Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Why, why, WHY....Spyder stuff is so ugly!! Why would you buy it?

Poster: A snowHead
Title says it all.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
and it's now so common.
The modern day C&A of ski wear.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Have to agree. There were three rather bouncy and noisy Brit kids dressed head to tail on Spyder gear in the funicular at Tignes when we were there. They looked as though they were on their way to a fancy(ing-themselves) dress party.
ski holidays
 brian
brian
Boredsurfing, at least C&A was as cheap as it looked.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have to wear spyder gear in work :theshamepleasekillme:
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
brian, Laughing
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm particularly enjoying the blurb for the men's 'fly-suit' - "The street-inspired boxer-style lining on pants for ultimate butt-crack protection", apparently. Laughing Laughing Laughing
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I hate most of it, but hubbys plain black one is rather nice.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have a Spyder jacket but form their Freeride sorta line-it's pretty nice otherwise I wouldn't have bought it. Hate the old school Spyder styles and pretty much everything Snow and ROck/Ellis B stock.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
brian wrote:
Boredsurfing, at least C&A was as cheap as it looked.

I always thought they wrote C&A on women's underwear so they knew which way round to put it on.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Helen Beaumont, Ditto bought an all black one with bairly visable logos and it is quite nice but hardly wear it any more actually goes well with jeans for a cold night at home
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Northerners trying to look well off by sporting hidiously bright knock-off chinese Spyder bought on Ebay. wink Often seen crossing skis in Bulgarian resorts. Smile
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The reason everyone's wearing it is that most are shanghai imports. Last year in Austria I saw the same jacket about fifty times. When I looked on Spyders web site they did not make the jacket I saw. Smile
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
clive5 wrote:
The reason everyone's wearing it is that most are shanghai imports. Last year in Austria I saw the same jacket about fifty times. When I looked on Spyders web site they did not make the jacket I saw. Smile

It would have been from a range 3/4 yrs old. Some of the latest Spyder stuff is pretty cool and quite subtle, especially the ladies range.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I must admit I've never been a fan due to the logos etc. I can't believe the price of some of it! For the same money or less there are other high quality mountaineering brands you can buy instead which are great e.g Arcteryx or the top end technical North Face stuff.
ski holidays
VolklAttivaS5, TNF still has the urban pseud image to live down.

And Arcteryx has been done unspeakably many times both here and in the real world.
ski holidays
Hmm... the Venom line is really nice. Don't really care about the rest, it's a bit plain and old school.
snow report
Downhilldan, No it was not from a range three to four years old this stuff was designed by some guy in a Chinese sweatshop. You could see the material was as cheap as the people wearing it.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I bought some Spyder stuff (at a very cheap price) a few years ago and it's probably the warmest kit I've ever worn.
snow report
rob@rar wrote:
I bought some Spyder stuff (at a very cheap price) a few years ago and it's probably the warmest kit I've ever worn.

Genuine Spyder is superbly well made and spec'd, it just looks shite. A bit like Yank cars I suppose.
snow conditions
Quote:

TNF still has the urban pseud image to live down.

Does this mean I have to throw mine out? Shame, I had banked on it lasting the next 10 years.

What has the correct image this week then?
snow conditions
Lizzard wrote:
Quote:

TNF still has the urban pseud image to live down.

Does this mean I have to throw mine out? Shame, I had banked on it lasting the next 10 years.

What has the correct image this week then?

You're fine, just stay away from surf brands on anything other than wetsuits.
ski holidays
Downhilldan, well gthat's a relief, since I really can't afford a new jacket even if I wanted one. And I get to keep my wetsuit as well, bonus. Am I OK wearing M&S knickers or do they have to be called Icebreaker and made of Kevlar/silk mix? Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, I'll bet you're relieved about that. wink Try not to worry too much.
ski holidays
comprex, yes there have been threads on Snowheads on both TNF and Arcteryx. Arcteryx doesn't seem to have anything bad said about it, not has anyone suggested it looks chav AFAIK like some say TNF is, but I know given the choice between buying some Spyder gear or some Arcteryx gear I'd know what I'd rather have and I'd save a few quid in the process so it seems based on the cost of some of the Spyder stuff on the Snow & Rock website like for like compared to other brands say.
Besides even if Spyder are good technically I just don't like the look of their stuff IMO. Some people probably love it though. Very Happy Everyone's got something to say about every brand pretty much haven't they, so....

Very Happy
snow report
There's a load of 'snob value' attached to Arcteryx 'coz it's so soddin' expensive and you can't buy it cheap.
ski holidays
Discerning skiers wear Eider wink
snow conditions
And those who wear a combination of Spyder+Eider? Laughing
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
horizon wrote:
Discerning skiers wear Eider wink

........downs and salo's made from Duvets. It's a good look. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Downhilldan, I haven't got any but a lot of people on here have said it's good stuff that use it all season actively not just sat round having a coffee on a mountain restaurant terrace having a sunbathe. I can't say if that's right or not because like I say, I haven't got any. All I'm saying is that if I had a £600 voucher to buy either a Spyder jacket or an Arctertyx jacket, as in one or the other and couldn't choose anything else, I'd go with the Arcteryx definitely. Besides according to Snow & Rock the most expensive Arcteryx jacket on their page is £400 and the most expensive Spyder jacket on their page is £750. I have seen some Arcteryx stuff in the sales before now online, I think a while back someone posted a thread about it.

Either way there is no way I would pay £750 on a jacket of any brand and even £400 is a bit much I think. I have a top end TNF technical jacket which I've found to be really good, so I'm not about to bin it because some people think TNF is chav for example.
snow report
Downhilldan, my arc'teryx climbing trousers cost me £10.
snow conditions
Spyder have 7 different catalogues of ranges. S & R etc seem to only choose product from the Legend Series Puzzled It sells out every year though.
The ranges apart from that are cutting edge both in design and materials, Venom, Freeride & Big Mountain stuff are superb, fantastic quality, easy to wear and built to last.
Don't judge Spyder by what you see in S & R.
ski holidays
Quote:

built to last.

But so often the people who buy the top gear have to have new stuff every year anyway.
latest report
VolklAttivaS5 wrote:
Downhilldan, I haven't got any but a lot of people on here have said it's good stuff that use it all season actively not just sat round having a coffee on a mountain restaurant terrace having a sunbathe. .

Yep, there a still a lot that buy it 'coz it has Arcteryx written on the arm. Me? I wear my Sidewinder for most things. Smile
snow report
Downhilldan, yeah there is that. But then there are also people who buy other brands for the same reason!

Spyderman, I know that Spyder have more in their range than what it is at Snow & Rock. I was using the S&R pages online to show that Arcteryx is not expensive compared to what else S&R stock. There are also plenty of other brands like KJUS and Peak Performance that are more expensive again than both Spyder and Arcteryx.

At the end of the day I think people buy what they like the look of, of course they will consider technical features etc etc as well for what they need or think they need. Pretty much any jacket of any brand that has cost £300-£400 or less in a lot of cases, will serve the purpose of the typical skier of a few weeks skiing per year for a fair few seasons, in all but the harshest mountain conditions. Like pamw says, many people (and I include myself in this) don't buy a new jacket because theirs has worn out or they wouldn't buy a new one for yonks otherwise (I exclude mountain professionals in this who are out there all season because they are wearing the stuff for it's purpose for months on end, not just a couple of weeks a year like most ski people) they buy one because they fancy a new one, or they fancy a change, or they buy some new salopettes and the current jacket doesn't match or something like that. Very Happy

I think most jackets, even the cheap ones end up being replaced by something new and on ebay a lot sooner than they ever would have worn out. There is plenty of good quality stuff out there now with the competition across the quality brands that there is, all with very similar features. Just comes down to personal preference after that I reckon. Very Happy
snow report
pam w wrote:
Quote:

built to last.

But so often the people who buy the top gear have to have new stuff every year anyway.

I have something new every year, but at the end of the first season it still looks perfect, whereas some brands already look tired.

Just as an aside, Spyder Jackets price range is from not much more than £150 up to about £7000. Ranging from Plain colours through to traditional multi-coloured stuff, as well as many different styles. The range really is truly enormous.
snow report
Spyder is for losers.
snow report
So is it wrong of me to like this then? Confused
latest report
Schuss in Boots, yes, it's horrible. Laughing
snow report
Lizzard, Laughing Ok, in that case I offer you a crisp new fiver and all the lemonade you can drink for your red fartbag then... Laughing
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy