Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

bindings??I know nothing

Poster: A snowHead
I'm trying to get my son some decent bindings. Failed to get some Ride spi's on ebay. I know nothing about snowboarding coz I ski. Can someone tell me what to look out for i want to get him some decent ones pref' off ebay.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
mostly you'll want bindings that will fit around your boots and your style of riding - some makes aren't that compatible e.g. burtons and salomons can come up quite narrow compared to other brands like 32 or vans. also, some bindings are more for freestyle than all mountain/freeride, so will be less/more stiff as appropriate.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
andyjc, can't go wrong with Ride - I should try again.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
andyjc, what size do you need? you sould try here for some M or L 2007 ride spis for £80 seems like a good price.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
andyjc, you need to make sure they'll fit his boots, just check you get the right size! Ride are fairly well regarded as are most of the major brands Rome are also good IMO and I use Salomons although some people aren't a fan of them. Bindings are definitely something where you get what you pay for, more so than boards IMO, although you might still grab a last season bargin.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
He is a large, size 10. I didn't want to limit my search for Ride spi's. I was hoping to pick up a bargain on one of the ebays, GB or Germany maybe . But like I say I don't know what I'm looking at.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Dare I mention FLOW?… Toofy Grin

andyjc, I'd hazard a guess that a size 10 falls into the XL of most manufacturers, but it is always worth taking the boot into somewhere like TSA and have a quite fit and then going off and buying online. Mind you am I right in thinking most boots will have a snug fit in a binding anyway and when you tighten down, regardless of the type of binding, the boot will be snug. Well, that's what I find with both my Rides and my Flows...

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Mon 17-11-08 16:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

Dare I mention FLOW?…

Beginner.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

Dare I mention FLOW?…

Beginner.

Pah....
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
andyjc, what board does your son have? If it's a Burton then you should go for Burton bindings. All other brands seem to be compatible with each other but burton has a different screw layout
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
you can mount non-burton bindings on Burton boards
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yeah but you may need a special adapter. Trust me, I had a Burton Custom and Salomon Bindings and, although they fitted, they were slightly out of place which meant the screws started wearing off
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fair enough - I have a number of friends with Burton boards who use an assortment of bindings (non-Burton) and I didn't hear a complaint.
Did your Salomons come with the adapter?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Jagerbull, no they didn't but when I noticed the screws were wearing off I asked in a shop in Austria and they told me I may be able to get the adapters. Didn't need to tho because I have since bought a Salomon board and am using my bindings with them and have bought Burton bindings for my Custom and they're perfect!

Maybe the problem is just between Burton and Salomon... Puzzled
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I think most bindings these days will come with the Burton adapter.
snow report
certainly Rome does.
snow conditions
whilst were on the subject(ish) whats the sketch with the new burton EST attachment system .. I guess you've got 2 hopes of putting them on a non burton board..
snow report
His board is a Palmer...
snow conditions
Quote:

but it is always worth taking the boot into somewhere like TSA and have a quite fit and then going off and buying online

The industry just love people like you Specialman!

Besides, it is easier to just go online and check the manufacturers' websites to see what size you need.
snow report
Now that Flow have been derided. How much are you looking to spend?
latest report
the ice perv, hey, I'm only stating the obvious. Anyway, where did I say don't buy from the UK industry? It's obvious that we're all going to shop around for the best deal - you do what you can to save money.

Bleedin' hell, you can't say anything on here these days... rolling eyes
snow report
I have old Salomon boots and I have had no probs using them with Drakes or Burtons.

My current bindings are excellent - Burton C60s.
snow conditions
stone the boarder with Flow bindings ! Very Happy
snow conditions
rayscoops, that goes without saying.
snow report
andyjc, given the feelings that bindings seem to provoke, maybe you should ask your son which camp he wants to belong to..... don't want the poor lad to be a pariah!
snow report
Sorry Specialman, I've bought plenty of gear off the net, I just don't think it is right to waste a shop worker's time when he could be dealing with genuine customers, particularly in the current climate. If you buy on the net, do your research on the net too, plenty of info out there.
latest report
rayscoops, harsh but fair Laughing
latest report
rayscoops, and I thought we we're getting on!! Smile

the ice perv, I understand what you mean – I wouldn't want to have my time wasted if I worked in a shop. However, there are still a lot of web retailers who have actual premises – Filarinskis, Chain Reaction – who are much cheaper and are still 'proper' trade and not ebay monkeys.

TSA are without doubt the best-known of the kit retailers and I suppose that's due to a good marketing depertment (and a healthy relationship with the magazines) but they are no way the cheapest. I only used them as an example because they have a fairly wide stock. However, my pound has to stretch a long way these days – like most people's does – and if you can get a bargain then you do what you can to get it, even if that means doing a fitting in a shop and possibly buying elsewhere.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Specialman, I am a Flow man too, even have a Flow board Laughing Shocked let ye without sin cast the first stone Very Happy

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Wed 19-11-08 13:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
Anyone has any experience of these:

Volkl Fastec

They do seem good, like improved Cinchs..
snow conditions
rayscoops, which board? looked at a few in the past (in a shop of course Smile) but not really heard much about them.
snow report
Specialman, Flow Infinite 163 - all mountain free ride board and is as stable as a rock at high speeds. As with all stiffish boards you need to drive it a bit rather than flip/flex it about.
snow conditions
I'm told to get the standard strap in ones! I've sourced some Ride RX for $99. Just a case of getting them here. I can get them to a relative in the US who can post them on, probably for around $20/30. Is this a good deal? are they any good?
ski holidays
i have the Ride DVa and they are excellent, not sure about the RX, but the brand are good so go for it !
snow report
rogg, went on the link above and purchased some Ride Ex's 2007 model for £55. These are good for early through to advanced intermediate so I'm told, these will see him through for the next 3 or 4 seasons if that's the case. Thanks for your help everyone.
snow report
andyjc, hope your son's pleased - excellent price too !
ski holidays
if i was an xl i's almost certainly have joined the stab school of bling........

ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy