information. however i don't germen and don't understand what it say. i tried to click webpages and found there is a package that includes 6 days skipass (just guess). is it right? i like the kitchen one of apartment A but i don't know how many metre square and the price.

do you have more comprehensive website to recommend to me.

anyway, thank you in advance
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
hi all guys

germen dictionary - i have searched many websites, but i can't find instant translation for germen to english. do you guys have websites like this: http://www.excite.co.jp/world/chinese/
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I usually use babelfish for translation. That would get it from German into some sort of English for you.
ski holidays
I've been there twice in the last two years. Both times stayed in Schruns, it's by far the biggest town/village in the valley. That said, and already posted here, theres not a lot of nightlife, one busy apres ski bar at the bottom of the lift and perhaps two other bars in the town. Otherwise it's hotel bars. I'm told theres an "adult" bar somewhere but I never found it.(Honest).
There's a reasonable selection of restaurants, including a couple of Italian and a Spanish tapas bar.
Last year I did'nt pre-book accomodation, just arrived at the tourist office and they gave me a list of offers. B+B was €25 per night. This was in February.
Be careful though if booking through the website. They group accomodation for Schruns and Tschagguns together, Tschagguns is across the valley and the main road and altogether quieter. It would be about a 15min walk from Schruns although there is a bus and train service.
Daytrips are easy to the other resorts in the valley, St. Gallenkirch, Golm, Gargellen, etc. all wellworth doing. Some planning involved, the buses are only at hourly intervals. From the head of the valley you can take a guided trip off piste over to Galtur near Ischgl, I've not done it but am told it's a fabulous day out.
Skiing in Schruns itself is good, mostly blues and reds but with plenty of scope for off piste. The sport centre at the top of the gondola rents out a huge amount of equipment, you'll see people coming down the slopes in and on all kinds of odd vehicles.
Mountain restaurants are good, if conditions are right theres a fabulous 12km long blue run back to Schruns, including the longest ski tunnel in the Alps, (or maybe the world, I can't remember which).
All this on a rail route from Friedrichshafen airport, one way fare about €20 and a journey time of probably about an hour. What more could you ask for.
PS As already stated, don't tell anybody about it, we want to keep it a secret.
PPS Don't expect to hear much English spoken, most visitors are German.
snow report
Further to my post above I have just read back through the thread and note your arrival dates. For the week beginning 10th and 17th Jan the tourist board are holding a special promotion. Certain accomodation providers listed are doing a five day special, you stay 7 nights with 7 day skipass and only pay for 5 nights accomodation and a 5 day liftpass. Food however will be charged for the 7 days.
snow report
hi all guys

i must keep the secret and will not tell peoples they are not addicted skiers. btw, the shuttle bus in the area is free if i have a skipass, right? moreover, could you tell me about appartment and chalet locations? are they just away from villages in 10s mins walk and along to the shuttle bus routes? in fact, i prefer to stay at chalet and i have experience that the rental would be expensive a little bit let say euro 30-40 per night for a flat. if you have such info, please forward to me. however, i will keep searching on internet as welll even i don't understand german.

thanks all

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Thu 11-09-08 17:40; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
loobylou wrote:
Further to my post above I have just read back through the thread and note your arrival dates. For the week beginning 10th and 17th Jan the tourist board are holding a special promotion. Certain accomodation providers listed are doing a five day special, you stay 7 nights with 7 day skipass and only pay for 5 nights accomodation and a 5 day liftpass. Food however will be charged for the 7 days.

yes, like this http://www.daerfli.com/inhalt.htm - due to i don't understand german, i guess that the price was for 7 nights and 6 days ski pass included.

so, please forward me the webpage you read to me so as to check the location to see if i prefered (closed to Schruns by walk)

thanks
snow report
Ehttp://www.montafon.at/ViewPage.asp?Site=MONTAFON&PageID=1&lang=199eeh OK, have a look here
latest report
Sorry, made a mess of that link, trying again,
http://www.montafon.at/ViewPage.asp?Site=MONTAFON&PageID=1&lang=199
Did that work? Over 50 (almost) at play.
snow report
yes, the link is work but it forwards to home page. i selected the 5 night paid for 7 days stay that prices are little bit higher than normal search. that is euro 90 for selecting the discount, if not, it shows price for euro 40 -50. end up, the discount option is expensive than not select. does the price included skipass? if yes, the price should be ok.
snow report
just visited st moritz website, there is double price compare to montafon

http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=42178

if any has recommendation, pls give me advice.

thanks
snow report
It sounds like some of you have experience staying schrunns and tchsagguns and taking the bus to get other ski areas. I'm thinking about staying there without a car. Is this doable? About how long of a bus ride is it from schrunns to the silveretta nova and gargellan ski area?

thanks,

mat
ski holidays
asland, its very doable, but would suggest making sure your accommodation is , on the bus route and better still in Schrunns. All the resorts are reasonably big so well worth the bus ride.
snow report
From Schruns the Silvretta Nova area is about 20 mins bus journey, (from memory), Gargellan about 30 mins. Asland, note your location, I don't know why but there seemed to be a large number of US skiiers in Gargellan last year, probably more then I have come across in any single area of the Alps.
snow conditions
There are 4 main ski areas although they boast 8 i think. Gargellen is the only resort with very good access to the slopes. Silvretta Nova is the biggest. Hochjoch is served by Schruns and Silbertal and Golm by Vandans. I was there last April and we did an experiment to only speak english (despite being able to speak German). It is certainly the least English speaking region of Austria, with few restaurants even having English menus - be warned. Good skiing though.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy